The site was probably the location of one of the medieval mills of St. Dogmaels, which survived until the 16th Century at least. The site appears vacant on the 1838 tithe map.
The present building was constructed in 1886, probably for Thomas Jones, with stone quarried from the Abbey ruins. In 1891 the following persons lived here: Martha Jones, 51, wife; Phoebe Hannah Jones, 17, her daughter; and Tom Jones, 14, son. Thomas Jones lived here in 1891-1916. In 1891-1920 Martha Jones lived here. In 1891-1908 Miss Phoebe Hannah Jones lived here. In 1900 William Daniel Jones lived here. In 1901 the following persons lived here: Martha Jones, 60, wife (b. Moylegrove); & Phoebe H. Jones, 27, daughter (b. St. Dogmaels). The household was bilingual. On December 27th 1908 Phoebe Hannah Jones, 35, daughter of sailor Thomas Jones, married John Thomas of Barry Dock. In 1911 the following persons lived here: Thomas Jones, 67, retired mariner (b. St. Dogmaels); Martha Jones, 71, his wife; and William Jones, 38, their son, mariner (b. St. Dogmaels). On June 23rd 1913 William Daniel Jones, 41, son of Thomas & Martha Jones, drowned at the Cardigan Bar with two other men, when the ‘Eos’ capsized. On January 7th 1916 Thomas Jones died aged 72. In 1918 Martha Jones and Thomas James Jones lived here. Thomas Jones’ widow, Martha Jones, died on April 6th 1920 aged 80.
John Owen lived here in 1921-41. In 1924-61 Mrs. Catherine Ann Owen lived here. In 1938-39 Miss Mary C. Owens lived here. In 1940-43 Miss Joan Owen lived here. In February 1941 John Owens died aged 68. He left a widow, Mrs. Catherine Anne Owens, and a daughter – Miss Mary Catherine Owens. In October 1945 the property was advertised for sale. In 1955 David Henry Evans, Mary C. Evans and Catherine Anne Owens lived here. Mary Catherine Owens had clearly married David Henry Evans before this date. In July 1961 Mrs. Catherine Ann Owens died. On 27th September 1971 David Henry Evans died.
The property was advertised for sale in September 2002 and again in 2006 and 2010. Ca. 2011 new front windows were installed.
Rubble stone 2 storey 3 window house of ca1886 with slate gable roof, red brick end stacks and cement rendered end walls. C19 and C20 rear extensions and replacement windows. Raised stucco bands around all façade openings. Fenestration all replaced in later C20.
Tithe Map for St. Dogmaels 1838
Census Returns 1891; 1901; 1911
Occupiers List of Voters – St. Dogmaels 30/07/1894
St. Dogmaels Parish Register – Marriages 1837-1970
Register of Electors – Cardigan 1912; 1955
Annual Report – Capel Seion, St. Dogmaels 1924
Cardigan & Tivy-Side Advertiser 1900; 1913; 1920; 1940-41; 1943; 1945; 1961; 1971; 2002
Blaenwaun Baptist Chapel Annual Report 1938; 1939; 1944
Monumental Inscriptions, St. Dogmaels Cemetery
St. Dogmales Parochial School Register.
Monumental Inscriptions, Blaenwaun Chapel cemetery
© Glen K. Johnson 16/07/2013.