On 13th August 1574 the “…tenement and lands…”of Tythen Aberdare, then in the tenure of Howell David John and said to be in Ferwig parish, was the subject of a £20 mortgage to Rees ap Morgan ap Owen of Richardston, Pembrokeshire, from Owen ap Rees Phellip of Crugbychan, Ferwig. The witnesses of the document were: Rees Gwynne, Nicholas ap Rees and Ievan Thomas Griffith Ychan.
On 10th July 1686 Jane Yong, probably of Aberdare Hall, wrote her will, which was proved on 9th November 1686. She referred to her daughters: Jane Yong; Martha (a minor); Elizabeth; and Mary Yong.
The name ‘Aberdare’ was used by Lewis Morris on his 1748 plan of Cardigan Bay, Bar & Harbour.
In 1814 William Jenkins lived here.
The present house was built at some time between 1820 and 1840.
On 26th May 1826 Griffith Jenkins of Aberdare, tenant farmer, wrote his will. He referred to his son William Jenkins; daughter Anne Jones; son David Jenkins; and wife Elizabeth Jenkins.
In June 1828 Griffith Jenkins died here aged 76.
In September 1833 Charles Alban North died here aged 4 months.
On 26th August 1836 Elizabeth Jenkins of Aberdare, widow, wrote her will. She referred to Anne Jenkins, daughter of her deceased son David Jenkins; Margaret Jenkins, daughter of the same; Thomas Jenkins, son of her son William Jenkins; Phoebe Jenkins, daughter of the same; Anne Jones, daughter; and William Jenkins, son.
In September 1836 Elizabeth Jenkins died here aged 86.
In 1838-40 the property was owned and occupied by John Phillips.
Aberdare was advertised for sale in 1839 as a: “…commodious and substantially built brick marine residence close to Cardigan Bar…” The building is actually constructed of stone!
On 16th January 1839 John & Margaret Phillips, farmers, had their son, William Phillips, christened at St. Mary’s Church.
In 1841 Matilda Gibbs, 50, farmer, lived here with three servants – Elinor Jones, 20; Mary Davies, 40; and Griffith Davies, 25. Matilda Mitchell, 40, may also have been resident.
On 14th July 1842 John Gibbs of Aberdare Hall was buried at St. Mary’s Church, having died aged 65.
In 1847 Aberdare Hall was owned by Mr. Hall and occupied by Rev. Evans, together with just over 1 acre.
In 1851 the occupiers were William Jones, 34 (b. Llanfihangel); Sarah Jones, 36, his wife (b. Llantood); and servants Thomas Jenkins, 22 (b. Tremain); and Margaret Lewis, 18 (b. Llangoedmor).
In 1861 Aberdare Hall was occupied by Josuah James, 49, farmer of 48 acres (b. Cardigan); Sarah James, 40, his wife (b. Cenarth); and two servants: Abraham Evans, 18, carter (b. Capel Colman); and Mary Jones, 24, house servant (b. Llangoedmor).
In 1868-75 John Davies was the farmer.
In 1871 the following persons lived here: John Davies, 58, farmer of 40 acres; Anne Davies, 54, his wife; John Davies, 23, their son; Eliza Davies, 15, daughter; Hannah Davies, 13, daughter; and Margaret Davies, 8, daughter. All of the family had been born in Nevern parish.
On 9th July 1875 Aberdare Hall, together with Nantyferwig and 47 acres, was advertised for sale.
In 1880 Thomas R. Nicholas lived here with Sarah Ellen Nicholas and Mary Charlotte Nicholas, having recently moved here from No. 28 High Street, and still owned shares in ‘The Cardigan Mercantile Co.’
On 20th September 1880 Jane Davies of Aberdare Hall, married David Elias, carpenter, of Blaenporth.
In 1880 Thomas R. Nicholas and John W. Nicholas, farmers, lived at Aberdare Hall.
In 1881 the following persons lived here: Thomas James, 50 (b. Eglwyswrw); Hannah James, 50, his wife; and Mary H. Davies, 22, dairymaid.
On 23rd December 1881 Aberdare Hall was advertised to let – Thomas R. Nicholas having moved to No. 49 Pendre.
In 1891 Aberdare Hall was home to Thomas James, 61; Hannah James, 61, his wife; Hannah Davies, their niece; and Elizabeth Morgan, 17, servant. Thomas James spoke English and Welsh, the rest of the household spoke Welsh only.
In 1893 Edith Jones, spinster, lived at Aberdare Farm.
In 1894 Mrs. Jones lived at Aberdare Farm.
In 1895 Mrs. Esther Jones was the farmer of Aberdare Farm.
On 29th October 1895 Arthur Llewelyn Lewis of Carmarthen married Miss Hannah Jones of Aberdare Farm.
It may have been a guest house in 1899.
In 1901 Rev. David Hughes, the Calvinistic Methodist Minister of Tabernacl Chapel, Cardigan, apparently lived here.
In 1901-40 John & Anna Jones lived and farmed here.
In 1901 the following persons lived here: John Jones, 31 (b. Llangrannog); and his wife Anna Jones, 24 (b. Cardigan). Both were Welsh-speaking.
In 1907 William Hope Hall lived here – the only surviving son of the late William James Benjamin Hall of Bryntirion, St. Dogmaels, and his wife, Joan Eliza James.
On 17th June 1908 Mrs. E. Jones of Aberdare died aged 69.
On 26th April 1909 Miss Sarah Eliza Mitchell, daughter of the late William Wagner Mitchell, died at Aberdare Farm aged 52.
In August 1909 John Jones of Aberdare Farm was elected a Deacon of Tabernacl C. M. Chapel.
In 1924-26 Evan Ceredig Evans, a retired Cardigan chemist, lived here.
In 1933-62 Samuel Jones lived at Aberdare Farm.
On 23rd March 1940 Sarah Myfanwy Jones, elder daughter of Mr. & Mrs. John Jones, married Charles Vaughan Llewelyn Edmunds of Newport, Mon.
On 10th November 1940 John Jones of Aberdare Farm died aged 73.
On 4th January 1941 Mrs. Hannah Jones of Aberdare Farm died while preparing to go to the funeral of her brother – Tom Jones of Trebared. Her husband had died a few weeks earlier.
In June 1945 Charles Vaughan Llewelyn Edmunds, husband of Mrs. Sarah Myfanwy Edmunds nee’ Jones of Aberdare Hall, arrived here after 5 years as a prisoner-of-war.
On 16th August 1947 Miss Shelia Williams, younger daughter of Mr. & Mrs. W. M. H. Williams of Aberdare Hall, married Captain Ian M. Munroe of Cardiff.
In 1955-76 Mrs. Hannah Jones lived at Aberdare Farm.
In April 1962 Samuel Jones, son of the late Mr. & Mrs. John Jones, died aged 60.
In 1983 permission was granted for a building to be erected nearby for the repair and storage of boats.
On 20th October 1989 the property, together with 31 acres, was sold by auction at the Guildhall, Cardigan.
In 1992 the house became a listed building.
In July 1998 the 5 bedroom property was advertised for sale with 25 acres.
On November 22nd 2001 the property was sold.
The house was described by CADW in 1992:
“…Circa 1820-40 house in squared blue lias stone with slate roof, coped gables and stone end stacks. Formal 3-window front, 2-storeys with centre attic pediment. Deep bracketed eaves and similar brackets to pediment which has tripartite arched window. 12-pane sashes and centre tripartite 4-12-4 pane sash to first floor, all with cut blue lias voussoirs and slate sills. Similar sashes to ground flooreach side of broad arched doorway with voussoirs, ledged door with sidelights and fine traceried fanlight. Windowless stone end walls, whitewashed rear wall with rear wing to left and round arched stair light to right with flanking 12-pane sashes each floor. Rear wing has one 12-pane sash above, door, window and door below. Lean-to on east end.
INTERIOR – Plaster rose in entrance hall, stick baluster staircase…”
Cardigan Bay, Bar & Harbour, Lewis Morris 1748
NLW Bronwydd MS 2860
Cardigan – Map by John Wood 1834
St. Mary’s Parish Register , Cardigan
Parish Registers – Llangoedmor
NLW Minor Deposit 490-9B
Census Returns 1841; 1851; 1861; 1871; 1881; 1891; 1901
Tithe Map for St. Mary’s Parish 1847
Slater’s Directory of South Wales 1868
Kelly’s Directory of South Wales 1875; 1914; 1926
Worral’s Directory of South Wales 1875
Cardigan & Tivy-Side Advertiser 1880-81; 1893-95; 1908-09; 1914; 1923; 1925; 1927; 1933-35;
1937-38; 1940-41; 1945; 1947; 1949; 1962; 1989; 1998; 2002
O. S. Map 1886 etc.
Hope English Congregational Chapel Records
A Guide to Cardigan & District, William Edward Yerward James 1899
Annual Report – Tabernacl C. M. Chapel, Cardigan 1901; 1924
The History of Cardiganshire, Samuel Rush Meyrick, 1907 edition.
List of Voters – Cardigan 25/07/1910
Register of Electors – Cardigan 1912; 1955; 1994
Postcard – Mouth of River Teifi, Cardigan, Harold Squibbs c1925
Official Programme – National Eisteddfod 1976
Planning Decision – Aberdare Farm 25/01/1983; 08/03/1991
Buildings of Architectural or Historic Interest – Cardigan, CADW 1992