• ALBRO, HIGH STREET

    by  • August 17, 2013 • House, Modern, Pembrokeshire, Period, Post-Medieval, Site Type, St. Dogmaels • 0 Comments

    History:

    There was an unoccupied dwelling here in 1881. In the late 1880’s Eliza & Thomas Nugent lived here. In 1891 the following persons lived here: Eliza Nugent, 52, widow, living on own means; and Thomas Nugent, 24, her son. Both were Welsh-speaking and were born in the parish. On 11th March 1893 Edwin Force of High Street, former St. Dogmaels Royal Naval Reserve Artillery Battery instructor, died aged 52. In 1893-1901 Anne Force lived here. In 1901 Albro was occupied by Anne Force, 58, widow, bilingual; and Margaret Bowen, 70, her sister, widow, laundry woman, Welsh-speaking. Both were born in the parish. In 1906 this was the home of Thomas Nugent, blacksmith. In January 1907 reference was made to T. Nugent’s pharmacy, St. Dogmaels. On 1st September 1908 James Miles Nugent, son of Thomas & Hannah Eliza Nugent of Albro, died aged 8. In 1914 Thomas Nugent of Albro House became a Deacon of Blaenwaun Baptist Chapel. In 1914-32 Thomas Nugent of Albro was the Master of the Cardigan Union Workhouse. In February 1925 Thomas Nugent acquired the old ‘Bush Inn’ on Cardigan High Street, where his son, G. J. Nugent, later opened a chemist’s shop. In 1938-39 Thomas Nugent lived here. In 1939 Mrs. Nugent lived here. On 22nd January 1940 Thomas Nugent died aged 72. His widow, Hannah Eliza Nugent, died on 10th October 1953 aged 85.

    Description:

    Albro in May 2008 (c) Glen K Johnson

    Albro in May 2008 (c) Glen K Johnson

    Mid terrace two storey 3 window late C19 range in unpainted roughcast with pitched slate roof, narrow eaves with paired brackets, and red brick end stacks. Raised stucco bands to angles and around openings. Centre door, half-glazed with glazed overlight, painted timber doorcase with projecting hood on brackets. Above door is narrow 2-light with glazed margins. Full size horned sashes elsewhere, plate glass with marginal glazing bars and coloured glass to angles. Painted stone sills. Cast iron rainwater goods. Dwarf wall enclosing forecourt has slate coping, iron railings with dog bars and spearheads. Iron gate.

    Sources:

    Subscriber’s List for Rebuilding Blaenywaun Baptist Chapel 1880’s

    Census Returns 1881; 1891; 1901

    Occupiers List of Voters – St. Dogmaels 1894

    Kelly’s Directory of South Wales 1906

    Cardigan & Tivy-Side Advertiser 1893; 1907; 1925; 1969; 1999; 2003

    Blaenwaun Baptist Chapel Annual Report 1938; 1939

    Monumental Inscriptions, Blaenwaun Chapel cemetery.

    © Glen K Johnson 17/08/2013.

    About

    Leave a Reply

    Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *