The house was built c.1906 and Messrs. H. O. Davies and John Bowen were the builders employed (the former is named with the date 1906 on a beam). D. Nicholas of Brooklyn Villas offered the newly-built property for sale or let in May 1906. In 1911 the following persons lived here: John Timothy Lewis, 66, retired clergyman (b. Tregaron); Gwilym Lewis, 37, his son, architect’s assistant (b. Solva); Gwladys Lewis, 29, daughter (b. Llanfyrnach); and Elizabeth Lewis, 26, daughter (b. Llanfyrnach). All were bilingual. In 1912 the Misses Lewis lived here. In 1914 Gwilym M. Lewis and the Misses Lewis lived here. On 14th April 1917 John Edward Jones, National School, married Elizabeth Constance Lewis, daughter of Rev John Timothy Lewis of Argo Villa. On August 22nd 1917 Ethel Rose Lewis of Argo Villa, 39, 2nd daughter of Clerk in Holy Orders Rev. J. T. Lewis, married Rev. William David Roberts, Clerk in Holy Orders of Llanfair Rectory. On 1st October 1920 Argo Villa was advertised for sale. On 22nd February 1923 Rev. John Timothy Lewis of Argo Villa died aged 77. In April 1923 Argo Villa was advertised for sale or let.
Captain John William Jones & Mrs. M Jones lived here in 1923-39. In 1928-41 Miss Mollie Jones lived here. In 1930-40 David Morgan Jones lived here – the son of Captain John William Jones. In 1930-40 Miss Mary Davies lived here. In June 1933 Captain J. Jones was home from sea – his ship was the S. S. “Vera Radcliffe”. In June 1935 Captain John W. Jones received a Jubilee Medal from the King for service to the merchant navy. On 23rd July 1939 Captain John William Jones died aged 74. On 1st November 1941 Miss Molly Jones, only daughter of the late Captain John W. Jones, M..B..E., & Mrs Jones of Argo Villa, married Huw Evans, solicitor, son of Mr. & Mrs. T. H. Evans, Mount Pleasant, High Street. In 1941-55 Huw Evans lived here.
On 21st January 1977 Argo Villa was advertised for sale. In 2008 the property became a guest house.
Two storey and attic villa of c1906 with squared projecting gable-fronted bays flanking entrance. Painted stucco with plate glass sashes and slate gabled roofs with large end stacks.
Census Returns 1911
Kelly’s Directory of South Wales 1914; 1926
St. Dogmaels Parish Register – Marriages 1837-1970
Annual Report – Capel Seion, St. Dogmaels 1924; 1952
Cardigan & Tivy-Side Advertiser 1906; 1912; 1914; 1917; 1920; 1923; 1930; 1933-35; 1937-41; 1944-45; 1977; 1998
Post Office Telephone Directory 1955.
© Glen K Johnson 16/07/2013.