• About glen

    CARDIGAN ISLAND

    by  • December 15, 2014 • Ceredigion, Ferwig, Medieval, Period • 0 Comments

      History: There is evidence of a settlement here from the Post Roman period. On the island is a long embankment, dividing the land area into two, and an eroded circular enclosure containing the apparent foundations of buildings. There is also evidence of ploughing in the medieval and post-medieval periods. An extent of Cardigan...

    Read more →

    BRIG ‘ERIN’ OF CARDIGAN

    by  • June 12, 2014 • Uncategorized • 0 Comments

      The ‘Erin‘ was a Cardigan Brig of 126 tons,launched in 1828 at Cardigan. From 1828 until 1835 Captain David Morgan was the master of the ship. In February 1828 she sailed from Cardigan to Cardiff – presumably her first voyage.In February 1830 she sailed from London via Milford to Liverpool. In July that...

    Read more →

    BRIG ‘ECLAIR’ OF CARDIGAN

    by  • June 11, 2014 • Uncategorized • 0 Comments

      The ‘Eclair‘ was a Cardigan Brig of 161 tons, built in 1817 at Swansea. From 1817-21 Captain James Morse was her master and sailed her to Milford and Newport, Monmouthshire.In September 1817 the ‘Eclair‘ sailed from Waterford to Newport, Monmouthshire, where she took on a cargo of coal before sailing to Cork, stopping...

    Read more →

    SLOOP ‘CERES’ OF ST. DOGMAELS

    by  • June 11, 2014 • Uncategorized • 0 Comments

      The ‘Ceres‘ was a St. Dogmaels owned Sloop of 45 tons, built in 1814 at Cardigan. Captain David Georgewas her master. In August 1814 she sailed from Swansea to Cardigan. In July 1815 she sailed from Cork to Llanelli. In November 1816 she sailed from Liverpool to Aberystwyth. In May 1818 she sailed...

    Read more →

    BRIGANTINE ‘BOADICEA’ OF CARDIGAN

    by  • June 11, 2014 • Uncategorized • 2 Comments

      The ‘Boadicea‘ was a Cardigan Schooner of 136 tons, built in 1841 at Cardigan by William Jones. In February 1841 the new vessel was launched. On 19 February 1841 the following appeared in the ‘Welshman‘: “…On Tuesday week, a splendid schooner, called the “Boadicea”, in honour of Cambria’s ancient and warlike queen, was...

    Read more →

    SCHOONER ‘BLANCHE’ OF CARDIGAN

    by  • June 11, 2014 • Uncategorized • 0 Comments

      A Cardigan Schooner of 89 tons, built in 1808 at Douglas, Nova Scotia. She arrived in Cardigan before the Spring of 1812. From 1812-28 Captain David Morgan and Captain Griffith Morgan had command of the ship – possibly father and son.In May 1812 she sailed from Gloucester to Chepstow and the to Cork....

    Read more →

    BRIG ‘ALLIANCE’ OF CARDIGAN

    by  • June 10, 2014 • Uncategorized • 0 Comments

      The ‘Alliance‘ was a Cardigan Brig of 126 tons with a 12ft draft, built in 1796 at Bideford. In 1809 the ‘Alliance‘ was sold to the Davies family of Bridge House, Bridge Street, Cardigan, for £1580. Captain John Davies, Bridge House, Cardigan became the ship’s first master. In 1809 he sailed to Plymouth and...

    Read more →