• About glen

    No. 3 GREEN STREET (TY CASTELL)

    by  • June 10, 2013 • Cardigan, Ceredigion, House, Modern, Period, Post-Medieval, Site Type • 0 Comments

    History: The name means ‘Castle House’. In 1828-55 Joshua Morgan Thomas, grocer & draper, son of the Rev. Timothy Thomas of Aberduar, lived and traded here. His brother was another Rev. Timothy Thomas of Newcastle Emlyn. Prior to coming to Cardigan, he had kept a school at Nefyn, Caernarfonshire. From 1827-32 Joshua Morgan Thomas,...

    Read more →

    OLD HOPE CHAPEL, CARRIER’S LANE

    by  • June 9, 2013 • Cardigan, Ceredigion, Chapel, Modern, Period, Post-Medieval, Site Type • 0 Comments

    History: Ca. 1836 Thomas Lloyd came to Cardigan to establish a Foundry on the Mwldan with English-speaking Nonconformist workers from Pembrokeshire. He resolved to establish an English Nonconformist Chapel in the town. The Chapel book from 1887 records: “…In 1836 Mr. Thomas Lloyd settled in Cardigan as an Ironmonger. He as well established a...

    Read more →

    PANTYWYLAN, CAMBRIAN QUAY, CARDIGAN

    by  • June 3, 2013 • Cardigan, Ceredigion, Modern, Period, Post-Medieval, Site Type, Warehouse • 0 Comments

    History: The present name means ‘The Gull’s Hollow’. In 1830 J. Griffith had the warehouse built and dated. It is marked on J. Wood’s 1834 map of Cardigan. In 1875-76 Thomas Davies occupied Cambrian Stores here. On 11th May 1877 William James, ironmonger & implement agent, may have been selling manures here. In 1877-83...

    Read more →

    No. 1 CAMBRIAN QUAY, CARDIGAN

    by  • June 3, 2013 • Cardigan, Ceredigion, House, Inn, Modern, Period, Post-Medieval, Site Type • 3 Comments

    History: By 18th April 1871 “The Cambrian Inn” was trading here. In 1871 the following persons lived here: Margaret Thomas, 74, culm merchant (b. Pembrokeshire); Hannah Thomas, 31, her daughter (b. Pembrokeshire); David Richards, 22, grandson, mariner (b. Mynachlogddu); William James, 25, nephew, ironmonger (b. Mynachlogddu); John O. Griffiths, 37, son-in-law, master mariner (b....

    Read more →

    BRYNYMOR, CARDIGAN

    by  • June 3, 2013 • Cardigan, Ceredigion, House, Modern, Period, Post-Medieval, Site Type • 2 Comments

    Site Name: BRYN-Y-MOR; PITCHERT; BRIDGETFACH; PRITCHARD-FACH. History: The present name means ‘The Sea Hill’. According to Samuel Rush Meyrick ‘Pitchert’ was the scene of a revenge attack during the early 14th Century when Gwilym ap Einon, sometime Constable of Cardigan Castle and founder of Towyn, Ferwig: “…slew the Irish that dwelt at Pitchert for...

    Read more →

    NEW MANCHESTER HOUSE, BRIDGE STREET

    by  • June 3, 2013 • Cardigan, Ceredigion, House, Modern, Period, Post-Medieval, Shop, Site Type • 0 Comments

    History: There were inhabited dwellings on this site (formerly named Bancymoch as it had been the site of the pig market) in 1841. Residents include: Ann Davies, lodging house keeper; William Roberts, earthenware dealer; and William Evans, 35, hawker. Situated on the junction of Bridge Street and Quay Street, the former pig market and...

    Read more →