Site Name: No. 4 PENDRE; “BELL HOTEL”; “SAILOR’S HOME”; “BELLE VUE”.
No. 4 is shown on John Wood’s 1834 map of Cardigan as the property of Thomas Davies. In 1836-42 this was the home of mariner Thomas Davies, burgess of Cardigan. In 1839 Thomas Davies Jnr. was born here. In 1841 the following persons lived here: Anne Davies, 35, shopkeeper; Eleanor Davies, 9, her daughter; Griffith Davies, 7, son; Thomas Davies, 2, son; Margaret Mason, 15, servant; and William Richards, 15, shipwright.
In 1844-78 Hannah J. Davies was a china & glass dealer trading here. On 7th January 1845 Joseph Davies, mariner of Pwllheli, married Hannah J. Davies, widow, of No. 4, daughter of Captain David Davies. The couple lived here until 1870. In 1849 Elizabeth Davies was born here. In 1850 this was “The Sailor’s Home” public house. In 1851 the occupiers were Joseph Davies, 40, master mariner, Hannah J. Davies, 41, his wife; Elizabeth Davies, 2, their daughter; Elinor Davies, 19, niece; Thomas Davies, 12, nephew, 12; Mark Watkins, 22, visitor, labourer; Margaret Owens, 19, servant. In 1861 the following persons lived here: Joseph Davies, 50, retired mariner; Hannah J. Davies, 52, his wife; David Davies, 36, mariner; Elizabeth Davies, 12, daughter; and Anne Williams, 35, servant. On 24th March 1865 David Frederick Davies was baptised at St. Mary’s Church. He was the son of Lewis & Charlotte Ellen Davies of No. 4. Captain Joseph Davies died on 24th April 1870 aged 59. His former vessel, the “Hopewell”, which passed to his wife when he died, was lost in a storm on 30th September 1870.
In 1871 the ‘Sailor’s Home’ was occupied by Hannah J. Davies, 62, widow, and her daughter Elizabeth Davies, 21, with a servant. On 24th January 1874 the “Sailor’s Home” was the venue for the sale of shares in the 60 ton Cardigan schooner, “Albion”. On 13th January 1877 the smack “Charming Nancy” was auctioned here. On 26th December 1877 Captain John Morgan of London married Miss Elizabeth Davies, daughter of the late Captain Joseph Davies of the ‘Sailor’s Home’. In May 1878 Hannah J. Davies owned shares in ‘The Cardigan Mercantile Company’. On 25th November 1878 Hannah J. Davies died aged 69.
The following persons lived here in 1881: Margaret Skinner, 45; Margaret Ann Davies, 21, her daughter; Ellen Davies, 18, daughter; David Griffith Davies, 16, son, ironmonger’s apprentice; Frederick Lawrence Skinner, 1 month, son; and Ellen Davies, 24, domestic servant. In 1881-99 Richard Skinner was the landlord. In September 1881 the Loyal Glanteifi Lodge of Oddfellows, who held their meetings here, held a grand anniversary meeting. On 16th November 1886 Margaret Anne Davies of No. 4, daughter of the late Griffith Davies, married John Owen of Pendre, clerk. In 1891 the following persons occupied the ‘Sailor’s Home’: Richard Skinner, 58; Margaret Skinner, 57, his wife; Frederick Lawrence Skinner, 10, their son; Ellen Davies, 27, step-daughter; and Joyce Davies, 24, servant. In 1895 David Griffith Davies lived here. On 8th October 1899 Captain Richard Skinner of the ‘Sailor’s Home’ died aged 66. His widow then took over the license.
In 1901 the following persons lived here: Margaret Skinner, 60, licensed victualler; Ellen Davies, 32, her daughter; Frederick Lawrence Skinner, 20, son, engineer’s apprentice; and Margaret Davies, 20, domestic servant. All were bilingual and born in Cardigan. On 4th August 1903 William Jenkins, tailor & draper of Pendre, married Ellen Davies, 2nd daughter of the late Captain Griffith Davies, of the “Sailor’s Home”. On 14th November 1905 Evan James, 27, of the Mwldan, married Margaret Davies, 24, of the ‘Sailor’s Home’. On 26th April 1907 the “Sailor’s Home” was advertised for sale. Margaret Skinner lived here in 1907-11. On 1st November 1911 Margaret Skinner of the ‘Sailor’s Home’ died aged 72. A temporary license was then issued to Mrs. Jenkins, her daughter. On 22nd December 1911 the property was advertised for sale. In 1912 it consisted of a bar; bar parlour; dining room; kitchen; pantry scullery; 1st floor – sitting room; 2 bedrooms; large room – former club room; bathroom & w c; 2nd floor – 3 bedrooms and a box-room. To the rear were a brew-house, coal house, w c, and 16-stall stable. On 8th January 1912 a temporary license was granted to Mrs. W. Jenkins and in March 1912 to Mrs. Ellen Jenkins.
In May 1912 the license passed to Hannah James. In 1912-19 John James was the landlord of the ‘Sailor’s Home’ and lived here with his wife, Hannah. In September 1915 Miss Phoebe Mary James, daughter of landlords Mr. & Mrs. James, married John James Ladd. On 20th October 1916 it was reported that Driver W. J. James, son of Mr. & Mrs. John James of the “Sailor’s Home”, had been wounded in France. On 12th May 1919 Hannah James, wife of the landlord, John James, died aged 63. On 16th December 1919 Captain Gwilym D. Rees of St. Dogmaels married Miss Annie James, youngest daughter of John James of the ‘Sailor’s Home’.
In October 1920 Samuel Williams moved to ‘The Sailor’s Home’ as the new landlord. Mr. & Mrs. Samuel Williams were the landlords in 1920-28. On 9th June 1921 Thomas Devonald Thomas of Alltrheiny, Cilgerran, married Helena Williams, 23, daughter of Samuel Williams of ‘The Sailor’s Home’. Mrs. Williams and Mr. & Mrs. Tom Thomas lived here in 1924. On 11th February 1927 the future of the license of “The Belle Vue”, as the pub had been re-named, was under discussion. On 18th April 1928 Samuel Williams, the publican, died aged 58.
In 1932-44 Mrs. Hannah Williams was the landlady. In February 1940 William George Williams of the ‘Belle Vue’ was a gunner in the army, and returned home after the cessation of hostilities in 1945. In 1942 Raddie Williams lived here. On 2nd March 1944 Mrs. Hannah Williams, widow of Samuel Williams, died. In 1944 William George Williams became the publican following the death of his mother, Hannah Williams, until 1950. The “Belle Vue” was advertised for sale on 18th January 1950 for Mrs. & Miss Williams. It was described as follows:
“…BELLE-VUE situate in the main thoroughfare…Double-fronted, stone built and slated house in an excellent state throughout…The ACCOMMODATION comprises: Bar 10ft X 15ft with bay window, electric fire and stainless steel sink (h & c); Smoke Room 12ft X 14ft with a large square window and modern anthracite stove; Lounge 12ft X 12 ft with Devon grate; Ditto 10ft X 20ft with Devon grate; Beer Cellar. First Floor – Lounge 12ft. X 15ft with bay window; Bedroom 12ft X 15ft; Ditto 10ft X 13ft with Lavatory Basin; W. C. (on landing); Bathroom (h & c) and Kitchenette. Second floor – 3 Bedrooms. Outside – Paved Yard; Brew House and Stores; Coals; Lavatories and urinal. Small garden plot and a lawn at the rear…”
In 1952 E. Lewis Jones was the proprietor of the “Belle Vue Hotel”. In 1953-55 the publican of the ‘Belle Vue’ was P. Lawson. Alterations were proposed in 1954 so that the building could become a residential hotel. In 1955 Elizabeth Mary Jones and Evan Lewis Jones lived here. In October 1970 planning permission was unsuccessfully sought to turn the ‘Belle Vue Hotel’ into a supermarket.
By 1972 this was ‘The Bell Hotel’. In 1976 Cynthia & John Angove were the landlords. In 1979 the building was refurbished. In 1980 there was a restaurant here and C. M. Wood was the publican. In 1986 Emrys Price moved here from The Ship, Pendre. In 1986-92 Emrys & Iona Price were the landlords.
In 2001 the building appeared as follows:
Stucco rendered early-mid C19 hotel of 3 storeys, 3 bays, with pitched slated roof having terracotta ridge tiles. Upper storey has 6-pane sashes, all bar centre replaced in plastic, with painted slightly raised stucco hoods and painted reveals, with slate sills. Taller similar 12-pane sashes to first floor, with painted stucco quoins to sides, save for left which has large canted projecting bay. Plate glass sashes to each side, narrower to flanks with deep timber section beneath and sloping leaded roof. Above first floor sills ‘Belle Vue’ in raised stucco letters. Ground floor has tripartite plate glass sash with narrow margins to left. Door to centre with small projecting classical style pyramidal hood in painted timber. To right is canted projecting bay with 4-pane sash to front and narrower plate glass sides. Pitched leaded lean-to 3-sided roof, continuous stone sill. The whole has painted plinth.
Map of Cardigan, J Wood 1834
NLW Minor Deposit 490-9B
Census Returns 1841; 1851; 1861; 1881; 1891; 1901
Pigot’s Directory 1844
Parish Registers – St. Mary’s, Cardigan
Cardigan & Tivy-Side Advertiser 1868; 1870; 1874-75; 1877-78; 1881; 1899; 1903; 1907; 1911-12
1916; 1919-21; 1923-24; 1927-28; 1932; 1934; 1937-38; 1940-45; 1950; 1954; 1970; 1972; 1978
Slater’s Directory 1868
Post Office Directory 1871
Kelly’s Directory of South Wales 1875; 1884; 1895; 1914; 1926
Cardigan Observer 1877
Poster – Charming Nancy Sale, Sailor’s Home 13/01/1877
List of Voters – Cardigan 25/07/1910
Annual Report – Tabernacl C M Chapel, Cardigan 1924
Telephone Directory – South Wales District 1940
Post Office Telephone Directory 1950; 1953; 1955
Register of Electors 1955
Monumental Inscriptions, Blaenwaun Chapel cemetery, St Dogmaels
© Glen K Johnson 26/08/2013