• BRIDELL COTTAGE; BRIDELL INN

    by  • August 13, 2013 • Bridell, Inn, Modern, Pembrokeshire, Period, Post-Medieval, Site Type • 0 Comments

    History:

    The pub was opened ca. 1780 by David George. (1) In 1795 Thomas George was the publican. (2) In 1819 Louisa George was the publican. (3) In January 1839 the freehold of the ‘Bridell Inn’ was offered for sale at the ‘Black Lion’, Cardigan. The pub had been in the occupation of David George and latterly of Louisa George and her tenants. The auction notice in the ‘Welshman’ newspaper stated that:

    “…The dwelling house, which has for many years been used as a public house, adjoins the high road from Narberth to Cardigan. The farm buildings which adjoin the dwelling house are commodious and well arranged and suited to a large farm…” (4)

    In 1841 Margaret John was the innkeeper. (5) In 1851 the following persons lived here: Louisa George, 69, tavern keeper; Elizabeth Richards, 59, her sister, widow; and John Richards, 29, nephew, labourer. (6) In 1861 the following persons lived here: Louisa George, 77, farmer (who may have been born here); Elizabeth Richards, 69, her sister, widow; and Thomas Richards, 27, nephew. (7) In 1871 Elizabeth Richards, 80, widow, was the innkeeper and sole occupier. (8) In 1871-79 Elizabeth Richards was the publican. (9) On 21st June 1879 Elizabeth Richards died aged 88. (10)

    In 1891 the following persons lived here: John Davies, 60, licensed victualler; Elizabeth Davies, 74, his wife; Martha George, 50, boarder; and Mary Owens, 19, servant. (11) On 25th January 1892 Elizabeth Davies of Bridell Inn was buried at Bridell Church, having died aged 76 on 21st January. (12) In 1901 the following persons lived here: John Davies, 71, innkeeper (b. Bridell, bilingual English/Welsh); Ann Davies, 56, his wife, (b. Worcs., English-speaking); Catherine Davies, 60, sister (b. Llandisilio, Pembs., bilingual); and Sophia Davies, 14, domestic servant (b. Llanboidy, bilingual). (13) On 4th April 1901 it was advertised to let. (14)

    Bridell Inn to let, 26/03/1909 (Cardigan & Tivy-Side Advertiser)

    Bridell Inn to let, 26/03/1909 (Cardigan & Tivy-Side Advertiser)

    On 19th March 1909 it was advertised to let again, following the death or departure of John Davies, and Mrs Addie Williams took the lease. (15) On 29th September 1909 a clearance sale was held here. (16) In April/May 1911 the property was advertised to let again, and Addie Williams moved to the Penybryn Arms. (17) On 27th October 1911 Mr L T Williams of this address was given a long service and good conduct medal from the Royal Naval Reserve. (18) From 1912-20 Benjamin Davies was the licensee. (19) In 1918 it was noted that Mrs Davies of Bridell Inn was a cousin to John Davies of Ffynnoncoronau, who died that year. (20) On 4th June 1920 it was advertised for sale – still as a pub. Benjamin Davies then moved to the ‘Penybryn Arms’. (21) William Jenkins moved here in 1921. (22)  William Jenkins was the publican here in 1921-29. In 1926 William Carey Jenkins, grandson of landlord William Jenkins, lived here. (23) In March 1927 the license was objected to and the pub was referred for compensation. (24) On 5th November 1929 William Jenkins died here at the age of 70. (25) In August 1938 the former pub was advertised for sale with 9 acres. (26)

    Description:

    Former Bridell Inn in March 2011 (c) Glen K Johnson

    Former Bridell Inn in March 2011 (c) Glen K Johnson

    The property was described in 2004:

    Early C19 and possibly earlier former inn and coach house, now two houses. Whitewashed rubble stone with slate roofs and centre C20 red brick ridge stack. C20 plastic windows throughout. To left is former coach house, 1 and a half storey with massive offset from left. Ground floor has two cambered-headed windows with stone voussoirs and slate sills flanking door with matching head. Upper floor formerly had corresponding first floor windows, none over door, plus a third set to far left, all since blocked in rubble. Upper floor now has two widely-spaced late C20 eaves-breaking dormers. Gable end to left has massive stone cart arch to ground floor, blocked in C20 glazing, with single window over, matching head and sill to façade. Plain barge-board. Late C20 flat-roofed cement-rendered extension to rear. Attached to right is former inn, 2 storey, 3 window range, similar window heads and sills. Centre ground floor window presumably former door. Modern access through right gable end.

    Sources:

    1. The Pubs of St David’s, Fishguard & north Pembrokeshire, Keith Johnson 2010.

    2. As 1. above

    3. As 1. above.

    4. The Welshman, January 1839

    5. Census Returns 1841

    6. Census Returns 1851

    7. Census Returns 1861

    8. Census Returns 1871

    9. Kelly’s Directory of South Wales 1875

    10.  Bridell Parish Register.

    11. Census Returns 1891

    12. As 10. above

    13. Census Returns 1901

    14. Cardigan & Tivy-Side Advertiser 04/04/1901

    15.  Cardigan & Tivy-Side Advertiser 19/03/1909

    16.  Cardigan & Tivy-Side Advertiser September 1909

    17.  Cardigan & Tivy-Side Advertiser 1911

    18.  Cardigan & Tivy-Side Advertiser 1911

    19.  Cardigan & Tivy-Side Advertiser 1912

    20.  Cardigan & Tivy-Side Advertiser 1918

    21.  Cardigan & Tivy-Side Advertiser 1920

    22.  Cardigan & Tivy-Side Advertiser 1922

    23. Cardigan & Tivy-Side Advertiser 1926

    24. Cardigan & Tivy-Side Advertiser 1927

    25. As 10. above

    26. Cardigan & Tivy-Side Advertiser 1938

    (c) Glen K Johnson 12/08/2013

    About

    Leave a Reply

    Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *