by  • June 8, 2014 • Uncategorized • 0 Comments

    The ‘Acorn‘ was a┬áCardigan Brig of 92 tons. Built 1812 in Cardigan. Her first master, by 1813, was Captain Roberts. In October 1815 Captain Roberts arrived at Swansea from Cork in ballast. In July 1818 the ‘Acorn‘ sailed from Newport, Monmouthshire, to London with a cargo of iron. On 22 September 1819 the ship was at Milford, on her way from Waterford to Liverpool. On 27 April 1820 she was at Milford again, bound from Cardiff to Bowling Bay, and set sail on 4 May. At some point shortly after this, Captain Roberts was succeeded as the master of the ‘Acorn‘ by Captain William Jones.

    On 27 September 1821 the ‘Acorn‘ was at Milford, bound for Newport, Mon. In October she sailed from Cork to Bristol. In June 1822 she left Pembrey bound for Waterford with a cargo of coal. In November 1822 she arrived at Aberystwyth from Cork in ballast. On 2 January 1823 the ‘Acorn‘ arrived at Milford from Cardiff, bound for Bowling Bay. On 15 April 1824 she arrived at Milford en route from Cardiff to Belfast. In October 1826 the ship docked at Cardiff, having sailed from Waterford. In November 1827 she arrived at Milford, en route from Cork to Glasgow. In January 1828 she arrived at Cardiff from Bristol. In March she arrived at Milford from Glasgow. In April 1828 she sailed from Milford to Cardiff. In July 1828 the ‘Acorn‘ called at Milford again while travelling from Newhaven to Liverpool. In April 1829 the ‘Acorn‘ left Milford, bound for Cardiff from Kinsale. In May 1829 she returned to Cardiff again, having visited Whitehaven in between. In May 1830 she put in to Milford again, from Glasgow. In June 1830 the ‘Acorn‘ called at Cardiff, bound for Rouen. In August 1830 she returned from Rouen and arrived at Neath. In May 1831 the vessel left Newport, Mon., bound for Bowling Bay. In March 1832 the ship left Milford bound for Topsham. In February 1833 she arrived in Milford, bound from Swansea to Dundalk.

    In 1833 the ‘Acorn‘ was converted from a Brig to a Schooner, reducing her weight to 62 tons. Captain William Jones remained the Master until at least 1834. In June that year the ship was at Neath. In November 1834 she left Newport for Dundalk. In April 1835 the ‘Acorn‘ was at Swansea. By 1836 Captain David Jones of St. Dogmaels was the Master of the vessel. She left Newport, Mon., in January that year. In August 1836 she was at Swansea and in November she sailed from Neath to Galway. In September 1837 the ‘Acorn‘ was at Swansea again. In December 1839 Captain David Jones sailed from Cardign to Poole and had returned to Milford before the end of the year. In June 1840 the ship was at Bristol.

    At some point between then and 1850 Captain Thomas Jones became the Captain. During this period the history of the ship becomes harder to trace, as there were at least two vessels of the same name with Captains called Jones, one of which was regular trader between Bristol and Carmarthen in the 1840′s. If anyone can untangle the later history of the ‘Acorn‘ of Cardigan I would be grateful. Her eventual fate is not presently known.



    Leave a Reply

    Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *