by  • June 11, 2014 • Uncategorized • 0 Comments


    The ‘Eclair‘ was a Cardigan Brig of 161 tons, built in 1817 at Swansea. From 1817-21 Captain James Morse was her master and sailed her to Milford and Newport, Monmouthshire.In September 1817 the ‘Eclair‘ sailed from Waterford to Newport, Monmouthshire, where she took on a cargo of coal before sailing to Cork, stopping at Milford along the way. That December she sailed from Newport, resting at Milford on Christmas Eve, before sailing on to Greenock. The ‘Cambrian‘ of September 3 1819 carried the following item:

    “…Milford, Sept. 1, 1819.

    The “Eclair,” Morse, now under quarantine at this port, sailed from Constantinople on the 17 of May last, and from Smyrna. on the 30 June last; left at the former place the “Cambria,” Jenkins, and at the latter the Eclipse, Aurora, Nymph, and Azores, all waiting for cargoes. The Master states, that no accidents of the plague had occurred for many days previous to his departure, and that confidence was restored amongst the European merchants, particularly as it was the period of the year when the plague generally ceased in that town…”

    In September 1821, some shares in the vessel were available to purchase – Captain James Morse remaining the master at that time. In April 1822 the ‘Eclair‘ sailed from London to Cork via Milford. In December 1822 she set sail from Liverpool for Rio de Janeiro, where Captain Morse later fell ill. In January 1824 Captain Morse sailed the ‘Eclair‘ from Waterford to Bristol. A month later more shares in the vessel were advertised for sale, James Morse then being described as “late master”. In April 1824 Captain Lloyd sailed the ‘Eclair‘ to Bristol. In September that year Captain Evans sailed the ‘Eclair‘ from Memel to Aberystwyth and then down to Cardigan with a cargo of fir timber and deals. On 18October 1824 Captain G. Morse died at home after a long illness contracted at Rio de Janeiro. He was the third brother to die from the effects of foreign climates.

    In March 1825 Captain John Davies was the master of the ‘Eclairand sailed her from Waterford to Bristol.In June 1827 new master, Captain Amlot, sailed the ‘Eclair‘ to Milford, and then to Pembrey where he loaded up a cargo for Waterford. In July 1828 he sailed via Milford to London. In December 1831 Captain Davies sailed the ‘Eclair‘ from Newport to Limerick. In April 1832 he sailed her to Glasgow.

    In 1833-39 Captain Rees Thomas was the master. In March 1833 he sailed the ‘Eclair‘ to Cardiff. In September 1835 he sailed her from Boston via Milford to Limerick. In April 1836 he sailed from Dublin to Cardiff with a cargo of Irish porter. In May 1836 he sailed from Cardiff to Limerick with a cargo of iron and coal. In April 1837 the ‘Eclair‘ was at Swansea. In September of that year he sailed from Cardiff via Milford to Limerick. In November he sailed from Neath to Galway. In July 1838 the ‘Eclair‘ sailed via Milford to Dublin. In August 1839 she sailed from Cardiff to London with a cargo of iron. In July 1840 she sailed from Newport via Milford to Dublin.

    In 1843-46 Captain Wade was the master of the ‘Eclair. In March 1843 he sailed from Troon via Milford to Cardiff and then on to Plymouth. In December that year he sailed from Llanelli to Limerick. In October 1844 Captain Wade was married at Ferwig to Eliza, the eldest daughter of Thomas Williams, tanner and farmer. In October 1845 he sailed from Cardiff’s Bute Dock to Belfast with a cargo of pit-wood and sleepers. He returned immediately to Cardiff within a few days and took his next cargo to Limerick.

    In February 1846 a new master, Captain Davies, sailed the ‘Eclair‘ from Cardiff via Milford to Limerick. In April that year she sailed to via Milford to London, and returned a few days later to Llanelli. In September 1846 he sailed from Cardiff to Milford, and then returned to Cardiff and loaded a cargo, before sailing to Hull. In 1848-49 Captain James Ellis of No. 9 Castle Street, Cardigan, was the master of the ‘Eclair. In August 1849 she was at Cardiff again, and in September she sailed to Barcelona with a cargo of coal. What became of the vessel after this date is not known.



    Leave a Reply

    Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *