The building was under way by 12th June 1858 – along with Graystones, the first new houses of the street. In 1871 the following persons lived here: Thomas Morris, 68, retired builder; Rachel Morris, 73, his wife; Mary Morris, 77, his sister, widow; and Margaret Williams, 19, servant. Thomas Morris died here on 31st December 1871. He had been born at Broyan, Llantood, in 1802 – hence the name of the property. Mrs. Rachel Morris, annuitant, was the occupier in 1871-81. On 5th August 1881 Rachel Morris, widow of Thomas Morris, died aged 84. On 19th April 1883 Thomas Morris of Broyan House and Broyan Mill, Llantood, married Miss Evangeline Evans, daughter of Asa Johnes Evans of Penalltcadwgan, Cilgerran.
In 1891 the following persons lived here: James M. Phillips, 52, surgeon; Mary A. Phillips, 44, his wife; Llewelyn C. P. Phillips, 19, their son, medical student; Gladys Phillips, 12, daughter; Mary A. Powell, 84, his mother-in-law; Mary A. Evans, 22, domestic servant; Susan Morris, 24, cook; and Tom Reynolds, 17, stable boy & groom. In August 1894 Broyan House was advertised to let.
On 25th September 1899 Gertrude Anne Trollip, youngest daughter of Mrs. Trollip, married Captain Edward J. Minister of Alma Grange, Llangoedmor. On 13th February 1900 Mrs. Letitia Trollip, widow of Jacob Trollip, died here. On 27th April 1901 David Gwilym Trollip, son of the late Jacob Trollip, died here aged 17. In 1901 Miss Letitia Davies lived here. In 1911 the following persons lived here: Gertrude Minister, 38, sailor’s wife; Joan Isabel Minister, 1, their daughter; Gwyneth H. Thomas, 14, niece; and Mary Jones, 25, servant. In 1911-13 Captain Edward Minister and his wife lived here.
William Lewis lived here from 1914-17. In 1914 Mrs. Lewis lived here. On 3rd December 1916 a daughter was born here to Mr. & Mrs. Basil Lewis. On 20th June 1917 William Lewis, J. P., former manager of ‘Lloyd’s Bank’ (1879-1912), died here aged 70. He had moved to Cardigan in 1862 and married Emma Jones, youngest daughter of John James Jones, No. 3 Bridge Parade. In June 1919 Mrs. Morris lived here.
By October 1919 Thomas Lloyd Spittle and his wife had moved here from Alma Grange, Llangoedmor. In 1919-52 Thomas Lloyd Spittle lived here. On 11th October 1930 Mrs. Rachel Spittle of Broyan House died. On 3rd November 1933 Thomas Lloyd Spittle married Nurse Agnes Margaret Morgan of Clevedon, Pendre. Thomas Lloyd Spittle & Agnes Margaret Spittle lived here in 1933-52. In November 1946 Howard Williams & Partners traded here. In September 1952 Thomas Lloyd Spittle died aged 75, leaving a widow.
In May 1953-93 ‘J. J. Morris’, auctioneer & estate agent, traded here. In 1955 Harry Lord, accountant, was based here as part of ‘Tucker, Lord & Company Incorporated’, accountants. On 2nd April 1955 Trevor Morgan opened a shoe-shop here. In 1955-62 this was Trevor Morgan’s shoe-shop. In February 1962 Trevor Morgan moved to High Street where he traded as ‘Trevor’s’. On 2nd October 1967 ‘General Accident Insurance’ moved here. In 1989 the ‘Nationwide Building Society’ opened a branch here. The building was ‘listed’ in 1992. In 1994 the property became the office of David Michael Barry Davies – accountant. D. M. B. Davies traded here in 1994-2013. In 1998 permission was granted for the demolition of a garage at the rear.
The building was described by CADW in 1992:
“…Circa 1870 house and office in squared stone with some banding in red brick and blue lias. Stone end stacks, truncated to left, that to right exceptionally broad, stepped with 10 short shafts, vertical incisions between shafts. Slate roof.
Three-storey, 3-window range with north east angle chamfered slightly on ground floor. Raised plinth, flush banding at sill level of upper floors, red brick to fist floor over blue lias, alternate bands of brick and blue lias under second floor sills. Blue lias eaves course. Hornless sashes with flush blue lias sills and cambered heads with cut stone voussoirs. Six-pane upper windows, 12-pane to fist floor and ground floor centre arched doorway between 2 early C20 shopwindows, missing glazing bars. Door of 2 arched panels, radiating bar fanlight and cut stone voussoirs to arch. Early C20 timber columned porch with thin bulbous columns on high pedestals, matching half-column responds, bracketed frieze and cornice. Shop windows have timber frames and matching bracketed friezes and cornices. East end wall is banded in blue lias, with one first floor window.
Old photographs show no porch and ground floor tripartite sashes circa 1901…”
Census Returns 1871; 1881; 1891; 1911
Post Office Directory 1871
Cardigan & Tivy-Side Advertiser 1883; 1894; 1899-1901; 1912-14; 1916-17; 1919-20; 1923; 1927- 28; 1930; 1933; 1935; 1937-38; 1941; 1946; 1952-57; 1960-61; 1967-68; 1980; 1996; 2000
Annual Report – Tabernacl C M Chapel, Cardigan 1901
Kelly’s Directory of South Wales 1920; 1926
Register of Electors 1938
Statement of Account – St Mary’s Church 31/12/1938
Accounts – Cardigan Auxiliary Bible Society 1949
Post Office Telephone Directory 1955
Planning Decision – Broyan House 23/07/1982
Cardigan Civic Week Programme 1989
The 1992 Cardigan Guide
Buildings of Architectural or Historic Interest – Cardigan, CADW 1992
The 1993 Guide to Cardigan
Annual Show Catalogue, Cardigan 02/08/1995
Cardigan Secondary School Centenary Catalogue 1998.
© Glen K Johnson 14/06/2013