The name means Ivor’s Hill’. The house was probably built c.1850, though there may be a building marked at this location on the 1838 tithe map. Captain Evans, master of the “Cygnet”, lived here and may have had the house built. In 1861 this was the home of Hannah Davies, 53, Master Mariner’s widow. In 1871-83 Captain David Griffiths lived here. In 1871-1915 Hannah Griffiths lived here. In 1871 the following persons lived here: Hannah Griffiths, 32, master mariner’s wife; Hannah Davies, 63, her aunt, master mariner’s widow; and Margaret Davies, 5, niece, master mariner’s daughter. On
1st April 1877 David Griffiths, son of Captain David Griffiths & Hannah Griffiths of Brynivor, died in infancy. In 1881 the following persons lived here: Hannah Davies, 73, widow, annuitant; Hannah Griffiths, 42, her niece, master mariner’s wife; and David Griffiths, 5, nephew. On 8th February 1883 Captain David Griffiths of Brynivor, 49, died at San Francisco, whilst in command of the barque “Mabel” of Swansea. On 10th November 1883 Hannah Davies of Brynivor, died aged 75. On 16th March 1887 David William Griffiths, son of Hannah Griffiths, died aged 11 years, 8 months and 2 days. In 1891 Hannah Griffiths, 52, widow (b. St. Dogmaels), lived here. In 1901 the following persons lived here: Hannah Griffiths, 62, widow, market gardener; and Mary Davies, 53, her sister, widow. Both were born in the parish and were Welsh-speaking. In 1911 the sole occupant was Hannah Griffiths, 72, widow. On 22nd November 1915 Hannah Griffiths, widow of David Griffiths, died aged 77.
On 21st June 1917 David William Davies of Brynivor married Frances Emma Thompson of Birmingham. In 1923-25 nurse Gwladys Jones lived here. In 1926 William Davies lived here. In 1938-44 Ann Davies, J. Glyn James & Lizzie M. James lived here. On 28th February 1945 Rev. W. J. Rees, Pastor of Seion Congregational Church in Llandybie, died aged 26. He was the son of Mr. & Mrs. Rees of Brynivor. On 9th January 1946 Mr. D. W. (“Teddy”) Davies, son of the late William Davies & Mrs. Davies of Brynivor, died aged 56. In 1949-53 Glyn James lived here with Hywel James and Mrs. A. James. In September 1952 Mrs. Ann Davies of Brynivor, widow of William Davies, died aged 87. She was the mother of Mrs. James, wife to Glyn James of Brynivor. On 9th July 1955 Hywel James of Brynivor, son of Mr. & Mrs. Glyn James, married June Hyem of Britannia, High Street, St. Dogmaels. On 19th August 1956 Glyn James of Brynivor died aged 61. On 9th April 1977 Hywel James of Brynivor was killed in a road accident aged 47. He was the son of the late Glyn James and Mrs. E. James of Brynivor. On 17th February 1987 Lizzie Matilda James of Brynivor died aged 93.
The house became a listed building in 1992. It was extensively refurbished in 1995. Brynivor was sold in mid-2004 and again in the spring of 2007. It was advertised for sale again in January 2010.
The house was described by CADW in 1992:
“…Circa 1850 detached house in brown squared rubble stone banded in blue slate, with slate roof outshut to rear and banded stone end stacks. Two storeys, double fronted with plate glass horned sashes, probably early C20, and 6-panel door with traceried overlight in pilastered doorcase with corniced hood on brackets.
Roughcast front wall with slate coping…”
ADDITIONAL (2001)– Old photographs show 12-pane sashes and grouted slate roof. Rear no longer outshut, but heightened to 2-storeys. Interior totally renovated in 1990’s, but retains good stone fireplace to ground floor right.
Tithe Map for St. Dogmaels 1838
Census Returns 1861; 1871; 1881; 1891; 1901; 1911
Hanes Blaenywaun, Benjamin Rees 1899
Kelly’s Directory of South Wales 1906; 1914; 1926
Cardigan & Tivy-Side Advertiser 1909; 1915; 1917; 1932; 1945-46; 1949; 1951-53; 1955-56; 1977;
Annual Report – Capel Seion, St. Dogmaels 1924
Blaenywaun Chapel Annual Report 1938; 1939; 1944
St. Dogmaels – Buildings of Historical or Architectural Interest, Julian Orbach, CADW 1993
Sale Particulars – Brynivor, J J Morris, 11/08/2000
The Phone Book 2003.
Sale Particulars – Brynivor, John Francis, 19/09/2006; 02/04/2009.
Monumental Inscriptions, Blaenwaun Chapel cemetery
© Glen K Johnson 21/06/2013.