The name means ‘Gentle Hill’, but may be a mutation of ‘Ion’s Land Hill”. In 1838 Bryntirion was owned & occupied by William James Benjamin Hall, with 37 acres. On 24th November 1838 Sarah Pointy, a servant here, was buried at St. Mary’s Church, Cardigan. In October 1839 a son was born to Mr. & Mrs. William J. B. Hall of Bryntirion, at Rushall Rectory. In March 1840 William James Benjamin Hall of Bryntirion died at Paddington Green, aged 28. On 30th May 1841 George Daniel Richards, the son of John & Elizabeth Richards of Bryntirion, died aged 2. In 1841 the following persons lived here: John Richards, 28, farm bailiff; Elizabeth Richards, 27, his wife; Hannah Richards, 4; and a servant. On 19th March 1842 Joan Elizabeth Hall, widow of William J. B. Hall of Bryntirion, died aged 27.
On 25th June 1844 Thomas Davies, husbandman here, married Mary Thomas, servant from Langwm Street, St. Dogmaels. In 1851 Thomas George, 54, solicitor, lived here with his 52-year old wife, Rosalind George. In 1851-54 Thomas George lived here. In March 1852 Mary Price Wagner of Bryntirion died aged 66. On 15th November 1853 Anne Mitchell, 21, of Bryntirion married John Evans, mariner, of St. Dogmaels. On 22nd December 1854 Thomas George of Bryntirion was buried at Bridell Church, having died on 2nd December 1854 aged 60. He was a son of Thomas George of Ffynnoncoronau, Bridell and Glanllynan, Cardigan. In 1861 Mary Adams, 71, widow, lived here with a servant. On 30th April 1867 it was reported in the Pall Mall Gazette that Mr. W. H. Hall of Bryntirion had recently married Jessie FitzWilliams, the widow of Mr. D. C. L. FitzWilliams.
In 1868-82 John Posthumous Howell was the farmer. In 1871 the following persons lived here: Emiah Howell, 50, solicitor’s wife; Charles E. Howell, 21, her son, articled clerk; Emily E. Howell, 14, daughter; Elena Jones, 26, cook; and Mary Joseph, 16, servant. In 1881 the following persons lived here: John Posthumous Howell, 61, solicitor & bailiff; Emiah Howell, 66, his wife; Emily Howell, 28, their daughter; Emiah Howell, 26, daughter; Ellen Thomas, 21, domestic servant; David James, 52, sub bailiff & groom; Hannah Thomas, 60, visitor, wife of boot-maker; and Margaret Lewis, 30, servant in husbandry. On April 8th 1881 Emiah Howells was buried at St. Dogmaels having died aged 66. In 1882 J. P. Howell owned shares in ‘The Cardigan Mercantile Company’. On 15th May 1885 Bryntirion, which belonged to John P. Howell, was advertised to let.
On 10th September 1885 Emily Emiah Morris, wife of Mr. J. W. Morris of Bryntirion, and daughter of John Posthumous Howell, solicitor, died here aged 32. In the late 1880’s Daniel Jenkins lived here, as did J. P. Howell. In 1891 the following persons lived here: Daniel Jenkins, 53, farmer; Hannah Jenkins, 40, his wife; John Jenkins, 6, their son; and Elizabeth Jenkins, 4, daughter. In 1894 Daniel Jenkins lived at Bryntirion. In 1897 Nancy Jenkins of Bryntirion was receiving assistance from the Cardigan Union due to her melancholia. In May 1899 and May 1900 Bryntirion was advertised to let.
In 1901 the following persons lived here: Griffith Evans, 58, tailor/draper (b. Pembroke); Mary Evans, 58, his wife; Benjamin Evans, 24, their son, tailor & farmer; David G. Llewelyn, 6, grandson; and Maggie Evans, 26, daughter, housemaid. Except where stated, all were born in the parish and were Welsh-speaking. In 1901-14 Griffith Evans, tailor, lived here and was the farmer. On 22nd November 1904 lightening struck an outbuilding here, seriously damaging a gable. In July 1907 Mrs. Evans advertised rooms to let at Bryntirion. On 25th April 1911 David Evans, 2nd son of Griffith Evans of Bryntirion, married Hannah Mary Phillips of Netpool Cottage, Cardigan. In 1911 the following persons lived here: Griffith Evans, 69, tailor; Mary Evans, 68, his wife; Maggie Evans, 37, their daughter, tailor’s assistant; and Ben Evans, 34, son, fisherman. All were bilingual.
In 1921-32 Benjamin Evans was the farmer. In 1937-63 David Evans lived here. In 1955 Mr. & Mrs. J. I. Evans lived here. On 26th January 1963 David Evans died aged 88. He had formerly been a farmer at Manian Fach and had been trained as a gunner at the St. Dogmaels Royal Naval Reserve Artillery Battery. On 16th May 1980 Bryntirion was advertised for sale. The house was listed in 1992.
The house was described by CADW in 1992:
“…EXTERIOR – Circa 1820 house in rubble stone with slate roof and rebuilt red brick end stacks. Basement and two storeys, formal 3-window front of large 12-pane sashes with slate sills. Centre broad doorway with radiating bar fanlight above 4-panel door with fielded-panel side-pieces. Timber lintels over all ground floor openings, the front presumably previously colourwashed or roughcast. Ground floor windows have big panelled shutters in boxes. Basement window to ground floor left. Two linked rear wings, the N one possibly later, chimney to right gable, centre platform to former first floor door, door below. Long pointed stair-light to S side of S wing, with intersecting tracery to sash.
INTERIOR – Broad entrance hall, 6-panel doors to both front rooms which have a balancing false door within for symmetry, panelled shutters. SE room has timber fireplace surround with fluted pilasters. Dog-leg stair with stick balusters. 4-panel door with lozenge tracery overlight to rear passage, possibly once external…”
Tithe Map of St. Dogmaels, 1838
Parish Registers of St. Mary’s, Cardigan
St. Dogmaels Parish Register – Marriages 1837-1970
Census Returns 1841; 1851; 1861; 1871; 1881; 1891; 1901; 1911
Slater’s Directory 1852; 1868
Llangoedmor Parish Registers
Pall Mall Gazette 30/04/1867
Kelly’s Directory of South Wales 1875; 1906; 1914; 1926
St. Dogmaels Parish Register – Burials 1852-85; 1885-1952
Cardigan & Tivy-Side Advertiser 1885; 1899-1901; 1904; 1907-08; 1911; 1918; 1921; 1932; 1937-38; 1944; 1963; 1967; 1978; 1980
Accounts – Rebuilding Blaenywaun Chapel, St. Dogmaels 1891
Occupiers List of Voters – St. Dogmaels 30/07/1894
Post Office Telephone Directory 1955
Register of St. Dogmaels School
Buildings of Architectural or Historic Interest – St. Dogmaels, Julian Orbach, CADW 1993
© Glen K Johnson 15/08/2013.