Site Name: BRYN-Y-MOR; PITCHERT; BRIDGETFACH; PRITCHARD-FACH.
The present name means ‘The Sea Hill’. According to Samuel Rush Meyrick ‘Pitchert’ was the scene of a revenge attack during the early 14th Century when Gwilym ap Einon, sometime Constable of Cardigan Castle and founder of Towyn, Ferwig:
“…slew the Irish that dwelt at Pitchert for firing the house of his foster-father…”
It was recorded circa 1660 as ‘Y Pichert’. On 10th July 1686 Jane Yong wrote her will, referring to ‘Pritchart Vach’ as her property. It was shown on Lewis Morris’ 1748 plan of Cardigan Bay, Bar & Harbour as “Bridget fach”. In 1790 Margaret David lived here. There is a persistent, yet completely unsubstantiated tradition that Admiral Nelson visited this spot, possibly meeting Lady Hamilton. The Hamiltons are known to have visited Cardigan in the 1850′s.
Ca. 1802 Samuel Jones, master mariner, had the house rebuilt. On 18th November 1819 Samuel Jones of Brynymor and Nantyferwig wrote his will. He referred to his wife Elizabeth Jones; daughter Mary Davies – wife of Rev. Daniel Davies of Pendre; and daughter Sarah Evan – wife of John Evan. On 2nd March 1833 Eli Phillips of Pritchardfach wrote his will. He referred to his son David Phillips alias David Davies; son Eli Phillips; son Owen Phillips of St. Dogmaels; daughter Margaret Phillips; grandson John Evans – son of daughter Anne Evans; Anne Phillips, his wife; John Phillips, son; and Elizabeth John Howells, daughter. The house is marked on an 1834 map as “Pritchard fach”. In 1836 John Phillips of this address was a burgess of Cardigan and owned shares in the ship ‘Surprise’, 33 tons. In 1841 Thomas Jones, 60; Ann Jones, 55; and Mary Thomas, 15, servant, lived at ‘Pritchetfach’.
In 1846-48 Samuel Jones Evans, ship-builder, owned Pritchardfach and leased it with 19 acres to Rev. Thomas Rees, the Vicar of Mwnt. It was recorded variously as “Pritchardfach” and “Bridgetfach”. In 1846-55 Rev. Thomas Rees lived here. In 1851 “Pritchardfach” was occupied by Rev. Thomas Rees, 48, Curate of Mwnt (b. Llangrannog); Hester Eleanora Rees, 49, his wife (b. Llanybyther); Thomas Rees, 12, their son (b. Llanybyther); Elizabeth Rees, 10, daughter (b. Llanybyther); and farm servants – David Phillips, 31 (b Llangoedmor); Margaret Davies, 17 (b. Ferwig); and Mary Evans, 16 (b. Mwnt). Hester Eleanora Rees was the only daughter of John Thomas Watkin & Hester Watkin of Gwndwn, Llangrannog. On February 23rd 1855 Mary Rees, daughter of Rev. Thomas Rees & Hester Rees, died aged 18. On May 22nd 1855 Thomas Rees, son of Rev. Thomas Rees & Hester Rees, died aged 16.
In 1861 farmer John Jones, 35, (b. Dolgellau) lived here with his wife, Lavinia Jones, 28 (b. Llangoedmor). On 2nd November 1863 the christening took place at St. Mary’s Church of Ellen Mary Griffiths, daughter of Thomas Griffiths, auctioneer, and his wife Anna Maria Griffiths, all of this address. On March 21st 1864 Rev. Thomas Rees died aged 64.
In 1868 David Jones lived here. In 1871 Pritchardfach was the home of Mary Evans, 43, widow, farmer (b. Cardigan); Elizabeth Williams, 50, housekeeper (b. Carmarthen); and Anne Edwards, 25, farm servant (b. St. Dogmaels). On 17th March 1876 the property was advertised to let. In 1881 John Mathias opened a Temperance Hotel at Pritchardfach, with an A1 skittle alley, billiards table and refreshments. The occupants in 1881 were: John Mathias, 40; Elizabeth Mathias, 53, his wife; Elen Evans, 24, their married daughter; Robert Evans, 1, grandson; Rosaline Evans, 6 months, grand-daughter; Elizabeth James, 14, nurse; Frances Davies, 14, domestic servant; and David Davies, 28, farm servant. On 10th November 1882 “Bridgetfach” was advertised for sale with 20 acres, and was auctioned at the “Black Lion”, High Street, on the 18th November 1882. In 1883 John Mathias & Mrs. Mathias still lived here. John Mathias offered it for sale again on 23rd January 1885. On 10th June 1887 it was advertised to let and on 24th June 1887, for sale.
In 1889 Mary Ann Jones and Esther Jones, spinsters, lived here. In 1891-94 David Jones lived here. In 1891 the following persons lived here: David Jones, 50; Esther Jones, 52, his wife; Mary Ann Jones, 24, their daughter; Hugh Jones, 22, son, grocer; David Jones, 15, son; Edith Jones, 13, daughter; and Arthur Jones, 12, son. All were English/Welsh bilingual and hailed from Pembrokeshire. In May 1894 Bridgetfach was advertised to let. John Mathias still owned it in 1893-95. In 1899 it was referred to as ‘Bridget Fach’ again. In 1901 it was occupied by the following persons: David Jones, 59 (b. Glamorgan); Anne Jones, 47, his wife (b. Nevern); Elizabeth Jones, 26, daughter (b. Whitland); Sarah E. Jones, 20, daughter (b. Whitland); George A. Jones, 18, son (b. Clydey); Margaret A. Jones, 16, daughter (b. Whitland); Annie U. Jones, 13, daughter (b. Whitland); David A. Jones, 10, son (b. Whitland); Gwendoline Jones, 9, daughter (b. Whitland); Charles C. Jones, 7, son (b. Whitland); and Elizabeth Adams, 83, widow, mother-in-law (b. Llanrhian). Mr. & Mrs. David Jones still lived here in 1903. In 1907 the occupier was David Jones. On 1st March 1912 “Bryn-y-Mor” was advertised for sale with 16 rooms and 20 acres. On 26th September 1912 there was a clear-out sale here for David Jones, who was leaving.
In 1914 Thomas Phillips was the occupier. On 19th November 1915 former occupier, John Mathias, died at Gordon Terrace, North Road. Private Wilson of Brynymor lost a leg in France during World War I. In 1919-24 Edward Welson lived here. In 1920 Albert Welson was the farmer. Brynymor was advertised for sale again on 3rd September 1920. On 7th October 1924 there was a clearance sale here for Edward A. Welson, who was leaving. In 1926-50 Thomas Hamer was the farmer. In March 1927 John Armstrong, son of the late Mrs. Thomas of Laundry House, died here aged 19. On 4th June 1950 Thomas Hamer, who had farmed here for more than 30 years, died aged 79, leaving a widow. On 22nd July 1950 Mrs. Ellen Ann Hamer, widow of Thomas Hamer, died aged 69.
In 1952 Stanley Jones & Mrs. Lilian Jones lived here. In 1955 Alfred J. N. Jones, Lilian Hannah Jones, Mary Elizabeth Burgoyne, Annie Gardner, Elsie Gwladys Sutton and Josiah James Sutton lived here. In 1955-66 Josiah James Sutton lived here. On 30th December 1955 and 19th October 1956 the property was advertised for sale. In March 1966 Josiah James Sutton of Brynymor died.
In 1986 work began on restoring the house, which was made a listed building that year. It was completed in 1989. A small extension was added for Mr. & Mrs. Young in 1992. Cliff & Katrina Blundell and Peter G. Young & Josephine C. Young lived here in 1996-2002. The Blundells moved out in 2002. In 2003 Peter & Josephine Young still lived here. Mrs Josephine C. Young, by then a widow, was still resident in 2005-12. She died in late 2012.
The property was described by CADW in 1992:
“…Early C19 small country house, carefully restored 1985-9. Colour-washed roughcast or rubble stone walls, hipped slate roofs with deep bracketed eaves cornice and 3 stone end stacks. Three-storey, U-plan, the rear wings of uneven length, 3-window and basement west façade. Cambered headed windows throughout with slate sills and mostly renewed sashes, 6-pane to upper floor, 12-pane elsewhere. Centre 6-pane door with traceried overlight in restored plain surround. Fine broad flight of 6 nosed slate steps up. South side has one-window range set to right, lighting stair in south east rear wing, blank east end wall to wing. North side is colour-washed rubble stone, 2-window range, blank east end wall with end stack and one-window range to south return of this wing, the window openings restored (formerly obscured in C20 extension, removed since 1986). Rear wall of main range has door and one window each floor. Pent roof obscuring short sections of cornice, suggesting that rear has been built out slightly.
INTERIOR – Retains good late Georgian detail, panelled doors and window splays, though ground floor cornices appear of later date. Unusual treatment of square lobbies on 2 main floors, with segmental arches on three sides and moulded wood pilasters, oddly thickened to accommodate wider rear wall with an extra roll-mould at corner. Open well stair in south east wing, stick balusters and ramped handrail, service rooms and very narrow service stair in north east rear wing. No obvious sign that an older house is incorporated except that rear entrance and lobbies that give access from wings to main house may be infill between earlier thicker walls.
Slate revetment wall by estuary edge with narrow slipway. Single storey stone 2-room privy north of house with hipped renewed roof…”
NLW Egerton MS 2
Cardigan Bay, Bar & Harbour, Lewis Morris 1748
The History & Antiquities of the County of Cardiganshire, Samuel Rush Meyrick 1808
Pembrokeshire Record Office: Abstracts of Wills 1819
Pembrokeshire Record Office: Port of Cardigan Shipping Registers
Map of Cardigan, John Wood 1834
NLW Minor Deposit 490-9B
Census Returns 1841; 1851; 1861; 1871; 1881; 1891; 1901
Tithe Map for St. Mary’s Parish 1847
Parish Records of St. Mary’s, Cardigan
Slater’s Directory 1868
Cardigan & Tivy-Side Advertiser 1876; 1881-83; 1885; 1887; 1894-95; 1900-02; 1907; 1912; 1915
1920-21; 1924; 1927; 1949-50; 1955-56; 1966
Cardigan Observer 1881-82
Register of Subscribers – Tabernacl C. M. Chapel, Cardigan 1883
O. S. Map 1886 etc.
Hope English Congregational Chapel Records
Kelly’s Directory of South Wales 1895; 1914; 1920; 1926
A Guide to Cardigan & District, William Edward Yerward James 1899
Annual Report – Tabernacl C. M. Chapel, Cardigan 1901
List of Voters – Cardigan 25/07/1910
Parish of St. Mary Jury List 1919
Annual Report – Bethania Chapel, Cardigan 1952
Electoral Register – Cardigan 1955; 1998
Planning Application – Brynymor 02/03/1992
Buildings of Architectural or Historic Interest – Cardigan, CADW 1992
Programme – St. Dogmaels Public Regatta 07/08/1999
The Phone Book 2003.
© Glen K Johnson 03/06/2013