Cannon House was built by Captain John Davies, master of the ‘Mary Johanna’. On 14th May 1879 Captain John Williams of Cannon House died at sea en route to Volparaiso, aged 37. By the late 1880’s-1904 Margaretta Williams, widow of Captain John Williams, traded here as a grocer. In 1891 the following persons lived here: Margaretta Williams, 44, widow, grocer; Johnny Williams, 15, her son, a tailor’s apprentice; David Williams, 14, son; George Williams, 11, son; and Kate Johnson, 18, general servant. All were born in the parish. In 1891-1967 David Williams, master mariner, lived here. On 3rd April 1896 John Williams, eldest son of Mrs. Williams of Cannon House, died aged 20. In 1901 Margaretta Williams, 54, widow, lived here and traded as an ironmonger. She had been born in the parish and was Welsh-speaking. In 1901-16 Mrs. Margaretta Williams lived here. On 1st January 1907 Captain David Williams of Cannon House, eldest son of the late Captain John Williams, married Miss L. H. Davies, youngest daughter of Captain John Davies, Fern Grove. In 1911 the following persons lived here: Margaretta Williams, 64, widow; and Winifred Jones, 58, servant. Both were St. Dogmaels born and bilingual. On March 31st 1916 Margaretta Williams was buried at St. Dogmaels having died aged 68 on 27th March 1916.
During the 1914-18 war Lieutenant George D. Williams of Cannon House did distinguished service at sea, for which he was promoted to Lieutenant Commander. In 1920 George D. Williams of Cannon House left for Australia. On 5th May 1921 Captain George D. Williams married Helen Sheppard in Sydney. On 17th March 1924 Mrs. C. Evans, formerly of Myrtle House, Napier Street, Cardigan, died here. In 1924-27 Lizzie Hannah Williams lived here. On June 26th 1927 Lizzie Hannah Williams, wife of Captain David WIlliams, died aged 50. In 1937-42 Miss Ione L. Williams lived here. In 1937-39 Jane Lloyd Williams and David Williams lived here. In June 1939 Captain George David Williams, brother of David Williams of Cannon House, was decorated – receiving a C. M. G.
On 17th August 1944 Ione Williams, daughter of Captain and the late Mrs. David Williams, married Jack Huffington of London. In July 1946 Captain George David Williams returned here after 26 years in Australia. In 1947 Captain George David Williams and Captain David Williams lived here. On January 20th 1967 Captain David Williams died aged 90.
In 1993 the house was described by CADW:
“…Later C19 terraced house, unpainted stucco, slate roof and banded stone E end stack. Bracketted eaves. Two storeys, three-window range of 12-pane sashes with rusticated surrounds and painted slate sills. Centre 4-panel door with traceried overlight in pilastered doorcase with corniced hood on brackets matching those at eaves. Rusticated angle quoins.
Area enclosed by concrete block rusticated wall with painted wood balustrade and ornate wooden gate…”
Cardigan & Tivy-Side Advertiser 1879; 1896; 1907; 1909; 1914; 1916; 1920-21; 1923-24; 1934-35;
1937-39; 1941-42; 1944-47
Accounts – Rebuilding Blaenywaun Chapel, St. Dogmaels 1891
Census Returns 1891; 1901; 1911
Occupiers List of Voters – St. Dogmaels 30/07/1894
St. Dogmaels Parish Register – Burials 1885-1952
Kelly’s Directory of South Wales 1926
St. Dogmaels School Register
The Times 01/09/1947
Blaenywaun Chapel Annual Report 1938; 1939; 1988
Buildings of Historical or Architectural Interest – St. Dogmaels, Julian Orbach, CADW 1993
The Phone Book 2003.
© Glen K Johnson 22/06/2013