Much of the history of No. 5 is connected to the adjoining ‘Bridge House’. It was probably built in the late C18. It is shown on J. Wood’s 1834 map of Cardigan as part of David Davies’ business premises. In 1841 the following persons may have lived here: Hannah Terry, 65, independent; John Morgan, 15, mariner’s apprentice; Ann Morgan, 13; Eleanor Morgan, 13; Hannah Morgan, 9; and David Morgan, 3. In 1851 this may have been the home of Thomas Evans, 42, Curate of Llangoedmor (b. Aberystwyth), and Mary Davies, 30, general servant (b. Aberystwyth). In 1854-60 Captain John Walters lived here. On 3rd October 1844 he had married a daughter of Jonathan Jones, Sail-maker, and Mrs. Jones, No. 26 High Street. On 20th December 1854 John Walters of Bridge Street, perhaps the father or son of the aforementioned Captain, was buried at St. Mary’s Church having died aged 48.
William Williams Smith, solicitor, became the tenant in 1860 and lived here in 1860-69. In 1861 the property was the home of William Williams Smith, 27, solicitor (b. Pembroke); his wife Jane Smith, 22 (b. Carmarthen); and a servant – Elizabeth Jones, 33. On 24th June 1862 William W. Smith & Jane Smith had their daughter, Susan Anne Smith, christened at St. Mary’s Church. On 30th June 1864 William James Smith, son of William Williams Smith & Jane Smith, was christened at St. Mary’s Church. On 11th October 1866 Albert John Smith was christened at St. Mary’s Church – the son of William W. & Jane Smith. On 18th March 1869 Arthur Grismund Smith, son of William Williams Smith & Jane Smith, was christened at St. Mary’s Church.
In 1874-75 Frederick Isaac Wall, an agent of ‘TheWhitland & Cardigan Railway Company’, was probably the tenant. Martha Phillips, widow, was the tenant from at least 1880-84. The following persons lived here in 1881: Martha Phillips, 70, retired draper; Elizabeth Phillips, 30, her daughter; and a servant.
Ca. 1886 Timothy Sambrook opened a jeweller’s shop here where he traded in 1886-1913. In 1889 Edward Sambrook was probably born here. In 1890 Lilly Sambrook was born here. In 1891 the following persons lived here: Timothy Sambrook, 31, watch-maker (b. Bristol); Anna Anne Sambrook, 25, his wife (b. Rhyd); Thomas Sambrook, 4, their son (b. Cwrtnewydd); Edward Sambrook, 2, son (b. Cardigan); Lilly Sambrook, 11 months, daughter (b. Rhyd); and Mary Elias, 16, servant (b. Cardigan). All were Welsh-speaking. On 9th June 1895 Johnny Sambrook was born here, the son of Mr. & Mrs. Timothy Sambrook. On 27th September 1898 Rosina Sambrook was born here, daughter of Mr. & Mrs. Timothy Sambrook.
On 6th September 1900 Daisy Sambrook was born here. In 1901 the following persons lived here: Timothy Sambrook, 40 (b. Bristol); Anna Sambrook, 33, his wife (b. London); Thomas Sambrook, 14, their son (b. Llandygwydd); Edward Sambrook, 12, son (b. Blaenporth); Lily Sambrook, 10, daughter (b. Cardigan); Johnny Sambrook, 6, son (b. Cardigan); Rosina Sambrook, 2, daughter (b. Cardigan); Daisy Sambrook, 6 months, daughter (b. Cardigan); Margaret A. Evans, 25, cook (b. Cardigan); Hannah M. Bowen, 16, domestic servant (b. Cilgerran); George Eadon, 47, boarder, pianoforte tuner (b. London, English-speaking); and William Selby, 63, boarder, builder (b. Hampshire, English-speaking). Except where noted otherwise, all were bilingual. On 20th November 1902 Daisy Sambrook, the youngest daughter of Mr. & Mrs. Timothy Sambrook, died aged 2. In 1910-15 this was part of ‘Sambrook’s Temperance Hotel’, then run by Mrs. Anna Sambrook, together with a watch-maker’s premises. On 16th November 1911 Lily Sambrook, daughter of Timothy Sambrook, married David Hughes, auctioneer. On 4th July 1913 the death of Timothy Sambrook at the age of 54 was reported. He left a widow and four children. In May 1914 Mrs. Anna Sambrook was running her late husband’s jewellery shop here. On 6th October 1914 Mrs. Anna Sambrook, widow, married T. E. Humphreys of London. On 3rd November 1915 the ‘Sambrook Hotel’ was due to be sold by auction for Mrs. Anna Humphreys, who was leaving.
In December 1915 John Thomas Evans purchased the watch-maker’s and jeweller’s business from Mrs. Anna Humphreys. 1915-23 J. T. Evans, jeweller, lived and traded here. On 27th June 1916 John Thomas Evans, watch-maker, married Miss M. Owen. On 24th April 1917 a son was born to Mr. & Mrs. John Thomas Evans of No. 5 Bridge Street. In July 1923 J. T. Evans, jeweller & watch-maker, moved from No. 5 Bridge Street to No. 11 Pendre. In September 1923 No. 5 Bridge Street was advertised for sale. In 1930 the building was part of the ‘Grosvenor Hotel’. On 24th February 1951 the 13-bedroom property (together with No. 4 Bridge Street) was sold by auction to E. J. Birrt of Pentood, St. Dogmaels for £4,500.
The building was listed in 1961. In February 1977 ‘George Davies & Evans’ solicitors applied for planning permission to change part of the ‘Grosvenor Hotel’ here into their offices. In 1977-2013 this was the solicitor’s office of ‘George, Davies & Evans’. The ground floor and basement were gutted and refitted in 2002. Towards the end of 2002, the exterior was refurbished, including the partial reinstatement of two chimney stacks and the ground floor sash windows.
It was described by CADW in 1992:
“…Later C18 house, stucco fronted with hipped slate roof, moulded eaves cornice and rebuilt south end stack. Three-storey, 3-window range of cambered-headed windows 6-pane sashes to upper floor, 12-pane to first floor and plate glass to ground floor right. Centre door and left canted bay window. Sashes have painted slate sills and raised stucco surrounds with keystones. Door is late C20 and stucco has been scraped back to reveal cambered-headed blue lias stone doorway. Bay has plate glass sashes and hipped lead roof. Stucco angle pilasters. Three-window north end wall with similar sashes to upper floors.
INTERIOR – Narrow dog-leg stair with stick balusters, 6-panel doors.
Old photograph c1930, shows a brick stack on front roof slope and pilastered porch with cornice…”
ADDITIONAL (2007) – Following 2002 renovations, plate glass window to ground floor right replaced with 12-pane sash. Replica door surround with pilasters and hood and 6-panel timber door to main entrance.
Map of Cardigan, John Wood 1834
Parish Records of St. Mary’s, Cardigan
Census Returns 1851; 1861; 1881; 1891; 1901
NLW MSS 5540-5542
O. S. Map 1887 etc.
List of Voters – Cardigan, 25/07/1910
Kelly’s Directory of South Wales 1914
Postcard – Grosvenor Hotel, New Centurion Publishing, c1930
Cardigan & Tivy-Side Advertiser 1893-96; 1898-1902; 1905-06; 1911; 1913-17; 1923; 1951; 1977;
Cardigan & the Lower Teifi Valley in Old Photographs, Dyfed Cultural Services 1989
Buildings of Architectural or Historic Interest – Cardigan, CADW 1992
Caring For Cardigan 1998
Genealogy.com – Christopher Sambrook, 2008
© Glen K Johnson 01/06/2013.