• Ceredigion

    No. 4 HIGH STREET, CARDIGAN (NATIONAL WESTMINSTER BANK)

    by  • June 11, 2013 • Bank, Cardigan, Ceredigion, Modern, Period, Post-Medieval, Site Type • 2 Comments

    History: No. 4 was erected in the C18. In 1821-44 Morgan Jenkins, draper, lived and traded here. Morgan Jenkins owned shares in the following Cardigan ships: ‘Mary’, 68 tons (1825), ‘Gleaner’, 97 tons (1825-36); ‘Velox’, 48 tons (1829-43); “Emerald”, 49 tons (1836); “Shannon”, 99 tons (1836); “Jane”, 97 tons (1838); “Sincerity”, 59 tons (1840);...

    Read more →

    TYMAWR (Belotti’s), HIGH STREET, CARDIGAN

    by  • June 11, 2013 • Cardigan, Ceredigion, House, Modern, Period, Post-Medieval, Shop, Site Type • 6 Comments

    History: Two houses occupied the site by the late C16. The southerly one was rented out on 14th December 1566 by Gruffydd ap Jenkins ap Res Heire of Cardigan, carpenter, to Fraunces Weilshe of Cardigan, merchant. Philip David, smith, who had leased it from Jenkin ap Res Heire, had formerly occupied it. An annual...

    Read more →

    No. 3 GREEN STREET (TY CASTELL)

    by  • June 10, 2013 • Cardigan, Ceredigion, House, Modern, Period, Post-Medieval, Site Type • 0 Comments

    History: The name means ‘Castle House’. In 1828-55 Joshua Morgan Thomas, grocer & draper, son of the Rev. Timothy Thomas of Aberduar, lived and traded here. His brother was another Rev. Timothy Thomas of Newcastle Emlyn. Prior to coming to Cardigan, he had kept a school at Nefyn, Caernarfonshire. From 1827-32 Joshua Morgan Thomas,...

    Read more →