• Ceredigion

    No. 9 PENDRE, OLD BETHANIA

    by  • August 27, 2013 • Cardigan, Ceredigion, Chapel, Modern, Period, Post-Medieval, Shop, Site Type • 0 Comments

    History: In 1775 Bethania Baptist Chapel was founded here and built through the efforts of Rev. William Williams, J P (b.1732 near Blaenffos, Pembrokeshire), formerly of Ebenezer, Drefach, Carmarthenshire. It opened on 19th April 1776 with Rev. William Williams as the first Minister and 24 members. The chapel was originally subsidiary to Ebenezer Baptist...

    Read more →

    No. 6 PENDRE, ADELPHI, ‘EMLYN ARMS’ (Yum Yum’s)

    by  • August 27, 2013 • Cardigan, Ceredigion, Inn, Modern, Period, Post-Medieval, Shop, Site Type • 0 Comments

    History: No. 6 is shown on John Wood’s 1834 map of Cardigan as the property of Mr. Edwards. In 1850 the “Emlyn Arms” public house stood here. In 1861 the following persons lived here: Benjamin Bateman, 49, haulier & publican; Charlotte Bateman, 39, his wife; and William Bateman, 5, their son. In 1861-78 Benjamin...

    Read more →