• Bridell

    PENYBRYN ARMS

    by  • December 14, 2014 • Uncategorized • 0 Comments

      History: In 1867-71 William Morris, a carpenter, was the landlord of the Penybryn Arms. In 1875-91 Sarah Morris, the widow of William Morris, was the publican. In 1891 the following persons lived here: Sarah Morris, aged 64, widow, a licensed victualler; and Mary Hannah Thomas, aged 12, a servant. On 27th December 1891...

    Read more →

    BRIDELL BOARD SCHOOL

    by  • September 25, 2013 • Uncategorized • 0 Comments

    History:     Reference was made to an earlier school, possibly Baptist, held at Penybryn in 1830. In the 1870′s a school was held at Penyfeidr for the children of Bridell. The Board School was built in 1879 and opened on 10th May 1880. Mr. J. W. Morris was the first headmaster. On 7th...

    Read more →

    BRIDELL COTTAGE; BRIDELL INN

    by  • August 13, 2013 • Uncategorized • 0 Comments

    History: The pub was opened ca. 1780 by David George. (1) In 1795 Thomas George was the publican. (2) In 1819 Louisa George was the publican. (3) In January 1839 the freehold of the ‘Bridell Inn’ was offered for sale at the ‘Black Lion’, Cardigan. The pub had been in the occupation of David...

    Read more →

    PLASYBRIDELL

    by  • July 25, 2013 • Uncategorized • 3 Comments

    History: Thomas George may have been living here as early as 1st January 1746 and was recorded again on 10th May 1762. In 1786 the property was Bridell farmhouse, occupied by Mary George, widow. In 1787-1803 Thomas George was the owner & occupier. At a service held in Blaenwaun Baptist Chapel, St. Dogmaels, on...

    Read more →

    FFYNNONCORONAU

    by  • July 22, 2013 • Uncategorized • 0 Comments

    History: The name means ‘Well of Crowns’ – perhaps once a place of religious offerings. Reference was made in 1623 to “Placeffynnon y Corane”. On 28th June 1633 Thomas Revell of Bridell granted to David Parry of Noyadd Trefawr, Llandygwydd, the “…capital messuage called Crownes Well…” On 24th September 1634, John and Llywelyn Parry...

    Read more →

    TYGWYN

    by  • July 1, 2013 • Uncategorized • 8 Comments

    History: The present name means ‘White House’, and the old name meant ‘Hobgoblin’s End’. Reference was made in 1615 and 1626 to “Plas Pant pecka”. Both names were recorded in 1779. In 1786 James Bowen, who became the Mayor of Cardigan that year, owned Tygwyn. Tygwyn devolved to Thomas Bowen of Pantyderi. In 1786-90...

    Read more →

    TRELEDDYN UCHAF

    by  • July 1, 2013 • Uncategorized • 2 Comments

    History: On 4th April 1780 the property was sold with 91 acres as part of an estate. In 1786-1803 Rev. Lewis Davies was the owner and occupier of Treleddyn Uchaf. On 18th February 1816 Elizabeth Devonald, daughter of John & Eleanor Devonald (nee’ Davies) of Treleddyn, was baptised at Bridell Church. The same happened...

    Read more →

    PENYBRYN BAPTIST CHAPEL

    by  • July 1, 2013 • Uncategorized • 20 Comments

    History: In 1809 reference was made to ‘Ebenezer Meeting House’ in Bridell parish – perhaps an earlier Baptist chapel, named as an off-shoot of Ebenezer, Dyfed. In 1818 Thomas Williams of Glanpwllafon, St. Dogmaels, granted a piece of land for building a Baptist Chapel here for 1s. per annum for 5,000 years. The chapel...

    Read more →

    MAESYFELIN

    by  • July 1, 2013 • Uncategorized • 0 Comments

    History: The name means ‘The Mill Field’. Rev. John Picton George, Rector of Bridell, had the building erected as his new home in 1850. It was completed in 1852. Rev. John Picton George lived here in 1852-79. Rev. John Picton George attended and helped to facilitate a meeting of the Cambrian Archaeological Association at...

    Read more →

    CHURCH OF ST. DAVID

    by  • July 1, 2013 • Uncategorized • 3 Comments

    History: An early Christian inscribed stone stands in the churchyard. In 1357-70 Philip Seys was the Rector. In 1398 a petition was sent to the Chancellor by the Rector, Richard ap Gwilym, requesting confirmation of his position. On 24th May 1399 Richard, also known as Rhys ap Gwilym, was ordained a deacon. He was...

    Read more →