• Pembrokeshire

    GRANANT UCHAF

    by  • September 11, 2013 • Farm, Medieval, Modern, Pembrokeshire, Period, Post-Medieval, Site Type, St. Dogmaels • 0 Comments

    History: In 1375 the property, referred to as “…cors Granant…”, with standing buildings, was probably held by Rees ap Griffith ap Gwilym and his wife, Gladws, daughter of Lewelyn. Reference was made in 1442 to “…dominiurium de graunt et lefose…” – the property of William Lloyd. In 1584 the property comprised “..Granant ycha…” and...

    Read more →

    NORWOOD HOUSE, HIGH STREET

    by  • August 18, 2013 • House, Modern, Pembrokeshire, Period, Post-Medieval, Site Type, St. Dogmaels • 0 Comments

    History: In the late 19th Century Captain John Griffiths, master of the Cardigan ship “Europa”, lived here. In 1861 Mary Griffiths, 33, mariner’s wife, lived here with Elizabeth Hoge, 54, mariner’s wife. In 1871 the property was the home of John Griffiths, 46, widower, Master Mariner. In 1891 the following persons lived on the...

    Read more →

    ABIGAIL HOUSE, HIGH STREET

    by  • August 17, 2013 • House, Modern, Pembrokeshire, Period, Post-Medieval, Site Type, St. Dogmaels • 1 Comment

    History: The 70-ton St. Dogmaels schooner ‘Abigail’ was built in Cardigan in 1836. William Griffiths was the master of that vessel and lived here, having had the property built and named after his ship. Captain William Griffiths had two sons – John and David Griffiths, who also became captains. In 1851-61 Captain William Griffiths...

    Read more →

    GILFACH

    by  • August 16, 2013 • House, Modern, Pembrokeshire, Post-Medieval, Site Type, St. Dogmaels • 0 Comments

    History: The name means ‘Nook’. In 1766 the will of Jenkin Lewis of Cardigan left the property to his daughter, Mary Lewis. On 21st May 1768 “…Gill Vach…together with Outhouses and a large garden facing the river there…” formerly granted by Thomas Parry to Thomas Hugh, was then occupied by William Mathias Lewis. On...

    Read more →