• Pembrokeshire

    FFYNNONCORONAU

    by  • July 22, 2013 • Bridell, Farm, Modern, Pembrokeshire, Period, Post-Medieval, Site Type • 0 Comments

    History: The name means ‘Well of Crowns’ – perhaps once a place of religious offerings. Reference was made in 1623 to “Placeffynnon y Corane”. On 28th June 1633 Thomas Revell of Bridell granted to David Parry of Noyadd Trefawr, Llandygwydd, the “…capital messuage called Crownes Well…” On 24th September 1634, John and Llywelyn Parry...

    Read more →

    AMBLESTONE (SHIP INN), HIGH STREET

    by  • July 22, 2013 • House, Inn, Modern, Pembrokeshire, Period, Post-Medieval, St. Dogmaels • 1 Comment

    History: On 12th July 1817 George Richards, widower, married Anne Evans, widow. If this was the same couple recorded here later, both lost their original spouses at a very young age. On 25th January 1818 David Richards, son of George Richards, mariner, and Anne Richards, probably of this place, was christened at St. Thomas’...

    Read more →

    VIOLET HOUSE, HIGH STREET

    by  • July 21, 2013 • House, Modern, Pembrokeshire, Period, Post-Medieval, Site Type, St. Dogmaels • 0 Comments

    History: In 1861 the probable occupiers were George Griffiths, 50, retired tailor; and Anne Griffiths, 50, widow. In May 1878 George Richards, master mariner, owned shares in ‘The Cardigan Mercantile Company’. In 1878-1913 George Richards lived here. In 1881 the following persons lived here: George Richards, 49, widower, retired master mariner; Elizabeth Richards, 22,...

    Read more →

    MARINER’S, HIGH STREET (MARINER’S ARMS)

    by  • July 21, 2013 • House, Inn, Modern, Pembrokeshire, Period, Post-Medieval, Site Type, St. Dogmaels • 0 Comments

    History: No building is marked here on the 1838 tithe map. On 17th February 1851 William Morgan conveyed the property to solicitor Thomas Charles of High Street, Cardigan. In 1851 the occupiers were probably: David Owen, 76, Master mariner; and Mary Owen, 63, his wife; (or else: Ann Gilead, 34, married; Jane Gilead, 12,...

    Read more →

    CROSS HOUSE (SAILOR’S HOME), HIGH STREET

    by  • July 21, 2013 • House, Inn, Modern, Pembrokeshire, Period, Post-Medieval, Site Type, St. Dogmaels • 0 Comments

    Site Name: CROSS HOUSE; “SAILOR’S HOME”; “SAILOR’S ARMS”.  History: There was no building here at the time of the 1838 Tithe map. In 1844-50 Richard Jones was the landlord of “The Sailor’s Arms”. Before 1854 David Owen was the tenant and John Williams, miller, was the owner. In 1854 Peter Davies was the tenant....

    Read more →