• Pembrokeshire

    TYRHOS INDEPENDENT CHAPEL, RHOSHILL

    by  • June 30, 2013 • Chapel, Cilgerran, Modern, Pembrokeshire, Period, Post-Medieval, Site Type • 0 Comments

    History: The name was recorded in 1762. The Independent chapel, styling itself “Ty Cwrdd y Rhos”, was formed in a house named Tyrhos. It initially consisted of 19 members from the surrounding chapels:- John Jones, David Luke, Margaret Luke, David Edwards, Mary Edwards, David Morris, David Williams, Martha Williams, Margaret Rees, Frances Rees, Martha...

    Read more →

    TYMELYN, CASTLE SQUARE

    by  • June 30, 2013 • Cilgerran, House, Modern, Pembrokeshire, Period, Post-Medieval, Site Type • 0 Comments

    History: The name means ‘Yellow House’. On 17th January 1889 Fanny Williams of Tymelyn was buried at Cilgerran Church having died aged 32. George C. Williams occupied Tymelyn in 1890-93. In 1891 the following persons lived here: 1): George Williams, 37, retired farmer; Mary Ellen Williams, 37, his wife; 2): Eynon Richards, 35, plumber;...

    Read more →

    FFOREST, CILGERRAN

    by  • June 30, 2013 • Cilgerran, House, Medieval, Modern, Pembrokeshire, Period, Post-Medieval, Site Type • 7 Comments

    History: By 1275 Nicholas fitz Martin had taken £40 worth of timber from here for his mill at Newport. The property was mentioned in 1390, also known as “Kevendrym“. Owain Mortimer and others carried timber from Cilgerran Forest for extensive repairs to Cardigan Castle and mills, from 1429-32. The property was recorded in 1465...

    Read more →