• St. Dogmaels

    THE OLD BAKERY, HIGH STREET

    by  • July 19, 2013 • House, Modern, Pembrokeshire, Period, Post-Medieval, Shop, Site Type, St. Dogmaels • 0 Comments

    History: There is a building here marked on the 1838 Tithe Map, which accounts for the surviving probably re-used pegged roof trusses with carpenter’s marks. In 1861 the following persons lived here: Mary Griffiths, 40, mariner’s wife; Mary Griffiths, 69, probably her mother-in-law; and Ann Williams, 64, visitor, baker. In 1871 the following persons...

    Read more →

    BETHSAIDA BAPTIST CHAPEL, HIGH STREET

    by  • July 19, 2013 • Chapel, Modern, Pembrokeshire, Period, Post-Medieval, Site Type, St. Dogmaels • 0 Comments

    History: The chapel, built as a chapel-of-ease to Blaenywaun Baptist Chapel, with the same Deacons and Minister, was built to replace that of “Ty’r Bont” across the street in 1837-38. Enoch Davies was the architect. The chapel appears to be indicated on the 1838 Tithe Map. It opened on 28th & 29th March 1838....

    Read more →

    FOUNTAIN HOUSE, HIGH STREET

    by  • July 18, 2013 • House, Modern, Pembrokeshire, Period, Post-Medieval, Site Type, St. Dogmaels • 2 Comments

    History: In 1844 this may have been a public house run by Elizabeth James. In 1881 the following persons lived here: Jane Richards, 41, seaman’s wife; John Richards, 12, her son; Eddward James Richards, 10, son; Mary J. Richards, 6, daughter; Elizabeth Richards, 4, daughter; and Margaret Richards, 2, daughter. On 5th June 1881...

    Read more →

    CARDIGAN BAY INN, LONGDOWN BANK

    by  • July 17, 2013 • House, Inn, Modern, Pembrokeshire, Period, Post-Medieval, Site Type, St. Dogmaels • 0 Comments

    History: In 1861-78 James & Elizabeth Tucker lived here. In 1861 the following persons lived here: James Tucker, 33, mariner; Elizabeth Tucker, 27, his wife; and Ellen Tucker, 7 months, their daughter. In 1871 Elizabeth Tucker, 37, sailor’s wife, lived here with their daughters, Ellen Tucker, 11, and Elizabeth Tucker, 8. On January 18th...

    Read more →

    CAPEL DEGWEL, ST. DOGMAELS

    by  • July 17, 2013 • Chapel, Modern, Pembrokeshire, Period, Post-Medieval, Site Type, St. Dogmaels • 0 Comments

    History: The congregation was founded in 1820 by members of the congregations at Cardigan, Moylegrove and Trewen. It was originally an itinerant group meeting in the houses of members. By 1826 Rev. Daniel Davies, Minister of Capel Mair, Cardigan, had purchased Ffynnondegwel for the purpose of erecting a chapel here. In 1828 Rev. Daniel...

    Read more →

    BRYN SALEM CONGREGATIONAL CHAPEL, CIPPYN

    by  • July 17, 2013 • Chapel, Modern, Pembrokeshire, Period, Post-Medieval, Site Type, St. Dogmaels • 5 Comments

    History – The congregation was probably founded in 1847, probably by Minister Rev. David Evans as an off-shoot of Bethel Congregational Chapel, Moylegrove, and the building was completed in 1852. In 1849 Rev. David Evans was ordained the Minister and remained so until he moved to Carmarthenshire in 1859, after which Rev. Llewelyn Rees...

    Read more →