• Medieval

    CARDIGAN ISLAND

    by  • July 27, 2013 • Ceredigion, Ferwig, Medieval, Period, Post-Medieval • 0 Comments

    History: There is evidence of a settlement here from the Post Roman period. An extent for 1268 refers to the island by a Norse name – “Hasti Holm“. It is marked as “Cardigan Island” on Saxton’s 1578 map and on John Speed’s map of 1610. On 13th July 1717 the island formed part of...

    Read more →

    CARDIGAN RAILWAY STATION (St. JULIAN’S CHAPEL)

    by  • July 18, 2013 • Cardigan, Ceredigion, Church, House, Medieval, Modern, Period, Post-Medieval • 0 Comments

    Site Name: CARDIGAN RAILWAY TERMINUS; ST. JULIAN’S CHAPEL; CAPEL SIDAN. History: In 1188 Gerald de Barri (Giraldus Cambrensis) and Archbishop Baldwin recruited men for the Third Crusade, on this site. “…On the Cemais side of the river, not far from the bridge, the people of the neighbourhood being assembled together and Rhys and his...

    Read more →

    BANK HOUSE, No. 6 HIGH STREET (Shopping Arcade)

    by  • July 9, 2013 • Bank, Cardigan, Ceredigion, House, Medieval, Modern, Period, Post-Medieval, Shop, Site Type • 0 Comments

    History: It is said that a medieval vault survived here until 1985. By 1805 Thomas Davies, Bridge House, was a merchant banker, and opened a bank here at about that date. In 1825 Thomas Davies of Bridge House and Bank House owned the Cardigan ships ‘Active’ (54 tons) and ‘Irish Miner’ (90 tons). Thomas...

    Read more →

    THE ORIGINAL FACTORY SHOP/OLD GAOL/GWALIA HOUSE

    by  • July 6, 2013 • Cardigan, Ceredigion, House, Medieval, Modern, Period, Post-Medieval, Shop, Site Type • 0 Comments

    Site Name: CARDIGAN GAOL; CARDIGAN LOCK-UP; SWAN INN; GWALIA HOUSE; WOOLWORTHS’; THE ORIGINAL FACTORY SHOP. History: A gaol may have stood here as early as 1599 on the site later occupied by ‘The Original Factory Shop’. John Speed’s 1610 map shows the mural tower of the town wall which once stood to the rear...

    Read more →