• Medieval

    GLANPWLLAFON & CAPEL CARANOG

    by  • June 21, 2013 • Church, House, Medieval, Modern, Pembrokeshire, Period, Post-Medieval, Site Type, St. Dogmaels • 0 Comments

    History: The name means ‘On the Bank of the River Pool’. Reference was made in 1600 to “Capell Cranog” – a mediaeval chapel dedicated to St. Caranog stood here. Reference was made on 23rd June 1612 and in 1665 to “Cappell Crannog”. In 1768 the property, referred to as “…Clan Pwwll Avon, otherwise Cappall...

    Read more →

    CAERAU

    by  • June 20, 2013 • Cemetery, Hillfort, House, Iron Age, Medieval, Modern, Pembrokeshire, Period, Post-Medieval, Site Type, St. Dogmaels • 0 Comments

    History: The name means ‘Round Walls’. A Post-Roman cemetery is located here within an Iron Age  multivallate enclosure. On 20th May 1417 eight acres of land at “Caire Llandebloden” was released by Philip ap Ieuan ap Madoc Vichan to his nephew – Philip ap Ieuan ap Ieuan ap Madoc Vichan. His father, Ieuan ap...

    Read more →

    ST. DOGMAELS ABBEY

    by  • June 19, 2013 • Abbey, Medieval, Modern, Pembrokeshire, Period, Post-Medieval, Site Type, St. Dogmaels • 8 Comments

    History: In 1113 Robert fitz Martin, the new Norman Lord of Cemais (since ca.1109), founded a Priory “…near the ancient cell of St. Dogmael…” He brought thirteen monks from Tiron (now Thiron-Gardais) in Normandy, France, for that purpose. The reformed Benedictine Order of Tiron was founded between 1106 and that year by St. Bernard...

    Read more →

    No. 43 ST. MARY STREET

    by  • June 18, 2013 • Cardigan, Ceredigion, House, Medieval, Modern, Period, Post-Medieval, Site Type • 0 Comments

    History: The property is marked on John Wood’s 1834 map of Cardigan. The following persons lived here in 1871: Thomas Davies, 74, mariner, and Sarah Phoebe Davies, 8, visitor. In 1871 William Davies, earthenware dealer, traded here. In 1881 the following persons lived here: Lewis Griffiths, 53, painter & glazier (formerly of No. 49...

    Read more →

    THE ANGEL HOTEL, No. 36 ST. MARY STREET

    by  • June 17, 2013 • Cardigan, Ceredigion, Inn, Medieval, Modern, Period, Post-Medieval, Site Type • 5 Comments

    History: In 1158 Roger De Clare granted three burgages here to the Knights Hospitaller of St. John based at Slebech, Pembrokeshire. They built a hospice here for lepers and the local sick and infirm, which was later largely used by pilgrims visiting the shrine at St. Mary’s Church. In 1308 the brethren were granted...

    Read more →

    PARISH CHURCH OF ST. MARY, CARDIGAN – TIME-LINE

    by  • May 23, 2013 • Cardigan, Ceredigion, Church, Medieval, Modern, Period, Post-Medieval, Site Type • 4 Comments

      1158 – Roger de Clare may have founded the parish church as the secular church of Cardigan Priory. 1165 – Lord Rhys ap Gruffydd granted the church to Chertsey Abbey. 1175 – The Abbot of Gloucester made an unsuccessful attempt to claim the church. Reference was made to the presentation many years earlier...

    Read more →