• Modern

    No. 4 HIGH STREET, CARDIGAN (NATIONAL WESTMINSTER BANK)

    by  • June 11, 2013 • Bank, Cardigan, Ceredigion, Modern, Period, Post-Medieval, Site Type • 2 Comments

    History: No. 4 was erected in the C18. In 1821-44 Morgan Jenkins, draper, lived and traded here. Morgan Jenkins owned shares in the following Cardigan ships: ‘Mary’, 68 tons (1825), ‘Gleaner’, 97 tons (1825-36); ‘Velox’, 48 tons (1829-43); “Emerald”, 49 tons (1836); “Shannon”, 99 tons (1836); “Jane”, 97 tons (1838); “Sincerity”, 59 tons (1840);...

    Read more →

    TYMAWR (Belotti’s), HIGH STREET, CARDIGAN

    by  • June 11, 2013 • Cardigan, Ceredigion, House, Modern, Period, Post-Medieval, Shop, Site Type • 6 Comments

    History: Two houses occupied the site by the late C16. The southerly one was rented out on 14th December 1566 by Gruffydd ap Jenkins ap Res Heire of Cardigan, carpenter, to Fraunces Weilshe of Cardigan, merchant. Philip David, smith, who had leased it from Jenkin ap Res Heire, had formerly occupied it. An annual...

    Read more →

    No. 3 GREEN STREET (TY CASTELL)

    by  • June 10, 2013 • Cardigan, Ceredigion, House, Modern, Period, Post-Medieval, Site Type • 0 Comments

    History: The name means ‘Castle House’. In 1828-55 Joshua Morgan Thomas, grocer & draper, son of the Rev. Timothy Thomas of Aberduar, lived and traded here. His brother was another Rev. Timothy Thomas of Newcastle Emlyn. Prior to coming to Cardigan, he had kept a school at Nefyn, Caernarfonshire. From 1827-32 Joshua Morgan Thomas,...

    Read more →

    OLD HOPE CHAPEL, CARRIER’S LANE

    by  • June 9, 2013 • Cardigan, Ceredigion, Chapel, Modern, Period, Post-Medieval, Site Type • 0 Comments

    History: Ca. 1836 Thomas Lloyd came to Cardigan to establish a Foundry on the Mwldan with English-speaking Nonconformist workers from Pembrokeshire. He resolved to establish an English Nonconformist Chapel in the town. The Chapel book from 1887 records: “…In 1836 Mr. Thomas Lloyd settled in Cardigan as an Ironmonger. He as well established a...

    Read more →

    PANTYWYLAN, CAMBRIAN QUAY, CARDIGAN

    by  • June 3, 2013 • Cardigan, Ceredigion, Modern, Period, Post-Medieval, Site Type, Warehouse • 0 Comments

    History: The present name means ‘The Gull’s Hollow’. In 1830 J. Griffith had the warehouse built and dated. It is marked on J. Wood’s 1834 map of Cardigan. In 1875-76 Thomas Davies occupied Cambrian Stores here. On 11th May 1877 William James, ironmonger & implement agent, may have been selling manures here. In 1877-83...

    Read more →

    No. 1 CAMBRIAN QUAY, CARDIGAN

    by  • June 3, 2013 • Cardigan, Ceredigion, House, Inn, Modern, Period, Post-Medieval, Site Type • 3 Comments

    History: By 18th April 1871 “The Cambrian Inn” was trading here. In 1871 the following persons lived here: Margaret Thomas, 74, culm merchant (b. Pembrokeshire); Hannah Thomas, 31, her daughter (b. Pembrokeshire); David Richards, 22, grandson, mariner (b. Mynachlogddu); William James, 25, nephew, ironmonger (b. Mynachlogddu); John O. Griffiths, 37, son-in-law, master mariner (b....

    Read more →