• Modern

    BRYNYMOR, CARDIGAN

    by  • June 3, 2013 • Cardigan, Ceredigion, House, Modern, Period, Post-Medieval, Site Type • 2 Comments

    Site Name: BRYN-Y-MOR; PITCHERT; BRIDGETFACH; PRITCHARD-FACH. History: The present name means ‘The Sea Hill’. According to Samuel Rush Meyrick ‘Pitchert’ was the scene of a revenge attack during the early 14th Century when Gwilym ap Einon, sometime Constable of Cardigan Castle and founder of Towyn, Ferwig: “…slew the Irish that dwelt at Pitchert for...

    Read more →

    NEW MANCHESTER HOUSE, BRIDGE STREET

    by  • June 3, 2013 • Cardigan, Ceredigion, House, Modern, Period, Post-Medieval, Shop, Site Type • 0 Comments

    History: There were inhabited dwellings on this site (formerly named Bancymoch as it had been the site of the pig market) in 1841. Residents include: Ann Davies, lodging house keeper; William Roberts, earthenware dealer; and William Evans, 35, hawker. Situated on the junction of Bridge Street and Quay Street, the former pig market and...

    Read more →

    DUDLEY, No. 7 BRIDGE STREET

    by  • June 2, 2013 • Cardigan, Ceredigion, House, Modern, Period, Post-Medieval, Shop, Site Type • 0 Comments

    History: Thomas Williams, linen draper, began trading in 1832, probably at this address. Dudley is shown on John Wood’s 1834 map of Cardigan. In 1838-81 Thomas Williams, linen draper and burgess of Cardigan, lived and traded here. In 1848 Thomas Williams, draper, owned shares in the Cardigan ship ‘Fame’, 77 tons. In 1851 the...

    Read more →

    GLENROY, No. 6 BRIDGE STREET, CARDIGAN

    by  • June 2, 2013 • Cardigan, Ceredigion, House, Modern, Period, Post-Medieval, Shop, Site Type • 0 Comments

    History: Glenroy is shown on John Wood’s 1834 Map of Cardigan. In 1836-71 Catherine Baynes lived here. In 1836 Catherine Baynes, widow, owned shares in the ship ‘Fame’, 78 tons. In 1837 she owned shares in the ship ‘Expedition’, 37 tons. In 1841-81 David Richard Baynes lived here intermittently. In 1841 Catherine Baynes, 40,...

    Read more →

    CASTLE CHAMBERS (George, Davies & Evans), No. 5 BRIDGE STREET, CARDIGAN

    by  • June 2, 2013 • Cardigan, Ceredigion, House, Modern, Period, Post-Medieval, Site Type • 0 Comments

    History: Much of the history of No. 5 is connected to the adjoining ‘Bridge House’. It was probably built in the late C18. It is shown on J. Wood’s 1834 map of Cardigan as part of David Davies’ business premises. In 1841 the following persons may have lived here: Hannah Terry, 65, independent; John...

    Read more →

    GROSVENOR HOTEL/BRIDGE HOUSE, BRIDGE STREET

    by  • June 1, 2013 • Cardigan, Ceredigion, Inn, Modern, Period, Post-Medieval, Site Type • 9 Comments

    History: Reference was made on 3rd May 1720 to a newly-erected dwelling house, perhaps here, with quays and wharves belonging to the property, which was occupied by Jenkin George. Bridge House was built or rebuilt c.1785. In 1795-1832 Thomas Davies (b. 17/04/1758) lived here – the son of Evan David, mariner and former warden...

    Read more →

    PARISH CHURCH OF ST. MARY, CARDIGAN – TIME-LINE

    by  • May 23, 2013 • Cardigan, Ceredigion, Church, Medieval, Modern, Period, Post-Medieval, Site Type • 4 Comments

      1158 – Roger de Clare may have founded the parish church as the secular church of Cardigan Priory. 1165 – Lord Rhys ap Gruffydd granted the church to Chertsey Abbey. 1175 – The Abbot of Gloucester made an unsuccessful attempt to claim the church. Reference was made to the presentation many years earlier...

    Read more →

    ABBEY OF ST. MARY TIMELINE

    by  • February 7, 2013 • Abbey, Medieval, Modern, Pembrokeshire, Period, Post-Medieval, Site Type, St. Dogmaels • 0 Comments

    Timeline: 1113 – Robert fitz Martin, Lord of Cemais, founded a Priory “…near the ancient cell of St. Dogmael…” He brought thirteen monks from Tiron in Normandy for that purpose. The reformed Benedictine Order of Tiron was founded that year by St. Bernard of Abbeville. 1118 – Robert fitz Martin brought another thirteen monks...

    Read more →