• Modern

    No. 2 PENDRE, ‘FAT OX’, CANOLFAN TEIFI

    by  • August 26, 2013 • Cardigan, Ceredigion, Inn, Modern, Period, Post-Medieval, Shop, Site Type • 0 Comments

    History: John Mathias, probably of No. 2, had shares in the following vessels: ‘Hope‘, 129 tons (1825); ‘Queen‘, 58 tons (1825); ‘Lion‘, 35 tons (1825); ‘Commerce‘, 59 tons (1825); ‘Wellington‘, 65 tons (1825); ‘Prince Regent‘, 69 tons (1825); ‘Cygnet‘, 75 tons (1826); ‘Neptune‘, 49 tons (1827)’ ‘Vulcan‘, 108 tons (1827); ‘Rosina‘, 74 tons (1828);...

    Read more →

    MWLDAN FOUNDRY

    by  • August 26, 2013 • Cardigan, Ceredigion, Modern, Period, Post-Medieval, Site Type • 2 Comments

    History: The foundry was established in 1836 by Thomas Lloyd of No. 40 St. Mary Street, with English-speaking workers which he brought with him from Pembrokeshire. It was initially primarily an anchor & chain cable works and ship’s smithy. By 1844 Thomas Lloyd had taken on some partners, and the company was trading as...

    Read more →

    No. 42 HIGH STREET

    by  • August 25, 2013 • Cardigan, Ceredigion, Modern, Post-Medieval, Shop, Site Type • 0 Comments

    History: On 28th September 1827 William Amlot of Cardigan leased No. 42 to Arthur Jones of Castle Green (Cardigan Castle), Sheriff of Cardiganshire. On 6th October 1827 Arthur Jones leased it to William Williams, druggist. William Williams lived here in 1827-51. In 1830 Mary Williams was born here. In 1832 Martha Williams was born...

    Read more →

    MANCHESTER HOUSE, No. 41 HIGH STREET

    by  • August 25, 2013 • Cardigan, Ceredigion, Modern, Period, Post-Medieval, Shop, Site Type • 0 Comments

    History: No. 41 was marked on John Wood’s 1834 map of Cardigan as the property of T. L. Lloyd. Levi Phillips, draper, traded and lived here in 1842-51. On 15th January 1847 the ‘Pembrokeshire Herald‘ reported the following item at the County Assizes: “…William Price, a tramp, pleaded guilty to the charge of stealing...

    Read more →