• Period

    OLD HOPE CHAPEL, CARRIER’S LANE

    by  • June 9, 2013 • Cardigan, Ceredigion, Chapel, Modern, Period, Post-Medieval, Site Type • 0 Comments

    History: Ca. 1836 Thomas Lloyd came to Cardigan to establish a Foundry on the Mwldan with English-speaking Nonconformist workers from Pembrokeshire. He resolved to establish an English Nonconformist Chapel in the town. The Chapel book from 1887 records: “…In 1836 Mr. Thomas Lloyd settled in Cardigan as an Ironmonger. He as well established a...

    Read more →

    PANTYWYLAN, CAMBRIAN QUAY, CARDIGAN

    by  • June 3, 2013 • Cardigan, Ceredigion, Modern, Period, Post-Medieval, Site Type, Warehouse • 0 Comments

    History: The present name means ‘The Gull’s Hollow’. In 1830 J. Griffith had the warehouse built and dated. It is marked on J. Wood’s 1834 map of Cardigan. In 1875-76 Thomas Davies occupied Cambrian Stores here. On 11th May 1877 William James, ironmonger & implement agent, may have been selling manures here. In 1877-83...

    Read more →

    No. 1 CAMBRIAN QUAY, CARDIGAN

    by  • June 3, 2013 • Cardigan, Ceredigion, House, Inn, Modern, Period, Post-Medieval, Site Type • 3 Comments

    History: By 18th April 1871 “The Cambrian Inn” was trading here. In 1871 the following persons lived here: Margaret Thomas, 74, culm merchant (b. Pembrokeshire); Hannah Thomas, 31, her daughter (b. Pembrokeshire); David Richards, 22, grandson, mariner (b. Mynachlogddu); William James, 25, nephew, ironmonger (b. Mynachlogddu); John O. Griffiths, 37, son-in-law, master mariner (b....

    Read more →

    BRYNYMOR, CARDIGAN

    by  • June 3, 2013 • Cardigan, Ceredigion, House, Modern, Period, Post-Medieval, Site Type • 2 Comments

    Site Name: BRYN-Y-MOR; PITCHERT; BRIDGETFACH; PRITCHARD-FACH. History: The present name means ‘The Sea Hill’. According to Samuel Rush Meyrick ‘Pitchert’ was the scene of a revenge attack during the early 14th Century when Gwilym ap Einon, sometime Constable of Cardigan Castle and founder of Towyn, Ferwig: “…slew the Irish that dwelt at Pitchert for...

    Read more →

    NEW MANCHESTER HOUSE, BRIDGE STREET

    by  • June 3, 2013 • Cardigan, Ceredigion, House, Modern, Period, Post-Medieval, Shop, Site Type • 0 Comments

    History: There were inhabited dwellings on this site (formerly named Bancymoch as it had been the site of the pig market) in 1841. Residents include: Ann Davies, lodging house keeper; William Roberts, earthenware dealer; and William Evans, 35, hawker. Situated on the junction of Bridge Street and Quay Street, the former pig market and...

    Read more →

    DUDLEY, No. 7 BRIDGE STREET

    by  • June 2, 2013 • Cardigan, Ceredigion, House, Modern, Period, Post-Medieval, Shop, Site Type • 0 Comments

    History: Thomas Williams, linen draper, began trading in 1832, probably at this address. Dudley is shown on John Wood’s 1834 map of Cardigan. In 1838-81 Thomas Williams, linen draper and burgess of Cardigan, lived and traded here. In 1848 Thomas Williams, draper, owned shares in the Cardigan ship ‘Fame’, 77 tons. In 1851 the...

    Read more →