• House

    No. 11 PENDRE (TREFLYN)

    by  • June 13, 2013 • Cardigan, Ceredigion, House, Modern, Period, Post-Medieval, Shop, Site Type • 3 Comments

    History: In 1807 Master Mariner Thomas Jones (b.1742) of Pendre, probably living at an earlier building on this site, wrote his will. He referred to his wife Mary Jones (a daughter of Jonathan Jenkins of Cilbronnau, Llangoedmor); son Jonathan Jones (b.1772) – sail-maker; eldest son Thomas Jones, master mariner; and late son John Jones...

    Read more →

    TABERNACLE C. M. CHAPEL, PENDRE

    by  • June 13, 2013 • Cardigan, Ceredigion, Chapel, House, Modern, Period, Post-Medieval, Site Type • 2 Comments

    History: In 1739 Rev. Howel Harries, Trefecca, and Rev. George Whitfield preached in the streets of Cardigan and one Rachel Evan, who lived here, converted to Methodism. Referring to Daniel Rowland’s earlier visit, Howel Harries wrote: “…I hear that Dear Rowland had great power here in the Town to thunder dreadfully; and they received...

    Read more →

    No. 37 HIGH STREET (STAR SHOP; THE JUDGE’S LODGINGS) (Oojufink)

    by  • June 13, 2013 • Cardigan, Ceredigion, House, Modern, Period, Post-Medieval, Shop, Site Type • 0 Comments

    History: Surviving walling in the cellar may be evidence for the presence of two mediaeval burgage plots. The present building may have been erected following complaints made in 1760 about the conditions of the Assize Judge’s quarters in the town, to serve as the lodgings for the visiting judges. It is marked on J....

    Read more →

    TYMAWR (Belotti’s), HIGH STREET, CARDIGAN

    by  • June 11, 2013 • Cardigan, Ceredigion, House, Modern, Period, Post-Medieval, Shop, Site Type • 6 Comments

    History: Two houses occupied the site by the late C16. The southerly one was rented out on 14th December 1566 by Gruffydd ap Jenkins ap Res Heire of Cardigan, carpenter, to Fraunces Weilshe of Cardigan, merchant. Philip David, smith, who had leased it from Jenkin ap Res Heire, had formerly occupied it. An annual...

    Read more →

    No. 3 GREEN STREET (TY CASTELL)

    by  • June 10, 2013 • Cardigan, Ceredigion, House, Modern, Period, Post-Medieval, Site Type • 0 Comments

    History: The name means ‘Castle House’. In 1828-55 Joshua Morgan Thomas, grocer & draper, son of the Rev. Timothy Thomas of Aberduar, lived and traded here. His brother was another Rev. Timothy Thomas of Newcastle Emlyn. Prior to coming to Cardigan, he had kept a school at Nefyn, Caernarfonshire. From 1827-32 Joshua Morgan Thomas,...

    Read more →