• House

    CAPEL

    by  • August 20, 2013 • Cardigan, Ceredigion, Farm, House, Medieval, Modern, Period, Post-Medieval, Site Type • 0 Comments

    History: The name means ‘Chapel’. The property probably takes its name from a lost mediaeval pilgrim’s chapel that once stood at Capel-bach, and may have been dedicated to St. Bartholemew. Capel was recorded in 1671. In 1806-17 John Jonathan lived here. On 22nd February 1806 Catherine Jonathan, wife of John Jonathan, died aged 56....

    Read more →

    NORWOOD HOUSE, HIGH STREET

    by  • August 18, 2013 • House, Modern, Pembrokeshire, Period, Post-Medieval, Site Type, St. Dogmaels • 0 Comments

    History: In the late 19th Century Captain John Griffiths, master of the Cardigan ship “Europa”, lived here. In 1861 Mary Griffiths, 33, mariner’s wife, lived here with Elizabeth Hoge, 54, mariner’s wife. In 1871 the property was the home of John Griffiths, 46, widower, Master Mariner. In 1891 the following persons lived on the...

    Read more →

    ABIGAIL HOUSE, HIGH STREET

    by  • August 17, 2013 • House, Modern, Pembrokeshire, Period, Post-Medieval, Site Type, St. Dogmaels • 1 Comment

    History: The 70-ton St. Dogmaels schooner ‘Abigail’ was built in Cardigan in 1836. William Griffiths was the master of that vessel and lived here, having had the property built and named after his ship. Captain William Griffiths had two sons – John and David Griffiths, who also became captains. In 1851-61 Captain William Griffiths...

    Read more →

    GILFACH

    by  • August 16, 2013 • House, Modern, Pembrokeshire, Post-Medieval, Site Type, St. Dogmaels • 0 Comments

    History: The name means ‘Nook’. In 1766 the will of Jenkin Lewis of Cardigan left the property to his daughter, Mary Lewis. On 21st May 1768 “…Gill Vach…together with Outhouses and a large garden facing the river there…” formerly granted by Thomas Parry to Thomas Hugh, was then occupied by William Mathias Lewis. On...

    Read more →