• Shop

    TYMAWR (Belotti’s), HIGH STREET, CARDIGAN

    by  • June 11, 2013 • Cardigan, Ceredigion, House, Modern, Period, Post-Medieval, Shop, Site Type • 6 Comments

    History: Two houses occupied the site by the late C16. The southerly one was rented out on 14th December 1566 by Gruffydd ap Jenkins ap Res Heire of Cardigan, carpenter, to Fraunces Weilshe of Cardigan, merchant. Philip David, smith, who had leased it from Jenkin ap Res Heire, had formerly occupied it. An annual...

    Read more →

    NEW MANCHESTER HOUSE, BRIDGE STREET

    by  • June 3, 2013 • Cardigan, Ceredigion, House, Modern, Period, Post-Medieval, Shop, Site Type • 0 Comments

    History: There were inhabited dwellings on this site (formerly named Bancymoch as it had been the site of the pig market) in 1841. Residents include: Ann Davies, lodging house keeper; William Roberts, earthenware dealer; and William Evans, 35, hawker. Situated on the junction of Bridge Street and Quay Street, the former pig market and...

    Read more →

    DUDLEY, No. 7 BRIDGE STREET

    by  • June 2, 2013 • Cardigan, Ceredigion, House, Modern, Period, Post-Medieval, Shop, Site Type • 0 Comments

    History: Thomas Williams, linen draper, began trading in 1832, probably at this address. Dudley is shown on John Wood’s 1834 map of Cardigan. In 1838-81 Thomas Williams, linen draper and burgess of Cardigan, lived and traded here. In 1848 Thomas Williams, draper, owned shares in the Cardigan ship ‘Fame’, 77 tons. In 1851 the...

    Read more →

    GLENROY, No. 6 BRIDGE STREET, CARDIGAN

    by  • June 2, 2013 • Cardigan, Ceredigion, House, Modern, Period, Post-Medieval, Shop, Site Type • 0 Comments

    History: Glenroy is shown on John Wood’s 1834 Map of Cardigan. In 1836-71 Catherine Baynes lived here. In 1836 Catherine Baynes, widow, owned shares in the ship ‘Fame’, 78 tons. In 1837 she owned shares in the ship ‘Expedition’, 37 tons. In 1841-81 David Richard Baynes lived here intermittently. In 1841 Catherine Baynes, 40,...

    Read more →