The name means ‘Yellow House’. Captain G. Lewis lived here in the 19th Century. On 6th September 1878 Daniel Thomas Morgan, William Henry Griffith Morgan and David A. Seaborn Morgan – all sons of Captain William Morgan and Eleanor Morgan of Church House, were baptised at St. Thomas’ Church. In 1881 the following persons lived here: Eleanor Morgan, 36, master mariner’s wife, (b. Cardigan); Daniel Morgan, 10, her son (b. Cardigan); William H. Morgan, 4, son (b. Cardigan); David A S Morgan, 3, son (born at sea); Deborah A Morgan, 1, daughter (b. St. Dogmaels); and Elizabeth A Thomas, 16, general servant (b. Monington). On 1st November 1882 Grace Alexandra Morgan, daughter of Captain William Morgan and Eleanor Morgan of Church House, was baptised at St. Thomas’ Church. Hannah Owens and Rachel Williams lived here in the late 1880’s. In 1891 the following persons lived here: Ellenor Morgan, 46, married (b. Cardigan); William H Morgan, 14, her son, scholar (b. St. Dogmaels); David A Morgan, 13, son (b. North Atlantic); Dora Abigail Morgan, 11, daughter (b. St. Dogmaels); and Grace Alexandria Morgan, 8, daughter (b. St. Dogmaels). On 21st September 1904 Dora Abigail Morgan, 24, daughter of Captain William Morgan of Church House, married John Hughes Perry of Hendre. In 1906-26 Captain Williams H Morgan lived at Church House. In 1911 the following persons lived here (Tymelyn): M Morgan, 71, retired master mariner (b. Cardiganshire); E Morgan, 66, his wife (b. Cardigan); and G A Morgan, 28, their daughter (b. St. Dogmaels). All were Welsh-speaking. In 1924 Captain William Morgan of Church House was a treasurer of Capel Seion Calvinistic Methodist Chapel. The house became a listed building in 1993, under the old name ‘Tymelyn’.
In 1993 it was described by CADW:
“…Earlier C19 house, altered in late C19, whitewashed roughcast with slate roof and later C19 yellow brick end stacks. Two-storey three-window front of plate glass sashes and centre door with timber pilasters and shelf hood on brackets. Mid C20 door. Painted slate plinth. Paired brackets to eaves. Outshut rear…”
In 1993 the sashes were replaced.
St. Dogmaels Parish Register – Marriages 1837-1970
St. Dogmaels Parish Register – Baptisms 1857-1967
Accounts – Rebuilding Blaenywaun 1891
Kelly’s Directory of South Wales 1906; 1914; 1926
Cardigan & Tivy-Side Advertiser 1909; 1932
Census Returns 1881; 1891; 1911
Buildings of Architectural or Historic Interest – St Dogmaels, Julian Orbach, CADW 1993.
© Glen K Johnson 20/06/2013