• CLYDFAN, PENTRELANGWM

    by  • June 21, 2013 • House, Modern, Pembrokeshire, Period, Post-Medieval, Site Type, St. Dogmaels • 0 Comments

    History:

    Clydfan was built ca1850. On 22nd March 1917 Mary James, daughter of Tom & Rachel Ann James, possibly of Clydfan, died aged 1 year. In 1939 the following persons lived here: Tom James; Rachel A. James; Griffith J. James; Daisy James; David G. James; Margaret James; and Doreen James.  In 1939-53 Mr. & Mrs. Tom James lived here. On 30th October 1940 the funeral was held of Miss Margaret Elizabeth James, 12, daughter of Mr. & Mrs. Tom James, who had died on October 26th. In 1944 the following persons lived here: Tom James; Rachel A. James; Griffith J. James; Daisy James; David George James; Doreen James; Thomas Glyndwr James; and Benjamin Euros James.  In May 1944 George James, son of Mr. & Mrs. Tom James, was in service in the armed forces. In July 1945 Euros James lived here. In June 1946 David G. James of Clydfan took over the butcher’s shop at Angel House.

    On 3rd April 1948 David George James, second son of Mr. & Mrs. Tom James, married Miss Nesta Evans of Blaenplwyf, Ferwig. In June 1948 Daisy James, daughter of Mr. & Mrs. Tom James, married George Oldall of Hounslow. On 24th July 1948 Miss Doreen James, daughter of Mr. & Mrs. Tom James, married Douglas Thompson of Newcastle-on-Tyne. In October 1949 Thomas Glyndwr James, third son of Mr. & Mrs. Tom James, married Miss Joan Evans of Ferwig. On 3rd March 1954 Rachel Ann James, wife of Tom James of Clydfan, died aged 60. On 7th April 1973 Tom James died aged 80. The house was made a listed building in 1993. In December 2004 the 3 bedroom property was advertised for sale.

    Description:

    In 1993 the property was described by CADW:

    Circa 1850 detached house in squared brown rubble stone banded in blue with slate roof and stone end stacks. Two storeys, double-fronted with 12-pane sashes and painted slate sills and painted stone voussoirs to cambered heads. Centre C20 door in original timber pilastered doorcase with corniced hood on brackets. Loft light in W end wall…”

    Sources:

    Cardigan & Tivy-Side Advertiser 1940; 1944-46; 1948-49; 1953; 1979

    Blaenywaun Chapel Annual Report 1939; 1944

    Register of St. Dogmaels School

    Buildings of Architectural or Historic Interest – St. Dogmaels, Julian Orbach, CADW 1993 

    The Phone Book 2003

    Sale Particulars – Clydfan, Sterling Properties 2004.

    Monumental Inscriptions, Blaenwaun Chapel cemetery

    © Glen K Johnson 20/06/2013.

    About

    Leave a Reply

    Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *