The name means ‘Great Wood’. In 1284 Roger de Mortimer was installed here by King Edward I. Roger de Mortimer was kidnapped by Rhys ap Maredudd in 1287, having been among Tibetot’s officers in the war against Rhys ap Maredudd and the Constable of Newcastle Emlyn Castle. Geoffrey Clement, the younger, received a portion of Coedmore after the Welsh had murdered his father. Coedmore was rented out in 1299 and is mentioned in the Minister’s Accounts. A third of the property was held by Nesta, widow of Roger de Mortimer, the rest having been disposed of by their son, Llywelyn, to Hugh de Cressingham. The Crown rented Coedmore to “…diverse men…” in 1303. In 1316 John le Engleys was fined for destruction in Coedmore Forest whilst he was beadle there.
Between 1317 and 1321 Eienon ap Jevan petitioned the King, claiming a right to Coedmore. His Great Grandfather, William ap G[rono?]w, had originally granted Coedmore to Roger de Mortimer of the New House, and the disposal to Hugh de Cressingham was, he argued, unlawful. Another Roger de Mortimer, possibly son to Llewelyn Mortimer by his wife, Angharad, daughter of Meredydd ap Rhys, Prince of Cardigan, had been installed there by this date. The people of Iscoed Ishirwern were paying rent charges for Coedmore amounting to 9s. 1½d. per annum in 1322, when they petitioned King Edward II seeking release from this obligation. Roger Mortimer married Gwenllian, daughter of Einon Fawr of the Wood. Some time after 1335, Joan, daughter of Stephen Langley, Baron of Coedmore (whose father was Sir Robert Langley), married Einon Fychan, Lord of Towyn, Ferwig.
In 1396-1424 Roger Mortimer lived at Coedmore. (The mansion house built at about that time was destroyed by fire about the year 1740 and a new house erected on the site of the old hunting lodge.) In 1413 Roger Mortimer was the collector of a general fine imposed on Cardigan. In 1415 he was a suitor at a Cardigan court. In 1418 he was the Mayor-escheator of Cardigan. In 1421 his son, Owain Mortimer, was the Mayor-escheator of Cardigan. In 1421-54 Owain Mortimer lived here. Upon his death in 1424, Roger Mortimer held Coedmore – half a Knight’s Fee. His son, Owain Mortimer, paid £2.10s. relief.
In 1424-30 Owain Mortimer farmed land in St. Dogmaels’ Marsh (Pentood). Owain Mortimer conducted extensive repairs to the two mills at Cardigan from 1429-32, which he rented as part of the Royal property of Waretrehill, Cardigan. In 1431-32 he bought millstones for his Cardigan mills. He was the Mayor-escheator of Cardigan again that year, a position he held again in 1434 when he conducted further repairs to the Cardigan mills. On 1st October 1439 Owain Mortimer stood surety when the burgesses of Cardigan farmed out the revenue of the town for eight years. He was reeve’s attorney for Iscoed Ishirwern in 1441-42. In 1442, as a burgess of Cardigan, he was Deputy-Constable of Cardigan Castle. On 5th December 1454 Owain Mortimer leased the lordship and manor to William Rede, clerk. Owain Mortimer married Angharad, daughter of Rhys David Thomas of Gwernan, and had a son, Richard Mortimer.
In 1480-1525 Richard Mortimer lived here. In 1480 Richard Mortimer, son of Owain Mortimer, was the Mayor-escheator of Cardigan. He was married to Marged, daughter of Owain ap Rhys ap Llewelyn, and had two sons – James and Evan (a. k. a. John) Mortimer. His daughter, Elizabeth Mortimer, married Thomas John ap Rhydderch of Morfa Bychan – the Sheriff of Cardiganshire in 1544. In 1480 John (or Evan) Mortimer married Ellin, daughter of Griffith Llywelyn of Bwlch y Clawdd, Maenclochog. In 1494 Jasper Tudor gave Richard Mortimer a gift of some properties in Cilgerran, and on 20th July 1499 Maurice ap Madog granted him a tenement in the town of Cardigan. On 18th November 1503 Richard Mortimer granted a burgage with a garden in Cardigan to Isabell verch Gruffydd ap Gwilym ap Dafydd ap Ieuan Lloyd, for life. He acquired a property next to Cardigan Bridge on 8th July 1507. He was probably the Mayor escheator of Cardigan again in 1514.
At Michaelmas 1525 John Mortimer was the Mayor of Cardigan. Before 6th June 1543 Richard Mortimer’s daughter, Saige Mortimer, married James ab Ieuan ap Jankyn, a gentleman of Cardigan. On 25th October 1554 a deed of gift in trust was drawn up between James Mortimer and John ap Rhys ap Rhydderch and Rhys ap Rhys, of Towyn, Ferwig. James Mortimer granted the lordship of Iscoed and Manor of Coedmore in trust for himself and his wife, Elizabeth verch Rhydderch ap Rhys. After their deaths, the property was to revert to John Mortimer, his son, and Eve verch Lewis, daughter of Lewis ap Dafydd ap Meredydd. John Mortimer occupied Castell Cefel and Coedmore in 1564, and leased properties in Cardigan to Edward Powell of Cardigan in 1567.
On 10th June 1574 John Mortimer was paid a bond of £20 to convey a tenement called “Tyr Atha” to Richard ap Richard. In 1576 John Mortimer became the Sheriff of Cardiganshire. Using some artistic license, Saxton’s Map of 1578 shows Coedmore as “Ycoidmortimer”, duplicated by John Speed in 1610. On 30th December 1580 John Mortimer acquired a toft and garden by a place called Pen y Quarrell and a close called Muldan Park in Cardigan. On 10th January 1582 John Mortimer received a £100 bond from Howell Gruffydd Lloid and Gruffith Lloid ap Reis David Llywelyn for their peaceable possession of Cilbronnau, Llangoedmor and Llwynadda. In 1584 David Mortimer, a younger son of Thomas Mortimer, lived at Castle Malgwyn, Manordeifi. This David Mortimer had a son, also Thomas Mortimer, who died in 1613, and Thomas Mortimer’s son, Edmund Mortimer, later moved to Cilfowyr. On 10th March 1585 John Mortimer granted a Tanhouse and other properties in Cardigan to John Nicholas, gent.
On 20th July 1587 reference was made to John Mortimer and his son, Richard Mortimer, who had just married Katherin, daughter of Rowland Meyrick, Bishop of Bangor. Richard and Katherin Mortimer later had sons – George and Rowland Mortimer. Richard Mortimer was the Mayor of Cardigan in 1602. George Mortimer died in 1609, Rowland Mortimer, his brother, survived him. In 1614 reference was made to Hugh Bowen of Coedmore. In 1617 Rowland Mortimer conveyed Coedmore ycha and Coedmore yssa with water corn grist mill and all estates pertaining thereto, to Sir John Lews of Abernantbychan. Alternatively, Richard Mortimer may have sold Coedmore to John Lewis. John Lewis’ sister, Sisli, daughter of James Lewis, had married Rowland Mortimer on 20th March 1617.
In 1617-56 Sir John Lewis owned and occupied Coedmore. In 1620 Sir John Lewis leased Watrehill, Cardigan, and other properties to the Bradshaw family of St. Dogmaels Abbey. In 1621 the King’s Forester for Coedmore was a servant of William Bradshaw of St. Dogmaels Abbey who owed money to John Welshe, merchant of Cardigan. The King’s Forester petitioned the Court of the Exchequer regarding the felling of timber and clearance of woodland in the Forest of Coedmore. In their enthusiasm for growing corn, local people were alleged to have caused damage to the value of £3000 and to have threatened to cut off the arms and legs of the King’s Forester. Although the court took the view that the petitioner had overstated his case, and that the forest encroachment had been limited to the collection of scrubwood for domestic fires, much time and effort was spent in investigating the case.
In 1625 and 1628 Sir John Lewis leased out properties in Cardigan town. He was married to Bridget, daughter of Sir Richard Pryse of Gogerddan. His daughter, Lettice Lewis, married David Parry of Noyadd Trefawr. His second daughter married George Owen of Henllys, Pembrokeshire. In 1633-68 James Lewis the elder lived here. In 1633, by Letters Patent, James Lewis enjoyed the right of tolls of the fair of Cardigan taking place on the Feast of the Holy Trinity. On the 9th September 1633 Sir John Lewis mortgaged some property in Llangoedmor to James David of Blaenporth. On 9th October 1633 Sir John Lewis was assigned “…the towns, hamlets, lands etc. of Cardigan and Aberystwyth with the site of the castle of Cardigan, the tolls of the said towns and their appurtenances…” by Richard Steele of Newtown, Valentine Oldis of London and Thomas Herbert of Bridgewater. On 11th October 1633 he leased out most of these lands and privileges. Sir John Lewis was the Sheriff of Cardiganshire in 1634.
In 1641 James Lewis was the Sheriff of Pembrokeshire. On 13th October 1641 a marriage settlement between James Lewis and his second wife, Mary, included “…the lordship or manor of Koidmore…”, the agreement being between Sir John Lewis and James Lewis on the one part, and John Wogan the younger of Wiston and George Lewis of Cardigan, gent, on the other. Later that year, on 9th November 1641, Sir John Lewis leased Coedmore to his son, James Lewis, for 4 years, including all the demesnes. Circa 1642 John Lewis of Coedmore married Lettice, daughter of Rhys Lloyd of Bronwydd. In 1645 James Lewis was the Sheriff of Cardiganshire. In December 1645 Col. James Lewis captured Newcastle Emlyn Castle – the last to be recovered from the Royalists. In 1646 reference was made to George Lewis of Coedmore.
In 1653-69 James Lewis the younger lived here. On 9th May 1653 Sir John Lewis, James Lewis and James Lewis jnr. were all nominated to be members of the first CardiganBorough Council, and took their seats accordingly. James Lewis became the Mayor of Cardigan later in the year. On 23rd April 1655 in his capacity of Lord of the Manor, James Lewis officiated at a wedding. James Lewis inherited upon the death of Sir John Lewis in 1656, but heavy debts later led to the seizure of half his estates. He married, firstly, a daughter and heiress of Lewis Lloyd of Abermad, Llanychaearn, and, secondly, Mary – widow of David Lloyd of Cilciffeth – a daughter of John Wogan of Wiston. They had a daughter, Jane Lewis, and a son – James Lewis. In 1659 Catherine Lewis, wife of Col. James Lewis junior, a daughter of Colonel Sir Richard Harrison of Hurst, Berkshire, died. They had a son – John Lewis. James Lewis later took a second wife – Ann Rudd. In 1661 James Lewis was described as:
“…a person of an inoffensive facile constitution, forced from a royalist to act as a Colonel for King, and Parliament, seldome out of publique offices, though averse to undertake any, loved more for doing no wrong, than for doing of any good…”
In 1664 James Lewis jnr. became the Sheriff of Cardiganshire. He was the son of James Lewis by a daughter of John Wogan of Wiston. He later became a Colonel in King James’ army, and had a son named John Lewis. James Lewis the elder died in 1668. Colonel James Lewis died in 1669, just a year after his father. His will, dated 27th April 1669, refers to his wife Ann Lewis and his son and heir, John Lewis. His servants John Llewellin and James Cook were also mentioned.
On 1st April 1685 John Lewis of Coedmore became the M. P. for Cardiganshire. On 28th September 1689 John Lewis became financially embarrassed and mortgaged the estate for £400. By 25th June 1691 John Lewis had acquired Forest, Cilgerran, and leased it for a year from that date to Sir William Wogan. On 11th December 1693 John Lewis became M. P. for the Borough of Cardigan. In 1694 he had a farm building and a gazebo erected here. Thomas Lloyd, nephew to Walter Lloyd and later heir of Coedmore, was born about the year 1696. In 1700 John Lewis sold Coedmore to Nicholas or Nathaniel Wade of Bristol.
In 1700-14 Nathaniel Wade owned Coedmore. Nathaniel Wade contributed £6.10s.6d. towards the rebuilding of St. Mary’s Church, Cardigan in 1702-3. On 26th March 1705 Nathaniel Wade of Bristol and Samuel Davies of Coedmore leased properties in Cardigan town to John Picton of Cardigan. On 29th September 1714 Nathaniel Wade of Bristol sold Coedmore to Walter Lloyd of the Priory, Cardigan. Nathaniel Wade retained the iron forge on the estate.
After February 1672 Captain Thomas Lloyd of Cilgwyn had married Jane Lewis, daughter of John Lewis of Coedmore. The estate later passed to their son, John Lloyd, Walter Lloyd being a younger son. On 1st October 1714 Walter Lloyd re-mortgaged Coedmore to Nathaniel Wade of Bristol. In 1714-22 Walter Lloyd lived here. In 1714 Walter Lloyd became the Mayor of Cardigan, and again in 1718-19 and 1720-22. On 8th April 1720 Anne Wade, widow of Nathaniel Wade, transferred the mortgage to John Lloyd of Cilgwyn, so that Coedmore remained with the Lloyd family. Walter Lloyd was the Sheriff of Cardiganshire in 1722, before his unexpected death on 24th October that year. He was married to Mary, daughter of Dr. Bevan of Carmarthen, but died without issue. He was buried at Llangoedmor Church. Thomas Lloyd, his nephew, second son of his brother, John Lloyd, late of Cilgwyn, inherited the estate.
In 1722-37 Thomas Lloyd lived here. In 1723 Thomas Lloyd became the Mayor of Cardigan. In 1725 he married Mary Howell, daughter of Morgan Howell of Gwernmaccwy, and in 1726 they had a son and heir, Walter Lloyd. In 1726-87 Walter Lloyd lived here. Mary Lloyd, widow of Walter Lloyd, died in 1729. Thomas Lloyd became the Mayor of Cardigan again for 1729-30. On 8th January 1736 Thomas Lloyd wrote his will. He referred to his wife Mary Lloyd; his eldest son Walter Lloyd; second son John Lloyd; sons James and William Lloyd; and his brother John Lloyd of Cilgwyn. On 12th April 1737 Thomas Lloyd died aged 41. He left a widow, Mary Lloyd (who later married John Lloyd, brother to Thomas Lloyd of Bronwydd), and five children. Walter Lloyd was his heir, aged eleven; John Lloyd, his second son, later lived in Cardigan; James and William Lloyd both died before reaching 16 years of age; and his daughter, Jane Lloyd, remained in Cardigan and never married. The old mansion was destroyed by fire c1740 and a replacement was built on the site of the old hunting lodge.
In 1748 Walter Lloyd of Coedmore gave £2.2s. towards the rebuilding of the tower of St. Mary’s Church, Cardigan. In 1751 Walter Lloyd became the Mayor of Cardigan. In 1751 he purchased Llechryd Forge from John Symmons of Llanstinan. In April 1752 he was one of the local Justices who discussed the possibility of building a new House of Correction for Cardigan. In 1759 Walter Lloyd married Anna Posthuma Thomas, younger daughter and heiress of William Thomas of Pentowyn, who had died in 1740 before his daughter’s birth.
In 1760 John Lloyd ended his year of office as Mayor of Cardigan, whilst his brother, Walter Lloyd, was the Sheriff of Cardiganshire. Thomas Lloyd, son and heir to Walter & Anna Posthuas Lloyd, was born that year and was baptised at St. Mary’s Church, Cardigan, on 16th September 1760. In 1760-1810 Thomas Lloyd lived here. In 1761 John Lloyd became the Mayor of Cardigan again. In 1762 John Lloyd set up a fund towards the building of a new Shire Hall for Cardigan. Also in 1762, twin daughters named Anna Maria Lloyd and Elizabeth Llooyd, were born to Walter & Anna Posthuma Lloyd.
In 1763 John Lloyd became the Mayor of Cardigan for a third time. In that capacity, he opened the new Cardigan Shire Hall in 1764. He held the position again for 1765-66. He was succeeded in that office by Walter Lloyd, who was Mayor for 1766-67. In 1770 Walter Lloyd formed a partnership with William Dermer, James Walker and Griffith Howell to run Penygored Tinplate Works, Cilgerran. He became the Mayor of Cardigan again in 1770. Griffith Howell pledged his share in the Penygored Tinplate Works to Walter Lloyd on 25th March 1771.
In 1772 Walter Lloyd negotiated the building of a canal to serve the tinplate works at Penygored, Cilgerran. He became the Mayor of Cardigan again that year. A divorce case began in 1775 here. Walter Lloyd became the Mayor of Cardigan yet again in 1776. On 28th October 1776 John Davies, servant to Walter Lloyd of Coedmore, became a burgess of Cardigan. In 1777 Mary Lloyd of Coedmore married John Griffiths, later of Blaenwenen, Llangoedmor. In 1778 Walter Lloyd sold his interest in the Penygored Tinplate Works. In 1779 the Lloyd divorce case ended. On 12th October 1779 Walter Lloyd leased properties at Llechryd to Silvanus Nugent. In 1780 Jane Lloyd, spinster, daughter of the late Thomas Lloyd of Coedmore, lived in Cardigan.In 1781 Walter Lloyd became the Mayor of Cardigan. On 29th July 1782 Thomas Lloyd of Coedmore was a burgess of Cardigan. Reference was made in 1783 to Easter Lloyd, youngest daughter of Walter Lloyd. Walter Lloyd died circa 1787. His widow, Anna Posthuma Lloyd, married Joseph Mills (d.1805) in 1789.
In 1790 Thomas Lloyd acquired Fforest at Cilgerran for £3000 from John Symmons. Thomas Lloyd married Elizabeth in 1790. He also purchased:
“…All that yearly rent of £2.10s.1 ½ d. to his Majesty for and in respect of certain rents of Assize in Iscoyd Isherwin in the County of Cardigan with the fishery of Tyvye…”
On 2nd May 1792 Sophia Lloyd, daughter of Thomas Lloyd, was born. She later went on to live at Bridell. On 16th May 1792 Thomas Lloyd sold the timber at Forest, Cilgerran for £1500 to Sir Benjamin Hammett, Alexander Raby & Thomas Cox of the Penygored Tinplate Works. On 1st November 1793 Thomas Lloyd, heir to Coedmore, son of Thomas & Elizabeth Lloyd, was born. In 1793-1857 Thomas Lloyd the younger lived here. In 1797 Thomas Lloyd Snr. became the Mayor of Cardigan. On 19th February 1797 his daughter, Anna Lloyd, was born. In later life she moved to Gloucester. In 1798 the older Thomas Lloyd became the Sheriff of Cardiganshire. He had two sons – Thomas and Oliver Lloyd (born 16th July 1801). He inherited one third of Cilgwyn from his kinsman, Captain Thomas Lloyd, in 1801. He became the Mayor of Cardigan again in 1802. In 1807 Thomas Lloyd was still a member of Cardigan Borough Council, and on 18th February 1807 Francis Edmund Lloyd, his fourth son and youngest child, was born (he later died at sea). On 21st September 1810 Thomas Lloyd Snr. died aged 51. He left a widow – Elizabeth Lloyd – fourth daughter of Edmund Probyn of Newland, Gloucestershire. In 1811 Elizabeth Lloyd, daughter of Walter Lloyd, married Rev. John Williams of Tirllwyd, Llangoedmor. They later moved from the area. On 22nd July 1814 Anna Posthuma Mills, widow of Walter Lloyd and Joseph Mills, died.
In 1816 Thomas Lloyd of Coedmore became the Sheriff of Cardiganshire at the age of 23. Nicholson’s 1816 guide described Coedmore mansion as “…unremarkable…” In 1818 Thomas Lloyd became the Mayor of Cardigan. In 1819 Thomas Lloyd rented Fforest and the associated quarries at Cilgerran, to John Edwards. The Coedmore rent roll shows a nil return for “…2 slate quarries…” at Rosehill, but a letter from Thomas Lloyd that year stated that he was “…considering letting out two quarries on Rosehill Farm…”, which he had done by 1820. On 23rd March 1819 he married Charlotte Longcroft, then aged 20, and on 27th May 1819 the lease of Llechryd Mill was surrendered to him.
On 12th April 1820 Thomas Edward Lloyd was born, the son and heir of Thomas & Charlotte Lloyd. In 1820-1909 Thomas Edward Lloyd lived here. From 1820-25 Thomas Lloyd leased two quarries at Rosehill Farm for £8 per annum to Mr. J. Evans. In 1820 Walter Lloyd, his brother, was drowned in Cardigan Bay when a squall sank the boat he was travelling in. On 4th December 1820 Sophia & Anna Lloyd, spinsters, and Oliver Lloyd, were all living at Coedmore House, St. Mary Street, Cardigan. Thomas Lloyd became the Mayor of Cardigan again in 1822, and his second son, Edmund Lloyd, later an Aberaeron solicitor, was born on 29th January 1822. On 7th December 1823 Walter Lloyd, third son of Thomas & Charlotte Lloyd, was born.
In 1824 Elizabeth Lloyd, widow of Thomas Lloyd, the elder, lived at Plas-y-Bridell, Bridell. On 9th June 1825 Charles Oliver Lloyd, the youngest son of Thomas & Charlotte Lloyd, was born. In 1825 Thomas Lloyd challenged David Powell Lucas of Cardigan to a 30-mile race across the Preseli hills and won. On 1st June 1826 Thomas Lloyd Esq. brought a prosecution against John Bowen of Cilgerran for blocking part of the river Teifi with several hundred cartloads of rubbish etc, hindering trade and navigation. In 1827 Thomas Lloyd negotiated a new lease of Forest, Cilgerran. In 1828 Oliver Lloyd married Anna Maria, daughter and heiress of Capt. James Richard Lewis Lloyd of Dolhaidd, where they took up residence. They had two daughters – Maria Lloyd, who in 1851 married Thomas Elliot and lived at Dolhaidd, and Emmeline Lloyd, born on 7th January 1830, who later married William Owen Brigstocke. Anna Maria Lloyd died in 1830 and Oliver Lloyd died in London in 1840. Charles Oliver Lloyd died in 1840 whilst serving on H. M. S. Daphne. He fell from aloft and was killed. His body was buried at Smyrna. The house was described by Samuel Lewis in 1833:
“…Coedmore is a noble residence, situated on a lofty eminence overlooking the river Teivy, commanding a fine view of the venerable remains of Kîlgerran Castle, and sheltered in the rear and on the sides by an extensive wood of stately and well-grown trees: contiguous to this seat formerly stood Castell Cevel, the ancient mansion of the lords of Coedmore. The name of the house, once written Coed-Mawr, signifies “the great wood,” and was probably bestowed on it from the luxuriant forest in which it was built. The baronage of Coed-Mawr was conferred by Edward III. on Sir Robert Langley, constable of Aberystwith Castle, and lieutenant of the county of Cardigan, from whose family it passed by exchange to the Mortimers, of whom Llewelyn Mortimer, the first of that name who owned the estate, espoused Angharad, daughter of Meredydd ab Rhŷs, Prince of Cardigan. Rowland, the sixth in descent from Llewelyn Mortimer, assigned it to his brother-in-law, Sir John Lewis, in exchange for Castell Llwyd, in Laugharne, county of Carmarthen; and it subsequently came into the possession of the Lloyds, by marriage of an ancestor of the present proprietor with Jane, daughter of Col. James Lewis, a gentleman who was rather actively engaged during the civil commotions of the seventeenth century…”
In 1836 Thomas Lloyd took action against his tenant, John Edwards of Forest, Cilgerran, and bought out his quarry operations there. Thomas Lloyd set up “Coedmore Slate & Flag Quarries” with his brother, Oliver Lloyd (then Mayor of Cardigan), to run the workings there, exporting his products on his smack, “Ruby”. In 1836-39 Thomas Lloyd owned shares in the Cardigan ship ‘Mary’, 55 tons. In March 1837 William Edwards, a servant here, died aged 25.
In 1839 Elizabeth Lloyd, widow of Thomas Lloyd Snr., lived in Cardigan. In 1840 Thomas Lloyd was sole owner of the Cardigan ship ‘Ruby’, 21 tons. In 1840 Thomas Lloyd’s slate quarries at Forest, Cilgerran, proved lucrative, but closed in 1843. In 1841 Coedmore was occupied by: Thomas Lloyd, 45, Charlotte Lloyd, 40, his wife; with nine servants – John Rogers, 45; David Owens, 30; Samuel Thomas, 15; William Jenkins, 15; Anne Griffiths, 25; Anne Davies, 25; Mary Davies, 15; Ann Evans, 25; and Sarah Harries, 20. Thomas Edward Lloyd became a barrister in 1844. Herbert Milingchamp Vaughan remarked of Thomas Lloyd that:
“…Mr Lloyd was notorious in a free-and-easy age and society for the number of his bastards, several of whom, when they grew up, served their father in a domestic capacity at Coedmore. He is said once to have shocked a rather particular judge at the Assizes by playfully pointing out to him that the coachman who was driving him and the footman in attendance were some of these illegitimate hopefuls. He was, however, reckoned generous towards a succession of mistresses, for he granted them all small farms or holdings on the Coedmore estate on long leases at low or nominal rents. His own sons born in wedlock did not fare so well. In order to be spared the trouble and expense of keeping and educating them, the three young Lloyds were put out to walk, like foxhound puppies, on the outlying farms, and it was only after much entreaty from a neighbour that the eldest son and heir was at last sent to school at Rugby and later was allowed to read for the Bar…”
On 27th April 1850 Thomas Edward Lloyd married Clemena Frances Philliott, second daughter to the Rev. David Daniel of Jesus College, Oxford. On 25th October 1850 the ‘Pembrokeshire Herald‘ reported the following court case:
“…Ann Griffiths, William Thomas, and Hannah Thomas. his wife, were indicted for having on the 16th of September last, at the parish of Llechryd, stolen a ham of the value of 5s., a piece of pork, 5 lbs. of uncooked beef, cooked beef, veal, some bread, cheese, and a towel, the property of Thomas Lloyd, Esq., of Coedmore. A second count charged Wm. Thomas, and his wife, as receivers of the stolen property, knowing it to have been stolen. The prisoners, who were very respectably attired, pleaded not guilty. Mr. Vaughan appeared as advocate for the prosecution. while the prisoners were defended by Mr. Lascelles, at whose request all the witnesses were ordered out of court. The jury consulted for a few moments, and then returned a verdict, that Ann Griffiths was guilty of stealing. and William Thomas and Hannah his wife were guilty of receiving the various articles, knowing them to have been stolen. The Chairman in passing sentence, said:—” Ann Griffiths, the jury have found you guilty, most properly, I think, by the evidence. It has been urged in your favour that you have been no less than twenty years in Mr. Lloyd’s service. That in my estimation is an aggravation of your offence, as you have most grossly abused the confidence reposed in you. The court, however, will take into consideration a memorial which has been forwarded from the inhabitants of the town of Cardigan, and will pass a lighter sentence in deference to their wishes. I should say, perhaps, that every person bears a good character until his crime is detected, and I very much fear that you have been carrying on this system of plunder for a very long time. You, William Thomas and Hannah Thomas have been found guilty of receiving the stolen articles. Your offence is not morally so great as Ann Griffiths’s, but I am very much afraid that your punishment will not be proportionate to your deserts. The sentence of the court is that Ann Griffiths be confined in prison for six calendar months, and William and Hannah Thomas for three calendar months. All the sentences to be accompanied with hard labour.” Attorney for the prosecution. Mr. R. D. Jenkins, of Cardigan…”
In 1851 the following persons lived here: Thomas Lloyd, 59, landed proprietor; Charlotte Lloyd, 52, his wife; servants – Mary James, 28; Margaret Rees, 24; Mary Phillips, 51; Fanny Evans, 30; Mary Evans, 24; ? ?, 31; David Phillips, 11; James Owens, 50; and David Llewelyn, 23. In 1852 Elizabeth Lloyd, widow of Thomas Lloyd the elder, died in Richmond in her 83rd year. In 1854 Thomas Lloyd became Lord Lieutenant of Cardiganshire. On 10th April 1856 Edith Lloyd was born – the only child of Thomas Edward Lloyd. On 12th July 1857 Thomas Lloyd of Coedmore died aged 63. On 25th July 1857 the following appeared in the ‘Cardiff & Merthyr Guardian‘:
“…DEATH OF THOMAS LLOYD, ESQ., LORD LIEUTENANT FOR CARDlGANSHIRE. The demise of this estimable gentleman took place at his family seat, Coedmore, near Cardigan, on Sunday night. The deceased had been a great invalid for some years, and for many months had been gradually declining, therefore his death was of no surprise to bis family. Mr. Lloyd was high1y esteemed in his neighbourhood as a magistrate and landlord, and his loss will be much felt by a large circle of friends and acquaintances, to whom he hail become endeared through his many excellent qualities. His death occasions a vacancy in the Lord Lieutenancy of County of Cardigan…”
In August 1859 a stone ball and an iron cannon ball, both from Coedmore, were displayed at Cardigan. Some alterations to the mansion were conducted in 1860. In 1861 Charlotte Lloyd, 62, lived here with nine servants – Benjamin Phillips, 30, butler; Thomas Thomas, 23, footman; David Davies, 32, coachman; David Owen, 60, groom; Anne Scrivener, 34, cook; Mary Davies, 35, lady’s maid; Margaret Rees, 31, house maid; Hannah Lewis, 22, kitchen maid; and Catherine Davies, 30, dairy maid.. On 5th May 1866 Charlotte Lloyd, widow of Thomas Lloyd of Coedmore, died aged 67. The last Leet Court of the Lord of the Manor of Coedmore was held in 1866. In 1867 the façade of the house was altered and extensions were added – including the tower containing the library. In 1871 the following persons lived here: Thomas Edward Lloyd, 51, practising barrister, magistrate and landowner; Clemena Francis Lloyd, 45, his wife; Edith Lloyd, 14, their daughter; Margaret Rees, 41, house servant; Benjamin Phillips, 51, coachman; Elizabeth Evans, 24, cook; Mary Davies, 49, waiting maid; Elizabeth Davies, 34, dairy maid; and Francis Thomas, 18, scholar, visitor. In 1873 Thomas Edward Lloyd had a 4,500 acre estate. On 13th February 1874 Thomas Edward Lloyd became the M. P. for Cardiganshire. Herbert Millingchamp Vaughan described Thomas Edward Lloyd as:
“…of a retiring nature, but capable and cultivated, being a good performer on the ‘cello and a classical scholar – in strong contrast with his late father…”
Thomas Edward Lloyd negotiated new quarry leases for Forest, Cilgerran, in 1878. Benjamin Phillips of Coedmore complained to Thomas Edward Lloyd about the drunken, abusive and violent behaviour of servant David Rees, whom he vowed not to re-employ. Walter Lloyd, brother to Thomas Edward Lloyd, died in 1879. His son, Lewis Howard Lloyd, was later to inherit the estate. In 1880 Thomas Edward Lloyd ceased to be the M. P. for Cardiganshire. Clemena Frances Lloyd, wife of Thomas Edward Lloyd, died in London on 30th March 1882, aged 57. In September 1882 there was a sale of livestock and implements from Coedmore Farm. By April 1885 Thomas Edward Lloyd was a Guardian of the Poor. On 27th August 1885 Thomas Edward Lloyd married Eliza Mary Bennett, daughter of the Rev. George Bennett, Rector of Bede, Suffolk. By 1886 Thomas Edward Lloyd was a personal friend of Benjamin Disraeli. In 1891 the following persons lived here: Mary Davies, 69, housekeeper; James Thomas, 35, coachman; Elizabeth Davies, 20, servant; and Mary Jenkins, 16, kitchen maid. In 1892 the library here was said to contain 535 books. On 25th December 1895 Edith Lloyd of Coedmore, 39, daughter of Thomas Edward Lloyd, then residing at the ‘Angel Hotel’ in Cardigan, married Herbert C. Coghlan-Ward, 28, a gentleman of Kensington.
In 1898 Albert Coghlan died. He had formerly been employed as a groom here by Thomas Edward Lloyd. In 1898 Thomas Edward Lloyd, J. P., was resident along with staff, including Miss Mary Owens, Miss Mary Ellen Jones, Miss Elizabeth Jenkins and Miss E. Edwards. In 1901 Elizabeth Jenkins worked here. In 1901 the following persons lived here: Thomas Edward Lloyd, 80, retired barrister (b. Llechryd, English-speaking); Elizabeth Mary Lloyd, 44, his wife (b. St. Helen’s, English-speaking); Mary Davies, 78, house-keeper (b. Llechryd); Mary Ellen Jones, 24, cook (b. Llanfihangel); Elizabeth A. James, 26, parlour maid (b. Llechryd); Eleanor Jenkins, 18, house maid (b. Llechryd); Mary Owen, 41, kitchen maid (b. Llandygwydd); Hannah Davies, 31, dairy maid (b. Moylegrove, Welsh-speaking); and James Thomas, 47, coachman (b. Llandygwydd). Except where noted otherwise, the household was bilingual. In 1902 Thomas Edward Lloyd was resident, plus staff – Miss Mary Ellen Jones, Miss Mary Owens and Miss Eleanor Jenkins. On 23rd February 1908 Edith Coughlan, widow of Albert Coughlan (who was once a groom here for T. E. Lloyd) and daughter of Thomas Edward Lloyd, died aged 52 without issue. On 23rd September 1909 Thomas Edward Lloyd of Coedmore died aged 89. Coedmore passed to his nephew, Lewis Howard Lloyd, son of Walter Lloyd and Marian Fanny Lloyd nee’ Grice. On 30th September 1909 the following appeared in the ‘Aberystwyth Observer‘:
“…DEATH OF FORMER MEMBER OF THE COUNTY. On Thursday at Coedmore, near Cardigan,. the death took place of Mr Thomas Edward Lloyd, formerly M.P. for Cardiganshire. The deceased gentleman had enjoyed good health during his life, having passed his 89th year.. He was very energetic, and, in fact, was busy in the garden when he suffered a seizure, during which he expired. Mr Lloyd was a benevolent landlord, and will be greatly missed by his large number of tenants. It is understood that a nephew of Mr Lloyd, Colonel Lloyd, will succeed to the estates. The deceased gentleman was the eldest son of Mr Thomas Lloyd, of Coedmore, Lord-Lieutenant of Cardiganshire, who died in 1857. Mr T E Lloyd was born in 1820, and educated at Rugby, and studied law at the Middle Temple,. being called to the Bar in 1844. He was twice married-firstly, in 1850, to Colemena Frances Phillot, second daughter of the Rev David Daniel, who died in 1882; and secondly in 1886, to Eliza Mary, daughter of the Rev George Bennett, rector of Rede, Suffolk. The’ deceased was J.P. for the counties of Cardigan and Carmarthen, and was a direct descendant of Griffith ap Grono, Prince of Ferlys. Mr Lloyd, who was a Conservative in politics, was elected member of Parliament for Cardiganshire in 1874, the first election that took place after the passing of the Ballot Act. The election of a Conservative for Radical Cardiganshire came as a great surprise, and great excitement prevailed when the poll was declared on the 12th of February, showing that Mr T E Lloyd had defeated Mr E W Richards by 215 votes. On Monday evening the remains of Mr T. Lloyd, J.P., Coedmore, Cardiganshire, ex-M.P. for the county, were removed from Coedmore to Cilgerran Station, and thence to London for cremation, according to the expressed wish of the deceased gentleman. A short service was conducted at the house by the Rev L. Morris, curate of Llangoedmore parish, and the Rev. Ambrose Jones, rector of Manordivy, after which the cortege started for Cilgerran, with the servants and a great number of the tenants of the estate as mourners…”
In 1909-30 Lewis Howard Lloyd owned Coedmore. On 27th December 1910 a daughter was born to Mr. & Mrs. Lewis Howard Lloyd. On 2nd February 1913 Edward Howard Lloyd, son and heir of Lewis Howard Lloyd, was born. On 14th October 1916 the stables and outbuildings were gutted by fire. The house was saved through the efforts of the local coracle-men, who were rewarded with £40 from a grateful Lewis Howard Lloyd. Lewis Howard Lloyd died at Durban on 10th January 1930, aged 65. His 17-year-old son, Edward Howard Lloyd, inherited Coedmore.
In 1930-66 Edward Howard Lloyd owned Coedmore. On 2nd February 1934 there were coming-of-age celebrations for Edward Howard Lloyd held at the Guildhall, Cardigan. On 17th April 1934 Edward Howard Lloyd married Miss Ella Ninon Marjorie Phillips of Cheletenham, daughter of J. H. Phillips of Newport, Monmouthshire. Reference was made to the groom’s sisters – Helen and Gloria Lloyd. On 15th May 1940 David Mortimer Lloyd was born – son of Edward Howard Lloyd and heir to Coedmore. On 30th December 1947 Mrs. Eliza Mary Lloyd, widow of Thomas Edward Lloyd, died aged 90. Edward Howard Lloyd then came to Coedmore to live.
In 1948 Mr. E. H. Lloyd was the President of Cardigan Agricultural Show. In 1949 Edward Howard Lloyd became a Cardiganshire County Councillor. In January 1950 he shot the first locally-reported grey squirrel. On 16th October 1961 Mrs. Gladys Lloyd, widow of the late Lewis Howard Lloyd, died at Durban. Edward Howard Lloyd died on 4th December 1966, aged 53. His son, Edward David Mortimer Lloyd (b15/05/1940), inherited the estate. David Mortimer Lloyd had two younger brothers – Dudley Walter Lloyd of Hafodwen, Llechryd, and Thomas Howard Lewis Lloyd of St. Dogmaels. There was also a sister – Pamela Mary Lloyd, who married a Mr. Smith of the U. S. A.. Dudley Walter Lloyd died unmarried in December 1971. In 1983 David Mortimer Lloyd was the owner. In 1984 Coedmore Mansion was sold to Albert Groth, who had already bought Fforest, Cilgerran.
By 22nd June 1990 Albert Groth advertised Coedmore Mansion for sale – the house having been converted into ten living units. Coedmore Mansion was made a listed building in 1994. In September 1997 the West Wing was advertised for sale as a 3 bedroom residence. In May 1999 the ‘Hunting Lodge’ – a 2 bedroom section, was advertised for sale. In July 2002 the ‘Hunting Lodge’ section was advertised for sale again. Units were advertised for sale here in September 2004 – No. 10; May 2005 – No. 4; November 2005 – No. 3; and No. 3 again in October 2007.
It was described by CADW in 1994:
“…EXTERIOR – C19 country house in late Georgian style built for Lloyd family originally of Cilgwyn who inherited the estate by marriage in early C18. Stucco, stone outbuildings, slate roofs. Two storeys generally. House has hipped roofs and bracketed eaves, 3-bay NW front with rendered end stacks and bow-centred SW river front, altered c1860 when NE entrance front was made. NW front has centre door and large windows in architraves with cornices possibly added c1860. SW front has no architraves, centre three-window bow and one window range each side, blank to left, sash and door with tall overlight to right. All windows plastic. To right is tall later C19 colourwashed octagonal tower, three-storey with battered plinth, three long sashes to main floors, shorter to top floor, under octagonal slate roof, in two pitches, the upper one a short spire. NE entrance front, 4 plus 1 bays, has two roof hips to right, over four window bays with large 12-pane sashes in architraves (plastic windows in two right bays). Left bay has double doors with traceried overlight in stucco surround. C20 flat-roofed porch, old photographs show entrance was previously in third bay. To left, one window range, similar.
SERVICE COURT RANGES – Three-sided, rubble stone or coursed Cilgerran stone. Large two-storey, 5-bay stable backing onto entrance court. Cut-stone voussoirs. Five square 6-pane sashes above, then layer of dove-holes and ground floor long 15-pane sashes with cambered heads in bays 1, 4 and 5. In bays 2 to 3, a C20 inserted door, a large round arched opening with C20 infill and fanlight and a tall arched doorway, now partly a window. To left is 2-storey lean-to against end of main house, and, in angle, a doorway into small rear court. Other two sides are mostly of cut Cilgerran stone. NE facing range has outshut roof with paired centre gables, then SE angle taller square block with pyramid slate roof and timber lantern with ogee dome, then NW facing range with two eaves-breaking dormer gables and end gable with ridge bellcote. Ground floor openings are linked by a continuous string, curving or stepped over openings. Paired gables have hoodmoulded casement pairs. Big angle block has higher eaves, and one-window range. Third range has ground floor doors and 9-pane windows, DWDW, above are two similar windows breaking eaves under bargeboard dormer gables. End bay has similar door, first floor small octagonal window between raised strings, then two sunk dove-shelves below gable with quoins and large circular window (replacing clock) in square flat slate surround. Plain bargeboards. Ridge timber pyramid-roofed bellcote.
RIVER FRONT – Pyramid-roofed range to right, high three-window range, basement and two-storey, 6-pane windows to basement, 12-pane ground floor and 9-pane second floor. Between this and tower is altered lower range under single roof, eight windows above and seven below, some replaced in plastic. There are indications of an earlier lower eaves-line between some upper windows.
INTERIOR – The best detailing is apparently later C19 and contemporary with the tower. Hall altered when front door moved in C20. Curing staircase with turned balusters overflies the stairwell at first floor to reach first floor of tower. The tower has some ornate plaster in ground floor Music Room, marble fireplace in first-floor room and a completely panelled library on top floor with panelled octagonal roof. Room to left of entrance has arched Cilgerran stone kitchen fireplace…”
P. R. O.: Pipe Roll 29, Edw. I, No. E372, 146 in R. O. Catalogue
Carmarthenshire Records Office: Coedmore MSs. incl. MS 1-2, 4, 10, 126, 617 etc.
NLW Bronwydd MSs 1589; 2898
NLW Noyadd Trefawr MSs 422-423
NLW Morgan & Richardson MS 1611
NLW Eaton, Evans & Williams MS 2907
Map of Cardiganshire, Saxton 1578
NLW Minor Deposit 490-9B
Pembrokeshire Record Office – Abstract of Wills 1736
The History & Antiquities of the County of Cardiganshire, Samuel Rush Meyrick 1808
Pigot’s Directory of South Wales 1830
A Topographical Dictionary of Wales, Samuel Lewis 1833
Pembrokeshire Record Office: Port of Cardigan Shipping Registers
Llangoedmor Parish Registers
Census Returns 1841; 1851; 1861; 1871; 1891; 1901
Archaeologia Cambrensis III, Vol V, 1860
Cardigan & Tivy-Side Advertiser 1866; 1874; 1882; 1885; 1896; 1898; 1908-10; 1913; 1916-18; 1924; 1930; 1934-35; 1939-40; 1947-48; 1950; 1961; 1966-67; 1971-72; 1985; 1990; 1997; 1999;
The History of Cilgerran, John Roland Phillips 1867
List of the Sheriffs of Cardiganshire, John Roland Phillips 1868
Post Office Directory 1871
Kelly’s Directory of South Wales 1875; 1926
Dyfed R. O.: D/LL/469
Catalogue – Sale of Livestock & Implements, Coedmore Farm, September 1882
Poster – List of the Board of Guardians, Cardigan Union 28/04/1885
Parish Registers of St. Mary’s, Cardigan
A Guide to Cardigan & District, W. E. Yerward James 1899
Report – Llechryd Auxiliary Bible Society 1899; 1901; 1902
Historical Society of West Wales Transactions Vol. 1, 1911
Ministers Accounts For West Wales 1277-1306, Myfanwy Rhys 1936
Post Office Telephone Directory 1950
Ceredigion 1969; 1976
A Guide to Llechryd, D. W. Lloyd 1971
The Principality of Wales in the Later Middle Ages, Ralph A. Griffiths 1972
Castell Cevel by the River Teify, D. W. Lloyd c1972
A Calendar of Ancient Petitions Relating to Wales, William Rees 1975
The Teifi: Scenery & Antiquities of a Welsh River, Richard J. Colyer 1987
Houses of the Welsh Countryside, Peter Smith 1988
Gyrfa Canrif a Hanner Achos y Bedyddwyr Ym Mlaenwenen 1838-1988, J. B. Harries, 1988
Those Were The Days Vol. II, Donald Davies 1992
Buildings of Architectural or Historic Interest – Llangoedmor, Julian Orbach 1993
Conquerors & Conquered in Medieval Wales, R. A. Griffiths 1994
Tom Mathias, John Williams-Davies 1995
The Slate Quarries of Pembrokeshire, Alun John Richards 1998
Princelings, Privilege & Power, Leslie Baker-Jones 1999
Historic Houses of Cardiganshire & Their Families, Frances Jones 2000
Sales Particulars – Coedmore, John Francis 2002; 2004; 2005
The Phone Book 2003
Cardigan County Agricultural Show, Islwyn & Betty Griffiths 2004
Prime Objects of Civilization: The Mortimers of West Wales, Barbara Wright 2005
Sale Particulars – Coedmore, Fred Rees 2005.
(c) Glen K Johnson 24/06/2013