A building on this site is marked on the 1838 tithe map. Captain John Davies lived here in the mid 19th Century, but died young. In 1861-81 Mrs. Mary Davies lived here. In 1861 the following persons lived here: Mary Davies, 56, lodging house keeper; John Davies, 21, her son, mariner; Elizabeth Morgan, 58, boarder; Elizabeth Morgan, 38, boarder’s daughter; and George Richards, 5, boarder. In 1871 the following persons lived here: Mary Davies, 64, widow; Elizabeth Morgans, 67, widow, lodger; and Elizabeth Morgans, 35, daughter. On 20th July 1872 Elizabeth Morgans of Commercial House, died aged 68. In 1876 it may have been Captain John Davies of Commercial House who owned the ‘Agenoria’ – an 84-ton vessel. In 1881 the following persons lived here: Mary Davies, 73, widow, house keeping; and Elizabeth Morgans, 35, niece, domestic servant. On December 15th 1882 Ann Davies of Commercial House was buried at St. Dogmaels having died aged 38.
John Davies lived here in 1889-1903. In 1891 Captain John Davies, 51, retired master mariner, lived here with his cousin, Elizabeth Morgans, 61, housekeeper. Both were born in the parish. In 1901 the following persons lived here: John Davies, 61, retired master mariner; Hannah Davies, 58, his wife; and Elizabeth Morgans, 71, cousin. All were bilingual and born in the parish. On 24th October 1903 Captain John Davies of Commercial House died aged 64. In 1904 Mrs. Davies and Master Benjamin H. Herod lived here. On 16th February 1905 Mrs. Hannah Davies, widow of Captain John Davies, died here aged 62.
On 26th April 1906 Mrs. Herod of Commercial gave birth to a son. On 6th March 1911 Henry Davies Herod of Commercial House died aged 6. On 8th November 1911 Elizabeth Morgan of Commercial House died. In 1914 William Henry Herod lived here (he died at his new home in Newport, Monmouthshire, in 1928). On 27th October 1914 a clearance sale was held here for Mr. H. Herod. In October 1919 Commercial House was advertised for sale.
On 25th October 1919 it was sold to Captain John Rogers of Arosfa. In 1925-40 Captain John Rogers and his wife Polly Rogers lived here with Tegwen Rogers and John R. Rogers. On 25th August 1940 Captain John Rogers died aged 61, leaving a wife, son and daughter. In 1944 Polly, Tegwen and John R. Rogers lived here. In March 1945 Richard Rogers of Commercial House was home on leave from the forces. On 6th August 1953 Polly Ann Rogers of Commercial House, widow of the late Captain John Rogers, died aged 72. On 18th September 1955 there were apartments advertised to let here.
On 14th June 1957 the 4-bedroom property was referred to as ‘…recently sold…’. In 1958 Mr. & Mrs. James and family lived here. On 11th November 1977 Commercial House, with 6 bedrooms, was advertised for sale. The property, then divided into four flats, was advertised for sale again in May 2000. In early 2004 the rear extension was demolished. In January 2007 the 5 bedroom property was advertised for sale again.
Two and a half storey mid C19 end-terrace house, in roughcast with slate roofs, brick end stacks and entrance flanked by full-height squared projecting bays, added ca1905, probably by H O Davies of St. Dogmaels. Centre ground floor door with doorcase and balcony over sporting decorative iron railing. Projections have paired horned plate-glass sashes to façade and narrow, similar lights to sides, both storeys. Projections have gablets with small rectangular windows, wavy bargeboards and slate roofs. Painted sills throughout. Narrow eaves with paired brackets. Side wall to right is similarly roughcast with blocked ground floor door.
Prior to 1905 remodelling it had 12-pane sashes to both floors, the ground floor lightsd flanking sub-classical portico doorcase.
Interior said to contain a cellar with slate flag floor and salting slabs in situ. Victorian fireplace in Living Room.
Census Returns 1861; 1871; 1881; 1891; 1901
Kelly’s Directory of South Wales 1875; 1906; 1914
St. Dogmaels Parish Register – Burials 1852-85
Accounts – Rebuilding Blaenywaun Chapel, St Dogmaels 1891
Occupiers List of Voters – St. Dogmaels 30/07/1894
Abstract of Accounts – Cardigan Union 02/08/1901
Cardigan & Tivy-Side Advertiser 1903; 1905-06; 1911; 1914; 1919; 1925 1928; 1932; 1938; 1940;
1944-45; 1953; 1957; 1975; 1977
Blaenwaun Chapel Annual Report 1938; 1939; 1944
Register of St. Dogmaels School
Annual Report – Capel Degwel, St Dogmaels 1974
Maritime Heritage, J Geraint Jenkins 1982
Sale Particulars – Commercial House, Dai Evans 2000
Monumental Inscriptions, Blaenwaun Chapel cemetery.
Sale Particulars – Commercial House, J J Morris 2006
© Glen K Johnson 17/08/2013.