In 1833-61 William Evans lived here. The farm house and outbuildings are shown on J. Wood’s 1834 map of Cardigan as the property of Lewis Evans, solicitor, No. 7 St. Mary Street. Lewis Evans was the town clerk in 1836. In 1841 the following persons lived here: William Evans, 55, farm bailiff; Jane Evans, 60, his wife; and Elizabeth Evans, 20, their daughter. On 22nd November 1844 Elizabeth Evans, daughter of William Evans, married Thomas Mathias, mariner, of St. Mary’s Lane a. k. a. Feidrfair. He was the son of farmer Mathias Mathias. In 1845 Jane Mathias was probably born here. Lewis Evans, solicitor, was still the owner and farmer in 1847, with 12 acres. In 1851 the following persons lived here: William Evans, 69, farm bailiff (b. St. Dogmaels); Jane Evans, 73, his wife (b. Ferwig); Thomas Mathias, 32, son-in-law, mariner (b. Cardigan); Elizabeth Mathias, 29, daughter (b. Cardigan); and Jane Mathias, 6, grand-daughter (b. Cardigan). In 1856 William Mathias was born here. Lewis Evans died on 19th September 1860, aged 85. His estate passed to his business partner, Thomas Morgan. In 1861 William Evans, 80, farm bailiff, lived here with his son-in-law Thomas Mathias, 42, a mariner; Elizabeth Mathias, 40, his daughter; and grand-children Jane Mathias, 16; and William Mathias, 5.
On 4th September 1861 Bath House Farm, together with ‘Miss Meads’ formed part of a marriage settlement between Thomas Morgan’s daughter, Jane Evans Morgan, and Elliot Lloyd Price. On 10th August 1875 the Mwldan Flood uprooted trees here. On 28th December 1879 Thomas Morgan died. The farm then passed to Charles Evan Davis Morgan-Richardson, solicitor, No. 7 St. Mary Street. It was unoccupied in 1881. In 1891-1902 Benjamin George lived here. In 1891 the following persons lived here: Benjamin George, 28 (b. Moylegrove); Hannah George, 30, his wife (b. Mwnt); John James George, 1 month, their son (b. Cardigan); and Margaret Williams, 26, servant. The household was Welsh-speaking. The Cardigan Guide of 1899 refers, probably spuriously, to a Roman Baths having been located here, until a dairy was built on the site c.1860. In 1901 the following persons lived here: Benjamin George, 38, farmer (b. St. Dogmaels); Hannah George, 39, his wife (b. Mwnt); John James George, 10, their son (b. Cardigan); and Mary A. Davies, 18, domestic servant (b. Cardigan). All were bilingual.
In 1910-16 Owen Williams farmed and lived here. On 3rd January 1911 Miss Anne Williams of Bath House Farm married Thomas Phillips of Pantycymmer. On 21st October 1915 Evelyn Beatrice Morgan-Richardson conveyed Bath House Farm to Stephen Morgan, butcher, and family, of No. 21 High Street. In 1918 Bath House Farm was owned jointly by Stephen Morgan, Anne Morgan, Edwin Morgan and Daniel Thomas Morgan of No. 21 High Street. In 1920-26 Stephen Morgan still farmed here. In 1930 Joshua Davies may have been the farmer. In August 1947 Bath House Farm was advertised for sale. On 4th November 1948 Lloyd’s Bank and Josiah Herbert Morgan, conveyed it to Lt. Col. E. Harewood Williams. On 23rd May 1951 Lt. Col. E. Harewood Williams became the Mayor of Cardigan, though not a Councillor. In December 1951 and July 1952 the farm was advertised for sale with 57 acres. On 26th June 1954 the farm was sold with 50 acres and a pair of houses. On 6th May 1955 the farm was offered to Cardigan Grammar School by Col. E. Harewood Williams for use as an agricultural college. The offer was declined. On 28th October 1958 there was a sale of stock, crops and implements here.
In 1968 John Evans of Bath House Farm was the Chairman of Cardigan Agricultural Show. In the 1970’s and ‘80’s the farm was leased to John B. Evans. On 1st July 1989 John Bowen Evans of Bath House Farm died aged 57. Some outbuildings here were made listed buildings in 1992. In 1994 it was suggested that the outbuildings could be converted into craft workshops. Mrs. Megan Evans, widow of John Evans, still lived in the house in 1995-99. In November 1995 the owner, Richard Thomas of Penralltddu, Cardigan, applied for planning permission for change of use for the outbuildings.
In 2001 plans were approved for the listed buildings here to be extended and converted for use as a multi-media Arts Centre. Work began in August 2002. In 2003 A. Atkins lived here. In early 2003 extensions were added to the buildings and by the end of the year, the new multi-media centre had opened. In December 2003 two old cottages used as outbuildings and described below, were demolished. By early 2004 the multi-media centre here was part of the Theatr Mwldan arts complex. The official opening was conducted by the Right Honourable Rhodri Morgan, First Minister for Wales, on 2nd April 2004. It closed in April 2009. In November 2009 the ‘Creative Mwldan’ property was advertised to let. The farmhouse was vacated at about that time and was awaiting demolition in April 2010. It was demolished during 2010.
In May 2011 the ‘Tivy-Side Advertiser’ newspaper moved to an office here from No. 39 St. Mary Street. Sue Lewis was the Editor. The newspaper office was located here in 2011-13.
The outbuildings were described by CADW in 1992:
“…Later C19 farm buildings in rubble stone with slate roofs, L-plan single storey, the principal feature being a steep-roofed cow-house cross-gabled to main range with long hipped roof ventilator, an unusual C19 farm-building type for West Wales. The rear wall of cow-house has windows with brick cambered heads and gable recess, possibly for missing plaque. Gable wall is flush with low ranges each side, that to north, of earlier build, has brick-headed window, door, window then ridge stack and similar window, door, window beyond, the doors blocked. Range to south of cow-house is L-plan, roof hipped at angle, rear wall door and window with cambered brick heads, matching cow-house. South return wall is obscured.
In courtyard, from north: low earlier range has two doors to left of stack, then a door, a C20 full-height opening to right and a small gabled outbuilding in angle to cow-house. Cow-house projects into yard with steep gable and ground floor door and window with cambered brick heads. Four-bay roof within, fishbone trusses. To right, L-plan south range has one blocked opening before angle, then window and doors before taller small granary with outside steps to eaves-breaking gabled loft door and ground floor cambered-brick arched cart-entry…”
The above-mentioned range has, to south wall, a small doorway, possibly former window, towards SE angle, with cambered red brick head partly obscured by later lintel.
INTERIOR – Bolted trusses to roof.
OUTBUILDING TO NORTH WEST – Small rectangular C19 former cottage, single storey and attic, rubble stone with slate gabled roof and stone east end stack, timber eaves board and bargeboards. South wall has door to left, small window to right with slate sill, both beneath timber lintels.
INTERIOR – Ground floor has beamed ceiling and fireplace with hewn timber lintel over. Attic storey has boarded timber internal wall and ceiling. Slightly rough cut truss frames, bolted to joints.
ADDITIONAL (2007) – Since the 1992 description of the main range, the roof and windows have been replaced with sympathetic materials and the interiors wholly altered. Large extensions in timber and Perspex have been erected in the former courtyard and in timber to the eastern end. The other buildings described in 2000 have been completely demolished.
Ceredigion Archives CDM/SE/6 – 1.
Map of Cardigan, John Wood 1834
St. Mary’s Parish Register – Marriages
Tithe Map of St. Mary’s Parish 1847
NLW Morgan Richardson MS 2211
Census Returns 1841; 1851; 1861; 1881; 1891; 1901
Slater’s Directory of South Wales 1868
Cardigan & Tivy-Side Advertiser 1875; 1879; 1902; 1911; 1914-16; 1930; 1947; 1951-52; 1955;
1958; 1980; 1995; 2000; 2003; 2009; 2011
O. S. Map 1887 etc.
A Guide to Cardigan & District, William Edward Yerward James 1899
List of Voters – Cardigan 25/07/1910
Register of Electors – Cardigan 1912; 1999
Kelly’s Directory of South Wales 1914; 1926
Sale Particulars – Bath House Farm, J J Morris ca1951
Official Programme – National Eisteddfod 1976
Buildings of Architectural or Historic Interest – Cardigan, CADW 1992
Cardigan Annual Show Catalogue 02/08/1995; 29/07/1998
Documents Held by Ian McKenna 1999
Carmarthen Journal 22/11/2000
The Phone Book 2003
Creative Mwldan – Official Opening invitation 02/04/2004.
Cardigan County Agricultural Show, Islwyn & Betty Griffiths 2004
Lease Particulars – Creative Mwldan, J. J. Morris, 26/11/2009.
© Glen K Johnson 01/06/2013.