The name means ‘Green Oak’. In 1838-51 Thomas Griffiths lived here. In 1838 Thomas Lloyd of Coedmore, Llechryd, owned Derwenlas and leased it to Thomas Griffiths. In 1841 Derwenlas was home to the following persons: Thomas Griffiths, 65, farmer; Sarah Griffiths, 65, his wife; Sarah Griffiths, 20, their daughter; Sarah Griffiths, 4, grand-daughter; and living in a separate unit: John Griffiths, 30, agricultural labourer; Frances Griffiths, 30; Thomas Griffiths, 6; William Griffiths, 4; and Sarah Griffiths, 2. In January 1846 Thomas Griffiths died here aged 11. In May 1849 Sarah Griffiths died here aged 74. In 1851 the following persons lived here: Thomas Griffiths, 79, farmer; Sarah Griffiths, 14, his grand-daughter; William Lewis, 20, servant; Sarah Lewis, 30, servant; and Thomas Lewis, 1, servant’s son. In September 1851 Thomas Griffiths died here aged 79.
In 1861 Matilda Gibbs, 78, widow, lived here with 3 servants – Griffith Thomas, 48, carter; Mary Davies, 50, dairy maid; and Hetty Thomas, 10, servant. In July 1867 Enos George of Derwenlas died aged 69. In 1871 Owen Davies, 36, farmer of 23 acres, lived here with his wife Fanny Davies, 40. In 1871-94 Owen Davies lived here. In 1881 Owen Davies, 49, farmer of 22 acres, lived here with his wife, Frances Davies, 60. In 1891 the property was the home of Owen Davies, 55, farmer; Frances Davies, 55, his wife; and David Jones, 66, boarder. In November 1894 David Jones died here aged 88. In November 1895 Frances Davies died here aged 87.
In 1899-1926 Thomas Williams lived and farmed here. Mrs. Sarah Williams lived here in 1899-1933. In 1901 the following persons lived here: Sarah Williams, 38, farmer’s wife; Elizabeth Williams, 13, her daughter; William John Williams, 11, son; Thomas Williams, 8, son; and George Williams, 4, son. The household was Welsh-speaking and all were born in Llangoedmor. In 1920 Miss Mary Williams lived here. On 28th January 1933 Mrs. Sarah Williams died aged 71. In 1933-37 Miss Elizabeth Williams lived here. On 4th September 1937 Miss Elizabeth Williams, daughter of the late Mr. & Mrs. Thomas Williams of Derwenlas, married Jim Thomas of Blaenbarthen, Llangoedmor. On 29th September 1937 there was a sale of stock and effects here as Mrs. Thomas was leaving.
In 1940 Mr. & Mrs. Blake lived here. In July 1947 Mrs. Williams lived here. In 1953 D. O. Blake lived here. On 18th October 1965 there was a clear-out sale here. The house was listed in 1994. In 1997 the new owner began restoring the building.
In 1994 the house was described by CADW:
“…Early C19 farmhouse in whitewashed rubble stone with slate roof and stone end stacks, larger stack to right. Two storeys, double fronted with 12-pane hornless sashes, and centre ledged door. Recessed painted cut stone voussoirs with keystones and arch rings. Slate sills. Outshut rear…”
Tithe Map of Llangoedmor Parish 1838
Census Returns 1841; 1851; 1861; 1871; 1881; 1891; 1901
Llangoedmor Parish Registers
Occupiers List of Voters – Llangoedmor 1889; 1900; 1911; 1915
Cardigan Observer 1894
Report – Llechryd Auxiliary Bible Society 1899; 1901; 1902
Llangoedmor Parish Jury List 18/08/1902
Kelly’s Directory of South Wales 1926
Cardigan & Tivy-Side Advertiser 1920; 1933; 1935; 1937; 1940; 1947; 1965; 1997-98
Post Office Telephone Directory 1953
Buildings of Architectural or Historic Interest – Llangoedmor, Julian Orbach, CADW 1994.
(c) Glen K Johnson 26/06/2013