Thomas Williams, linen draper, began trading in 1832, probably at this address. Dudley is shown on John Wood’s 1834 map of Cardigan. In 1838-81 Thomas Williams, linen draper and burgess of Cardigan, lived and traded here. In 1848 Thomas Williams, draper, owned shares in the Cardigan ship ‘Fame’, 77 tons. In 1851 the following persons lived here: Thomas Williams, 38, draper (b. Cardigan); Ann Williams, 45, his wife (b. Moat); and Eliza Davies, 22, general servant (b. Cilgerran). In 1861 No. 7 was occupied by Thomas Williams, 48, woollen draper (b. Cardigan); Ann Williams, 58, his wife (b. Moat); and Margaret Ann Williams, 7, their niece (b. Cardigan). In 1871 the following persons lived here: Thomas Williams, 58, draper, widower (b. Cardigan); Leah Williams, 53, his sister (b. St. Dogmaels); Margaret Ann Williams, 17, niece (b. Cardigan); Owen Morgan Williams, 15, nephew, scholar (b. Cardigan); and Anne Griffiths, 16, servant (b. Cardigan). In 1881 the following persons lived here: Thomas Williams, 68, draper; Elizabeth Davies, 70, his sister; Owen Morgan Williams, 25, nephew; and Anne Phillips, 18, general servant. Thomas Williams, for many years a Deacon of Tabernacl Calvinistic Methodist Chapel, died in April 1881, aged 68.
In 1881-91 Owen Morgan Williams, draper, lived here. On 20th August 1889 Rev. David Thomas Jones of Llangyfelach married Charlotte Hughes Williams, 35, of No. 7 Bridge Street. In 1891 Dudley was home to Owen Morgan Williams, 35, retired draper (b. Cardigan); Elizabeth Davies, 80, his aunt (b. Cardigan); Ellen Finch, 26, servant (b. Pembrokeshire); and David O. E. Roberts, 11, nephew (b. Cardigan). In 1891-95 Albert John Volk, fishmonger and game dealer, had a shop here.
In 1901 Dudleywas occupied by: William J. Griffiths, 46, barber (b. Reynoldston); Susannah Griffiths, 47, his wife (b. Reynoldston); William N. Griffiths, 23, their son (b. Begelly); Beatrice M. Griffiths, 8, daughter (b. Glamorgan); Ruby Griffiths, 7, niece (b. London); Stanley W. O. Griffiths, 6, son (b. Glamorgan); and Jethro Griffiths, 4, son (b. Glamorgan). All were English-speaking. In October 1906 Mrs. Griffiths lived here. On 26th April 1912 Edward Wildon, boot-maker & repairer, moved here from Priory Street. In 1912-68 No. 7 was the premises of Edward Wildon, boot maker. In July 1919 Dudley was advertised for sale. In 1939 Elsie Wildon lived here. In 1942-44 Miss Megan Wildon lived here. On 17th October 1943 Margaret Selina Wildon, eldest daughter of Mr. & Mrs. Edward Wildon, married David John Gray of Market Lane. In 1955 Edward, Elizabeth and Elsie M. Wildon lived here. On 21st May 1968 Edward Wildon of Dudley House died aged 79 (b. 1887), leaving a widow, Elizabeth Wildon and daughters Megan and Elsie. In 1975 Elizabeth Wildon died aged 86.
On 17th May 1976 No. 7 was advertised for sale. In the early 1980’s ‘Cambrian Marine’ had a shop here. In 1989 ‘Evans Bros.’ estate agents traded here. In October 1991 No. 7 was advertised for sale as a 3 bedroom house It was made a listed building in 1992. In 1998 Edwin Roland Sherwood and Anita M. Smith occupied No. 7, where they had a shop called ‘Computer Services Agency’ until 2002. Nos. 6 & 7 were advertised for sale and sold to Paul Edwards in the late summer of 2003. By autumn 2003 No. 7 was largely gutted internally. In August 2004 the upper floors were gutted. On 21st September ‘Cynilo’r Cardi‘, the precursor to ‘Credcer‘ opened their premises here. On 12th January 2005 ‘Credcer’ credit union opened at no. 7. They traded here in 2005-10. In 2010 ‘Credcer’ moved to No. 46 St. Mary Street. In 2012 a Women’s Aid charity shop opened here and traded in 2012-13.
Glenroy & Dudley were described by CADW in 1992:
“…Earlier C19 pair of houses in blue lias rubble stone with imitation slate roof and brick end stacks. Three-storey, 4-window range, hornless sashes to right, hardwood replacement to left, 6-pane to upper floor, 12-pane to first floor, with cambered heads, cut blue lias stone voussoirs and slate sills. Bracketed eaves. Ground floor has two centre doors and outer shop fronts. Left late C20 shop window with slate pent roof, carried over door. To right, original 6-panel door with overlight and late C19 or early C20 shop front with plate glass window, recessed door and overall fascia and cornice. Original timber lintel over most of ground floor.
Rubble stone end walls. Rear wall 4-window with inner windows at half level as stair lights…”
ADDITIONAL (2007) – Following 2003-05 renovations, all windows are hornless sash. Both shop fronts replaced with Georgian-style fascia boards and tripartite plate glass windows. Interior gutted. First floor front room formerly had reeded stucco cornice. Mid C19 staircase also removed.
Map of Cardigan, J Wood 1834
Pembrokeshire Record Office: Port of Cardigan Shipping Registers
NLW Minor Deposit 490-9B
Pigot’s Directory 1844
Census Returns 1851; 1861; 1871; 1881; 1891; 1901
Slater’s Directory 1868
Post Office Directory 1871
Parish Registers of St. Mary’s, Cardigan
Cardigan Observer 1881
Kelly’s Directory of South Wales 1884; 1895; 1914; 1926
O. S. Map 1887 etc.
Bill-head – O M Williams, draper, 7 Bridge Street 17/08/1889 (Cardigan Heritage Centre)
Letter-Head – E Wildon, Boot & Shoe dealer, 7 Bridge St. 19/02/1927
Cardigan & Tivy-Side Advertiser 1893-95; 1898-99; 1902; 1905-06; 1908; 1912; 1916; 1918-19
1923-27; 1929; 1932-35; 1937-38; 1940-46; 1949; 1968; 1971; 1974; 1976; 1985; 1991-92; 2000
Annual Report – Mount Zion Chapel, Cardigan 1939
Treasurer’s Accounts – Cardigan Auxiliary. Bible Society. 1949
Electoral Register – Cardigan 1955; 1998
Cardigan Civic Week Programme 1989
Buildings of Architectural or Historic Interest – Cardigan, CADW 1992
Caring For Cardigan 1998
The Phone Book 2003.
Penybryn Baptist Chapel cemetery Monumental Inscriptions
© Glen K Johnson 02/06/2013.