The name means ‘Peter’s Mill’. It was recorded in 1760. In 1767-1817 David Michael lived here. On 19th January 1767 David Michael was a burgess of Cardigan. On May 12th 1786 Catherine Michael, wife of David Michael, died aged 47. In 1811-41 John Jenkins lived here. On 14th March 1811 Mary Jenkins, daughter of John & Mary Jenkins, died aged 2. On 18th April 1815 David Michael of Felinbedr, miller, wrote his will. He referred to his daughter Charlotte Owens – wife of mariner John Owens of Cardigan; daughter Catherine Williams – wife of David Williams, mariner, Cardigan; David Williams, son of Catherine Williams – his grandson; grand-daughter Catherine Owens – daughter of Charlotte & John Owens; and daughter Mary Michael. On May 6th 1817 David Michael died aged 86 years.
On 1st May 1824 John Jenkins, son of John & Mary Jenkins, died aged 16. In 1837 David Jenkins lived here. In 1838 the property was owned by Philip John Miles, owner of the Priory estate, Cardigan, and occupied by John Jenkins. In 1841 the property was home to the following persons: John Jenkins, 60, miller; Mary Jenkins, 60; Jonathan Jenkins, 20; Margaret Jenkins, 15; and Sarah James, 25, servant.
In 1851-77 John Evans lived here. In 1851-81 Mrs. Mary Evans lived here. In 1851 John Evans, 46, miller and farmer of 4 acres, lived here with his wife, Mary Evans, 35; son John Evans, 1, and 1 servant – Anne Humphries, 25. In 1852-1917 Miss Mary Evans lived here. In 1861 the following persons lived here: John Evans, 58, miller & farmer of 4 acres, lately mariner; Mary Evans, 46, his wife; John Evans, 11, their son, scholar; Mary Evans, 9, daughter, scholar; and Ann Williams, 17, house servant. In 1871 the following persons lived here: John Evans, 66, farmer & miller; Mary Evans, 55, his wife; Mary Evans, 19, their daughter; and William Ladd, 14, mill servant. On 3rd February 1875 Eleanor Evans, wife of John Evans the younger of Felinbedr, died aged 22. She was a daughter of Joseph & Leah Rees of Towyn. On 7th March 1877 John Evans died when he fell between the cogs of the mill machinery. On 17th March 1877 the following was reported in the ‘Aberystwyth Observer‘:
“…VERWICK. FATAL ACCIDENT. —On Wednesday afternoon last week, at about 2 o’clock, a sad accident, which must. have caused almost instantaneous death, occurred to Mr. John Evans, miller, of Felinbedr Mill, Verwick, near Cardigan. A woman named Sarah Thomas, of Verwick. went to the mill to grind some corn the deceased was then at dinner, and having finished went out to see the machinery Mrs Thomas followed him immediately, and finding the water-wheel going, but the machinery of the mill at a standstill, she became alarmed, and went to see what was the matter, when she found the deceased fast in the cogs. She immediately stopped the water-wheel, gave an alarm, and the unfortunate man was released, but death had already claimed him as its own, the head, arm, leg, and left side being much torn and lacerated No one saw the occurrence; but it is supposed that the deceased was doing something- to the valve of the mill, and that in stopping the machinery his clothes were caught by the cogs, and his body drawn in by the wheels. The deceased, who is 73 years of age, was much respected, and leaves a widow with two children to mourn his loss An inquest was held at Felenbedr, on Friday, the 9th inst., before J. H. Evans, Esq., deputy coroner, and a respectable jury, of whom Capt. J. Richards, Tanner’s Arms, was the foreman. The jury returned a verdict of “Accidental death…”
On 13th September 1880 John Evans (the younger) of Felinbedr, married Letitia Rees of Towyn – his late wife’s sister. In 1881 the following persons lived here: Mary Evans, 60, widow, miller & farmer; John Evans, 30, her son, corn miller; Mary Evans, 27, daughter; Letitia Evans, 31, wife of John Evans; and Evan Elias, 14, general servant. In 1891 the property was occupied by Mary Evans, 35, unmarried, miller & farmer; Winnie Davies, 18, general servant; and John Richards, 11, general servant. On 24th August 1895 Winnie Davies, servant, married Evan George of Crug. The mill was sold on 31st July 1897 as part of the Priory estate. It was sold with 9 acres to the tenant, Miss Evans, for £650. In 1901 the following persons lived here: Mary Evans, 46, farmer & miller (b. Ferwig); Margaret A. Llewelyn, 18, domestic servant (b. St. Dogmaels); and David G. Davies, 16, carter (b. Aberporth). The household was Welsh-speaking. There was a burglary here in June 1906.
In 1926-48 Mrs. Letitia Evans was the miller. In 1931 Helena Mary Evans also lived at Felinbedr. In 1935-40 Miss Edith Evans lived here. In 1940 Eleanor Evans lived here. On 5th January 1947 Miss Eleanor Evans, youngest daughter of Mrs. Evans of Felinbedr, died aged 48. On 11th November 1948 Mrs. L. Evans of Felinbedr died. In July 1957 Miss May Ann Evans of Felinbedr died aged 62.
On 9th August 1963 Felinbedr was advertised for sale including 10 acres and the former grist mill – then in use as an animal shed and stores. In January 1970 it was advertised for sale again. The building was listed about the year 1997.
Circa 1997 the property was described by CADW:
“…Early to mid C19 corn mill built of rubble stone with hipped slate roof. Two storeys, front has two first floor 9-pane windows with slate sills, ground floor door to left, centre window and door to right, all with Cilgerran stone voussoirs and keystones. Rear has window and door entry to upper floor, both with Cilgerran stone keystones. Outbuilding to left with window and door, timber lintels. Wheel was on right end wall, now removed…”
NLW Minor Deposit 490-9B
Pembrokeshire Record Office: Abstract of Wills 1815
Tithe Map of Ferwig 1838
Census Returns 1841; 1851; 1861; 1871; 1881; 1891; 1901
Kelly’s Directory of South Wales 1875; 1895; 1926
Cardigan & Tivy-Side Advertiser 1877; 1880; 1895; 1897; 1906; 1917; 1935; 1937-38; 1940-41;
1947-48; 1957; 1963; 1970
Buildings of Architectural or Historic Interest – Ferwig, Julian Orbach, CADW 1997
Hanes Ysgol y Ferwig 2007.
(c) Glen K Johnson 28/06/2013