The ferry service was begun under the direction of Oliver Lloyd in 1833. On 7th October 1844 David Rees, son of publican David Rees of “The Ferry Inn”, died aged 4 years 9 months. On 12th October 1844 his sister, Ann Rees, died aged 2 years 6 months. In 1844-45 the public house was run by David Rees. David Rees died aged 37 on 31st March 1845. In 1846 Elizabeth Rees was ejected by owner John Rees of Glanymor, despite claiming that it was her property.
On April 25th 1847 John Jones of the ‘Ferry’ was buried at St. Dogmaels having died aged 5 weeks. On 10th October 1851 David Jones Richards of the ‘Ferry’ was buried at St. Dogmaels having died aged 1year and 1 month. On 8th March 1852 Thomas Langdon of the ‘Ferry’ was buried at St. Mary’s Church, Cardigan, having died aged 60. On 3rd December 1853 Margaret Richards was buried at St. Dogmaels having died here aged 3 days old. On 17th April 1859 the owner, John Rees of Granant Uchaf and Glanymor, died, and the ‘Ferry’ passed to his widow, Nancy Rees. On November 4th 1860 Elizabeth Richards of the ‘Ferry’ was buried at St. Dogmaels having died recently.
In 1861 Catherine Mathias, 38, was the publican, and lived here with her two daughters – Ruth Mathias, 16, and Elizabeth Mathias, 14 and a son – Dan Mathias, aged 11. In 1862 owner Nancy Rees, widow, married Thomas Llewelyn of Tredefaid, Llantood, and the couple continued to lease out the ‘Ferry’ to a person named Griffiths. On 22nd June 1863 Anne Griffiths of the ‘Ferry’ was buried at St. Mary’s Church, Cardigan, having died aged 55. In 1867-68 Thomas Davies was the landlord.
In 1869-1914 David Rees, mariner & innkeeper, lived here. In March 1870-75 Evan Jones lived here. In 1871 Elizabeth Jones was in charge, and in 1875 Evan Jones followed. In 1881 the following persons lived here: David Rees, 36, innkeeper, and Elizabeth Rees, 32, his wife. In 1881-1914 David Rees held the license. On 8th May 1882 a son was born to Elizabeth Rees, wife of David Rees. David & Elizabeth Rees lived here in 1882-1906. In 1886 David Rees became the 2nd Coxswain of the local lifeboat. On 18th December 1886 Ann Rees, daughter of David & Eliza Rees of “The Ferry Inn”, died aged 7 weeks. In 1889 David Rees became Coxswain of the local lifeboat. On February 27th 1890 George Richards of the “Ferry” was buried at St. Dogmaels having died aged 81. In 1891 the following persons lived here: David Rees, 46, innkeeper; Eliza Rees, 44, his wife; David Rees, 9, their son; Margaret Ellen Rees, 7, daughter; John Daniel Rees, 5, son; and Joseph Rees, 3, son. On 21st May 1893 David William Rees, eldest son of David & Eliza Rees, died aged 11. In 1900 David Rees performed his last rescue before retiring in 1901 after 11 years as the coxswain of the local lifeboat. In 1901 the following persons lived here: David Rees, 56, publican; Eliza Rees, 52, his wife, Welsh-speaking; Margaret E. Rees, 17, their daughter; John Daniel Rees, 16, son; and Joseph Rees, 13, son. All were born in the parish and were bilingual, except where stated otherwise. On 15th September 1906 Elizabeth Rees, wife of David Rees, died aged 58. On 9th January 1907 Margaret Ellen Rees, daughter of David Rees, died aged 23. The Glanteifon Friendly Society met here in 1910. In 1911 the following persons lived here: David Rees, 66, widower, innkeeper & ferryman; and Elinor Rees, 71, his sister-in-law. Both were St. Dogmaels born and bilingual. On 9th June 1911 David Rees of the ‘Ferry Inn’ was granted a long service medal from the Royal Naval Reserve. On 1st December 1914 David Rees died aged 70.
In 1915-17 John James was the landlord. In May 1917 the ‘Ferry Inn’ was advertised to let. In 1917-19 Thomas Morris had a brief spell as landlord. On 1st August 1919 the ‘Ferry Inn’, occupied by Thomas Morris, was advertised for sale.
About the year 1919 Stephen Morgan became the publican until 1939. In January 1925 a new ferryman was being sought. In February 1937 the pub was threatened with closure. In 1938 Stephen & Elizabeth Morgan lived here. On 19th July 1939 Stephen Morgan – the publican for 20 years, died aged 72. The license then passed to his widow – Elizabeth Morgan. She remained the landlady until 1947.
In June 1947 Kathleen Dickens of Cardigan moved here. On 22nd February 1952 the ‘Ferry’ was advertised for sale. In 1953-56 Esther Alice Lewis was the publican. On 31st July 1954 David T. Lewis of the ‘Ferry’ died. On 8th June and 28th September 1956 the ‘Ferry’ was advertised for sale. In September 1957 the license passed to Mrs. Olive Allan of the Exchange, St. Dogmaels. On 30th August 1958 Mrs. Sarah Eluned Brown became the licensee. In 1963-65 William Kingsley Thomas was the landlord. In December 1965 Mr. & Mrs. W. Phillips were the landlords. In December 1966 Mr. & Mrs. David B. Owens were the landlords until after 1968. In 1975 Viv & Kay Williams took over the license from Rosemary & Tony Nordberg. In 1975-79 Viv & Kay Williams lived here.
In 1987 David John Kendall became the licensee until 2002. ‘The Ferry’ was sold to Nick Laing in March 2002. In November 2003 Joff & Teresa Milner became the landlords until 2004. In January 2005 Brains Brewery bought the property and Martin Bartley was the landlord, briefly. In 2006 Andrew was the manager and lived here with his wife, Mary. In March 2007-09 David John Kendall was the manager. In March 2009 the tenancy passed to Helen & Mark of the ‘Hope & Anchor’, Cardigan, and Ricky was installed as manager, remaining at the ‘Ferry’ until August 2009. The tenancy then passed to Ieuan and his wife. The lease then passed to Tom Wells, who installed a new manager. In 2010 it re-opened under new management.
Two storey 2 window range in painted banded stonework with slate roofs and stone end stacks. Altered.
Pigot’s Directory 1844
St. Dogmaels Parish Register – Burials 1813-52; 1852-85
Parish Registers of St. Mary’s, Cardigan
Census Returns 1861; 1881; 1891; 1901; 1911
Marriage Settlement, Mr & Mrs Llewellyn & Mr & Mrs Joseph Rees & David George 30/08/1862
Slater’s Directory 1868
Cardigan & Tivy-Side Advertiser 1869-70; 1882; 1893-94; 1901; 1906-07; 1911; 1913-14; 1917; 1919; 1925; 1937; 1939; 1952; 1956-58; 1965-66; 1979; 1994; 2003-04
Kelly’s Directory of South Wales 1875; 1906; 1914; 1926
Accounts – Rebuilding Blaenywaun Chapel, St Dogmaels 1891
Occupiers List of Voters – St. Dogmaels 30/07/1894
Illustration – Ferry, St. Dogmaels c1890
Card – Glanteifon Friendly Society, 13/01/1910
Blaenwaun Baptist Chapel Annual Report 1938; 1939.
Register of St. Dogmaels Parochial School
Post Office Telephone Directory 1953; 1955
The History of the Cardigan Lifeboats, Donald Davies 1990
Programme – St. Dogmaels Public Regatta 15/08/1998; 07/08/1999
Monumental Inscriptions, Blaenwaun Chapel cemetery
© Glen K Johnson 25/07/2013.