In 1844 this may have been a public house run by Elizabeth James. In 1881 the following persons lived here: Jane Richards, 41, seaman’s wife; John Richards, 12, her son; Eddward James Richards, 10, son; Mary J. Richards, 6, daughter; Elizabeth Richards, 4, daughter; and Margaret Richards, 2, daughter. On 5th June 1881 Jane Richards, wife of Captain George Richards, died aged 41. On 14th July 1881 Elizabeth Richards, daughter of Captain George Richards, died aged 5. In the late 1880’s Fountain House was occupied by Margaret Rees and George Richards. Captain George Richards lived here in 1889-1924. On 23rd May 1894 Captain George Richards of Fountain House fell over the cliff between Netpool and the ‘Ferry Inn’ and was picked up unconscious by ferryman David Rees. In 1901 the following persons lived here: George Richards, 60, widower, master mariner; Edward James Richards, 30, his son, master mariner; and Margaret Richards, 26, his daughter, dress-maker. All were born in the parish and spoke Welsh. On 28th April 1903 Edward James Richards, son of Captain George Richards of Fountain House, died aged 32. On 29th November 1906 David Evans of Glogue married Miss Margaret Richards of Fountain House. In 1911 the sole occupant was George Richards, 71, widower, master mariner (b. St. Dogmaels, Welsh-speaking). On 19th August 1912 John Richards, son of Captain George Richards, married Agnes Phillips of Brighton. Captain George Richards died on 15th September 1924, aged 85. In 1934-35 Miss Richards lived here.
In 1938 Alvina John lived here. In 1938-45 Tom & Annie John lived here. In 1939 Alvina Rees also lived here. On 11th July 1945 Annie John, wife of Tom John of Fountain House, died aged 53. On 9th November 1949 Tom John of Fountain House, died aged 65. From 1933-49 he had led the singing at Blaenwaun Baptist Chapel. The property was due to be sold by auction on 4th February 1950, described as having two bedrooms, box-room and attic. It was probably sold to J. Gwynne of ‘Gwynne & Evans’, painters & decorators.
In April 2008 the property, a 2 or 3 bedroom house, was advertised for sale.
Two storey stucco-rendered C19 house, 3 window range with central ground floor door and replacement plastic windows throughout, stone sills, plain reveals. Slate gabled roof with red brick end stacks. Small attic light to N gable end, left of stack. C20 extensions to either end.
Pigot’s Directory 1844
Accounts – Rebuilding Blaenywaun Chapel, St Dogmaels 1891
Occupiers List of Voters – St. Dogmaels 30/07/1894
Census Returns 1881; 1901; 1911
Cardigan & Tivy-Side Advertiser 1894; 1903; 1906; 1911-12; 1916; 1924; 1934-35; 1945; 1949
Blaenwaun Chapel Annual Report 1938; 1939; 1944
Monumental Inscriptions, Blaenwaun Chapel cemetery.
Sale Notice – Fountain House, Sim Evans & Co, 04/02/1950
Bill-head – Gwynne & Evans, Fountain House, undated
Sale Particulars – Fountain House, West Wales Properties 25/04/2008
© Glen K Johnson 18/07/2013.