Foxhill was recorded in 1536 as “…Foxhyll Vaure…” and was leased for 80 years to Phillipp Roger. In 1665 “…Voxhill…” was the property of David Parry of Noyadd Trefawr, Llandugwydd. It was called “…Vaxhill alias Boxhill…” in a lease of 5th April 1720. On 20th August 1722 Stephen Parry of Noyadd Trefawr leased it to George Jenkin of Bryncws for three lives.
Ca 1768 John Owen was born here, the son of Evan Owen. In 1768 William Sambrook was the tenant. On 16th April 1771 Marmaduke & Frances Gwynne of Noyadd Trefawr leased it to William Sambrook of St. Dogmaels for 21 years. In 1779 William Sambrook was still the tenant. In 1785 John Owen, possibly of Foxhill, married Mary Phillips of Penrallt-ceibwr. In 1786-88 Madame Gwynne leased Foxhill to Evan Owen. In 1788 Mary Owen may have been born here, the daughter of John & Mary Owen. In 1790-1803 William Sambrook was the tenant. In 1791 William Sambrook became a parish constable. In 1793 Elizabeth Owen may have been born here, the daughter of John & Mary Owen. In 1794 William Sambrook of Foxhill became a warden of St. Thomas’ Church. On 18th December 1803 Frances Gwynne leased Foxhill to John Owen of Bryncws for three lives. In 1803-18 John Owen lived here. Ca. 1805 Benjamin Owen was born here, son of John & Mary Owen and grandson of Evan Owen of Manian Fawr. In 1811 Elizabeth Owen, daughter of John & Mary Owen, married David Owen and they later lived in the parish. On 7th March 1816 Mary Owen, daughter of John Owen of Foxhill, married John Williams of Colwyn. On 20th January 1817 Mary Owen, wife of John Owen, died aged 52. In 1818 John Owen became a warden of St. Thomas’ Church. In 1818 John Owen surrendered his lease to William Henry Webley-Parry in consideration of a new lease.
In 1818-23 Morris & Mary Mathias lived here. On November 11th 1818 Thomas Mathias, son of Morris & Mary Mathias, was baptised by the Vicar of St. Dogmaels. In 1819 Foxhill was leased to Morris Mathias for 21 years. In 1820 Captain William Henry Webley Parry of Noyadd Trefawr made the lease to Morris Mathias for one life for £75 per annum plus suit of mill. On March 1st 1823 David Mathias, son of Morris & Mary Mathias, was baptised by the Vicar of St. Dogmaels. On 30th September 1823 Maria W. Webley Parry wrote to Lewis Evans of St. Mary Street, Cardigan, solicitor, complaining about the ‘…deplorable state…’ of the tenant. In 1825-28 Griffith James lived here.
Foxhill is shown on a map of 1834. In 1838 it was owned by William Henry Webley-Parry and leased to John Owens. On 14th August 1840 Evan Jones of Foxhill was buried at St. Dogmaels having died aged 28. In 1841 the following persons lived here: Griffith Jones, 65; Rachel Jones, 55, his wife; James Jones, 25, their son; Rachel Jones, 20, daughter; and Elizabeth Jones, 15, daughter. On 7th July 1842 James Jones, son of Griffith Jones, both farmers, married Hannah Rees of St. Dogmaels. In 1844 Griffith Jones lived here. In 1850 Thomas Davies lived here. In 1851 the following persons lived here: Thomas Davies, 34, farmer of 118 acres; Hannah Davies, 30, his wife; Evan Davies, 6, their son; Margaret Davies, 2, daughter; and three servants. On June 3rd 1854 Thomas Davies of Foxhill died aged 37, and was buried at Ferwig. His will referred to his wife Hannah Davies; daughter Margaret Davies; father Evan Davies; and brother Evan Davies – the latter two of Ysgyborhen. On 4th August 1855 John Owen died aged 87.
In 1857-75 William Thomas lived and farmed here. On October 3rd 1857 William Thomas, 33, married Hannah Davies, 38, widow, of Foxhill. On November 30th 1857 John Thomas, son of William & Hannah Thomas, was baptised by the Vicar of St. Dogmaels. In 1861 the following persons lived here: William Thomas, 38, farmer; Hannah Thomas, 41, his wife; Margaret Davies, 12, her daughter; John Thomas, 3, their son; David Thomas, 3 months, son; and three servants – William Morris, 17; Thomas Davies, 12; and Mary Davies, 15. D. K. W. Webley-Parry sold Foxhill in 1862. In 1871 the following persons lived here: William Thomas, 45, farmer; Hannah Thomas, 50, his wife; Margaret Davies, 22, her daughter; John Thomas, 13, their son; David Thomas, 10, son; Philip Jones, 28, farm servant; Mary Williams, 22, servant; and William Morgan, 18, servant. On July 25th 1871 Philip Jones, servant at Foxhill, married Mary Lewis of St. Dogmaels.
In 1881 the following persons lived here: John Thomas, 23, farming 119 acres; Margaret Davies, 31, housekeeper; William Nicholas, 12, servant; and Margaret Evans, 17, servant. On 13th August 1886 Foxhill was advertised for sale. On 29th September 1887 a sale of corn and potato crops was held here. In the late 1880’s Titus James left Foxhill. In 1889-94 William James lived here. In 1891 the following persons lived here: William James, 34, farmer; Elizabeth James, 27, his wife; James Griffith James, 4, their son; Rowland Volk James, 1, son; John Daniel James, 2 weeks, son; Mary John, 50, widow, visitor; Benjamin Jones, 17, servant; and Mary Jane Davies, 17, servant.
On 29th August 1898 a son was born here to Mr. & Mrs. William Joseph. In 1901 the following persons lived here: William Joseph, 34, farmer; Margaret Joseph, 42, his wife; David T. Joseph, 16, their son; Mary H. Joseph, 11, daughter; Willie Joseph, 9, son; Margaret A. Joseph, 7, daughter; John Joseph, 2, son; and William James, 16, farm worker. All were bilingual and born in the parish. In 1901-12 William Joseph was the farmer and J. Daniel Joseph lived here. In 1911 the following persons lived here: William Joseph, 47, farmer; Margaret Joseph, 52, his wife; David Thomas Joseph, 23, their son, carpenter; Maria Hannah Joseph, 21, daughter, dairymaid; Willie Joseph, 19, son, farm labourer; Margaret Anne Joseph, 16, daughter, dairy worker; and John Daniel Joseph, 12, son, scholar. On 21st September 1912 the 102 acre property, occupied by William Joseph, was sold off – part of the Pantsaeson (Monington) estate.
In 1914-31 James Rees was the farmer. He died on 10th March 1931 aged 78. In 1934-39 James Evans lived here. In April 1938-1939 James & Margaret Ann Evans lived at Foxhill. Picton Rees also lived here in 1938-39. In January 1940 Foxhill was advertised for sale with 86 acres. On 2nd February 1940 Margaret Ellen Evans, wife of farmer James Evans, died aged 58. On 23rd July 1940 Mr. D. Picton Rees of Foxhill married Miss Violet Eurhonwen Davies of Grennfield Square, Cardigan. On 1st October 1940 James Evans, who had retired from farming, held a clear-out sale here. In April 1944 Foxhill was advertised for sale. In 1944 the following persons lived here: William Hughes; Maggie Hughes; Sylvi Hughes; and Ena Mary Hughes. On 20th November 1948 Miss Ena Mary Hughes, daughter of Mr. & Mrs. William Hughes of Foxhill, married Benjamin Evans Gwynne of St. Dogmaels.
NLW Bronwydd MS 1469
NLW Noyadd Trefawr MSs 950; 1601-1602; 670; 1014; 1066; 1072; 1097; 1352-3
Unpublished Bill regarding William Webley 1773
Gloucester Journal 09/08/1779
Land Tax Lists for St. Dogmaels 1786-1803
Pembrokeshire Record Office: HPR/145/15-18
St. Dogmaels Parish Register – Baptisms 1813-58
Ledger of David Davies, Bridge House, Cardigan 1830
Map of Cardigan, John Wood 1834
Tithe Map of St. Dogmaels Parish 1838
St. Dogmaels Parish Register – Burials 1813-52
Census Returns 1841; 1851; 1861; 1871; 1881; 1891; 1901; 1911
St. Dogmaels Parish Register – Marriages 1837-1970
Register of Electors – Cardigan 1874
Kelly’s Directory of South Wales 1875; 1906; 1914; 1926
Cardigan & Tivy-Side Advertiser 1886; 1898; 1911-12; 1931; 1934-35; 1937-38; 1940; 1944; 1949;
Poster – Sale of Crops, Foxhill 29/09/1887
Accounts – Rebuilding Blaenywaun Chapel, St. Dogmaels 1891
Occupiers List of Voters – St. Dogmaels 30/07/1894
Benedictine Abbey of St. Mary at St. Dogmaels, H M Vaughan 1917
Blaenwaun Chapel Annual Report 1938; 1939; 1944
The Place Names of Pembrokeshire, B G Charles 1993
Monumental Inscriptions, Ferwig cemetery.
Monumental Inscriptions, Blaenwaun Chapel cemetery
© Glen K Johnson 15/08/2013