The house was built in the 1840’s or 1850’s to plans by architect Edward Heycock of Shrewsbury. The work was superintended by Mr. Ebrey of London. In 1860 William Buck lived here. In 1861 the following persons lived here: Eliza Jones, 57, landed proprietor; Frances Phillips, 23, her daughter; Arthur Lort Phillips, 39, her son-in-law; Frances Hoad, 47, gentlewoman, visitor; and eight servants – Jane D. Jackett, 33, waiting maid; Mary Ormond, 32, waiting maid; Elizabeth Jones, 32, cook; Frances Davies, 24, house maid; Mary Thomas, 12, kitchen maid; Sarah Lewis, 25, dairy maid; James Luck, 35, butler; and John Williams, 15, page. By December 1861-68 Arthur Lort-Phillips, formerly of Basinghill Street, London, occupied Glanarberth. In 1861-1913 Mrs. Lort-Phillips lived here. On 26th October 1862 twin sons were born to Frances Anne & Arthur Lort-Phillips. On 21st March 1863 George Lort Phillips, twin son of Arthur Lort Phillips, died aged 5 months. On 25th August 1865 it was advertised for sale, to be sold by auction on 9th September, and described as “…that recently erected mansion called Glanarberth…”, with bailiff’s cottage, farm buildings, 96 acres, a corn grist mill and 16 cottages. On 24th September 1865 Frances Augusta Lort Phillips was born, the daughter of Arthur and Frances Anne Lort Phillips. On 8th April 1866 Frances Augusta Lort Phillips died aged 7 months. On 1st June 1866 Glanarberth was offered for sale and was for sale again on 9th October 1867. In 1867 John Lort-Phillips was born and lived here in 1867-1950. Arthur Lort-Phillips died on 12th January 1868, aged 46.
In 1868 Peregrine Lort-Phillips was born and lived here in 1868-1953. In 1871 the following persons lived here: Frances Lort-Phillips, 30, widow, landowner; Arthur Lort-Phillips, 8, her son; John Lort Phillips, 4, son; Peregrine Lort Phillips, 2, son; Margaret Williams, 21, governess; Sarah A. Williams, 30, nurse; Jane Williams, 27, cook; Mary Stephens, 24, housemaid; and Richard Morgans, 29, coachman. An entertainments evening with the performance of two plays was held here by the Lort-Phillips’ in August 1877 and similar events took place in 1878 and 1879. In 1901 only the cook, Margaret Owens, 56, was in residence at the time of the census. Born at Cardigan, she was bilingual. In 1906 Henrietta Lewis, 40, became the housekeeper. On 11th September 1909 William Henry Hoare, the butler, attempted suicide. In 1913 Mrs. Lort-Phillips died.
In May 1924 Arthur Lort-Phillips, son of the late Mrs. Lort-Phillips of Glanarberth, died aged 61 in Hampton. On 27th September 1928 there was a sale of stock, crops and implements here for Peregrine Lort Phillips. On 9th December 1929 Henrietta Lewis, the housekeeper here for 23 years, died aged 63. In 1933 Mrs. Kate Charles was said to be living at Glanarberth. On 21st July 1948 there was a sale of effects from Glanarberth. In 1950 John Lort-Phillips lived here. In 1952 Benjamin Thomas, a Deacon of Tabernacle Chapel in Llechryd, lived at the farm. On 18th January 1953 Peregrine Lort-Phillips died aged 84. He was unmarried and had lived alone.
On 13th February 1953, the mansion was offered for use as an Old Folks’ Home. On 12th March 1953 there was a sale of contents here. The estate was sold off in September 1953. On 5th November 1953 there was a sale of furnishings here. In 1955 Montague S. Wood lived here. On 7th October 1978 the empty property was gutted by fire. Various outbuildings and elements were listed in 1980. The shell was demolished in 1986. Part of the site was being built on in 2002.
In 1994 various surviving elements of the estate which were listed were described by CADW:
“…ENTRANCE GATES, PIERS AND RAILINGS – Mid C19 entrance gates to Glanarberth (demolished). Two Cilgerran stone rusticated gatepiers with pyramid caps and concave curved low rusticated stone walls to similar outer piers. Wall has slate coping and spearhead iron rails. Centre pair of iron gates with spearhead rails, diagonally crossed strengthening bars and dog-bars…”
“…STABLE COTTAGE INCLUDING ATTACHED RANGE TO NW – Circa 1860 former stable block to demolished Glanarberth mansion. Rubble stone, formerly roughcast, with slate roof and one stone ridge stack. Cut stone voussoirs, sills and plinth. Substantial range, one storey and loft, centre large arch with raised impost and keyblocks, plain radiating-bar fanlight and modern timber infill below with door. Above is eaves-breaking arched sash window with intersecting tracery and horns under shallow gable. Flanking centre entry are two large hornless 12-pane camber-headed sashes, and left end has ledged door with big 6-pane overlight with cambered head, right has former carriage entry broad cambered arch and keystone rebate, and C20 plate-glass replacing boarded doors. W end has C20 openings, two each floor overlooking walled garden. E end has hornless 12-pane sash each floor and flat heads with cut-stone voussoirs. Rear is outshut with blank opening in E end wall, and N end door, 4-pane sash, 4-pane sash, blocked broad opening with chamfered jambs, 16-pane sash and door.
Attached at NW angle is rubble stone slate-roofed range with E gable hexagonal plinth to timber-columned lantern with ogee-leaded roof, identical to one on stables at Pencraig, Llechryd. E end door. 4-bay N side with 12-pane sashes and door in order WWDW, the last two within later two-bay cart shed running N with E front stone pier.
(Attached to SW is walled garden with rubble stone walls on three-sides and low lean-to outbuildings on N side….”
“…GATEPIERS AND GATES TO E OF STABLE COTTAGE – Circa 1865 gatepiers and gates, two broad piers of coursed rubble stone with slate caps. Pair of iron gates with wrought-iron scrolled and twisted spearheads above top-rail ramped down to meeting-stile. Mid height double rail with intersecting half-ovals between, dog-bars below and similar spearheads above. Four slate steps up bank in front of left pier…”
“…TOWER E OF STABLE COTTAGE – Circa 1865 small tower, possibly a pump house; a remnant of former Glanarberth Mansion, built in early 1860’s, demolished 1986. Rubble stone, square plan, with projecting embattled parapet on Cilgerran stone coursing and with slate capping. Various ‘put-log’ holes in walls. S front has small arched opening at ground and upper level, with cut stone voussoirs, keystone and arch ring. The upper opening is unfilled. Interior has no floor…”
Census Returns 1861; 1871; 1901
Carmarthen Journal 1865
The Welshman, 1865
Cardigan & Tivy-Side Advertiser 1867-69; 1885; 1899; 1909; 1915; 1924; 1928-29; 1933; 1937-38; 1940-41; 1943; 1948; 1953; 1967; 1978; 1986
Kelly’s Directory of South Wales 1875; 1926
Programme – Glanarberth Aug 1877; Aug 1878; Aug 1879
A Guide to Cardigan & District, W E Yerward James 1899
Telephone Directory – South Wales District 1940
Post Office Telephone Directory 1950; 1955
Annual Report – Tabernacl Independent Chapel, Llechryd 1952
Plan of Glanarberth Mansion, R D Morris c1953
The Lost Houses of Wales, Tom Lloyd 1987
Buildings of Architectural or Historic Interest – Llangoedmor, Julian Orbach, CADW 1994
(c) Glen K Johnson 28/07/2013