The name implies ‘At the Edge of the Water’. On 20th August 1675 John Sandbrocke probably lived here. He was recorded again in February 1679. In 1684 probate was made of the will of John Sambrook. In 1728 probate was made of the will of Philip Sambrook, possibly of Glandwr. On 29th November 1745 John Sambrook, yeoman, wrote his will. He probably lived at Glandwr with his wife Catherine Sambrook, daughter Ann Sambrook, and son David Sambrook. In 1786-88 William James owned and farmed Glandwr Uchaf. In 1790-97 John Sambrook was the tenant. The present farmhouse was built in 1790. In 1796 John Sambrook lived here. On 3rd January 1798 John Sambrook of Glandwr wrote his will. He referred to Pentood Uchaf, St. Dogmaels – also held by his family. He mentioned his son John Sambrook; his second son Daniel Sambrook; third son George Sambrook; youngest son William Sambrook; and his wife Elizabeth Sambrook. He also mentioned William Sambrook of Foxhill, St. Dogmaels. All of his children were minors. Probate was granted on 10th February 1798. In 1801-02 William James was the owner and Elizabeth Sambrook was the tenant. In 1803 John James was the owner. In 1806 John Sambrook, eldest son of John & Elizabeth Sambrook, and grandson of William Sambrook of Nantperchellan, St. Dogmaels, no longer lived here. In 1808 Elizabeth Sambrook remained resident.
On 28th October 1820 Elizabeth George, daughter of labourer Thomas George & Elizabeth George of Glandwr, was baptised at Monington Church. In 1825 the executors of the late Col. John James mortgaged Glandwr to David Davies, Bridge House, Cardigan. On 16th March 1834 John Owen, son of John & Mary Owen of Glandwr, was baptised at Monington Church.
In 1838 it was owned by John Taubman William James of Plas Pantsaeson and leased with 160 acres to James James. In 1838-81 James James lived at Glandwr Uchaf. In 1851 the following persons lived here: Glandwr Uchaf: James James, 47, farmer; Eleanor James, 36, his wife; Amy James, 18, daughter; Evan James, 15; Mary James, 11; Griffith James, 9; Ann James, 6; Edward James, 4; John James, 2; Eleanor James, 9 months; John Williams, 20, servant; and Mary Eleanor, 17, servant. Glandwrucha: John Jenkins, 30, agricultural labourer; Phoebe Jenkins, 27, his wife; and William Jenkins, 7, their son. In 1861-1933 James James lived here. In 1861 the following persons lived here: James James, 55, farmer of 120 acres; Eleanor James, 45, his wife; Amy James, 27, their daughter; Evan James, 24, son; Mary James, 20, daughter; Ann James, 16, daughter; Edward James, 14, son; John James, 12, son; Elen James, 10, daughter; Phoebe James, 8, daughter; William James, 5, son; Margaretta James, 3, daughter; James James, 7 months, son; David Evans, 18 farm servant; and a lodger. In 1871 the following persons lived here: James James, 65, farmer of 160 acres; Elinor James, 55, his wife; Edward James, 24, their son; John James, 22, son; Ellen James, 20, daughter; Phoebe James, 18, daughter; William James, 15, son; James James, 10, son; Benjamin James, 8, son; and William Evans, 38, servant. In 1881 the following persons lived here: James James, 75, farmer of 160 acres; Ellen James, 66, his wife; John James, 31, their son; Phoebe James, 27, daughter; William James, 25, son; James James, 20, son; Benjamin Owen James, 17, son; Elen John, 14, servant; and Amy John, 10, grand-daughter.
On December 8th 1885 William James, 29, farmer of Glandwr married Elizabeth Faulke of Clawddcam, St. Dogmaels. In the late 1880’s the James family – Eleanor James, John James, William James, James James and Benjamin Owen James, occupied Glandwr Uchaf. Ellen John was also resident. In 1891 the following persons lived here: Eleanor James, 65, widow; James James, 28, her son; Tom Griffiths, 28, servant; John Griffiths, 18; Ellen John, 35, servant; and Martha Lewis, 25, servant. James James became a Deacon of Tabernacle Chapel, Moylegrove, in 1897. In 1901 the following persons lived here: James James, 37, farmer (b. Monington); Margaret James, 28, his wife (b. Ferwig); Mary A Owens, 26, housemaid (b. Moylegrove); David Thomas, 20, general servant (b. Cardigan); and David J Morgan, 16, servant (b. Bridell). The household was Welsh-speaking. On 18th November 1909 Albert Creed of Llechryd married Miss Frances Davies of Glandwr Uchaf. In 1926 James James lived here. On 5th September 1933 a sale of crops was held here for James James, who was retiring from farming.
In 1934 Mr. J. Davies lived here. In 1937-38 Mrs. Davies lived here. In 1951-59 Tom L. Davies farmed at Glandwr where he lived with his wife, Doris Davies. In July 1953-August 1954 Glandwr Uchaf was advertised for sale with 153 acres. By the 1980′s Glandwr farmhouse had been vacated and was being used to house animals. In 1992 the house and attached outbuilding became listed buildings.
In 1992 the property was described by CADW:
“…Dated 1790, farmhouse in colourwashed rubble stone with asbestos roof and stone end stacks, larger to left. Long front elevation including outbuilding of same roof profile, attached to left. House has off-set three-window two-storey front, cambered-headed 12-pane sashes each side of door with overlight, first floor small 12-pane sash to left, smaller window over door, and right window missing fenestration. Timber lintels to door and upper windows, stone voussoirs to lower windows. Slate sills. Datestone ‘ISE 1790’ to left of centre on first floor. Outshut rear, and added outside kitchen at right angles behind.
Outbuilding attached without structural division has gable end cart-entry and outside steps to loft door. Lean-to added to rear.
INTERIOR – Dog-leg stair, big timber lintel to main fireplace, timber partitions.
In derelict condition (1991)…”
Parish Registers for Llantood
Parish Registers for Monington
Pembrokeshire Record Office – Abstracts of Wills 1745; 1773
Land Tax Lists for Llantood 1786-1803
Pembrokeshire Record Office: HPR/145/17
Ledger of David Davies, Bridge, Cardigan, 1830
Tithe Map of Monington Parish 1838
Census Returns 1851; 1861; 1871; 1881; 1891; 1901
Kelly’s Directory of South Wales 1875; 1926
Marriage Register – St. Dogmaels 1837-1970
Accounts – Rebuilding Blaenywaun, St. Dogmaels 1891
Hanes Blaenywaun, Benjamin Rees 1897
Cardigan & Tivy-Side Advertiser 1909; 1933-34; 1937-38; 1953-54
Buildings of Architectural or Historic Interest – Nevern, Julian Orbach, CADW
The Place Names of Pembrokeshire, B G Charles 1993.
(c) Glen K Johnson 24/06/2013