Glanhelyg was erected on Tyrhos Fields in 1859 for the Misses Webley-Parry of Treforgan, Llangoedmor, to the plans of “G. W. H.” of Treforgan. They were maiden sisters of Maria Webley-Parry, who had married William Owen Brigstocke of Blaenpant, Llandygwydd. In 1859-92 Ellen Webley-Parry lived here. In 1859-94 Eliza Jane Webley-Parry lived here. The following persons lived here in 1861: Ellen Webley-Parry, 47; Eliza Jane Webley-Parry, 42, her sister; and 3 servants – Joseph Richards, 33; Maria Richards, 38; and Mary Thomas, 28.
‘…One of these sisters, having weak watery eyes, fell in love with William Buck at Stradmore, and as he did not respond, she pretended to fall ill and went to bed. He took no notice of her health, so she sent for him to give him a dying message. He came to see her and she took a tender farewell and fished out from under her pillow an old silver turnip-watch, which she desired him to accept in memory of her. He departed with the watch, but paid no further attention to her health. After a time she realised that her love could not be reciprocated and she got up from her bed, said she was better and wrote to Mr Buck and asked for the return of her old silver watch as it had only been given in expectation of death…’
In 1871 the following persons lived here: Ellen Webley-Parry, 56, landowner; Eliza Jane Webley-Parry, 52, sister, landowner; Joseph Richards, 32, married, groom & gardener; David Jones, 32, head ploughman; Mary James, 29, cook & domestic servant; Hannah Howells, 24, house & parlour maid; and Anna Richards, 30, occasional servant. In 1873 Miss Ellen Webley-Parry owned 63 acres with a rental of £45. From May 1876 Ellen Webley-Parry was a shareholder in the Cardigan Mercantile Company. In 1881 the following persons lived here: Ellen Webley-Parry, 68; Eliza Jane Webley-Parry, 63; Joseph Richards, 42, groom & gardener; Anne Richards, 25, Parlour Maid & House maid; and Anne Griffiths, 20, cook & dairymaid. In 1891 the following persons lived here: Ellen Webley-Parry, 76; Eliza Jane Webley-Parry, 74; Joseph Richards, 52, groom & bailiff; Mary Anne Davies, 20, servant; Anne Griffiths, 29, servant; and Evan Rees, 26, gardener. Ellen Webley-Parry died in January 1892 and Eliza Jane Webley-Parry died on 11th January 1894, aged 76, and Glanhelyg passed to Miss Constance Tyler (nee’ Webley-Parry). On 14th March 1894 there was a sale of furniture here.
In 1896-1903 Gwinnett George Tyler, formerly of Gernos, lived here with his wife, Constance Tyler nee’ Webley Parry, and staff – Miss Jane Davies, Mr. J. Lloyd, Rachel Evans and Mrs. S. Rees. In April 1896 some alterations were conducted to the building. In September 1899 Glanhelyg was advertised to let. In 1901 the staff occupiers here were Owen Rees, Mrs. Sarah Rees and Miss Rachel Evans. In 1901 the following persons lived here: Constance Webley Tyler, 42, wife (b. Frankfurt, English-speaking); Jane Davies, 21, cook (b. Llangoedmor, bilingual); Rachel Evans, 30, dairy maid (b. Llangoedmor, Welsh-speaking); Alice Kirkham, 19, house maid (b. St. Dogmaels, bilingual); and Margaret Hughes, 15, parlour maid (b. Llechryd). In July 1901 the 5 bedroom house was advertised to let. On 17th January 1903 Gwinnett George Tyler of Glanhelyg died. On 23rd February 1903 and 11th January 1905 there were clearance sales held here for Mrs. Tyler. On 31st December 1907 Constance M. C. S. Webley-Tyler, widow, lived here. On 14th February 1908 there was a sale of stock and furniture here for Mrs. Webley-Tyler, who was leaving. Tenants then moved in. On 18th April 1911 Mrs. Constance Webley-Tyler, widow of George G. Tyler, died.
Later Glanhelyg passed to Katherine Maria Antoinette Hope, wife of Admiral Herbert Willes Webley Hope since 1905, who had spent much of her childhood at Blaenpant. Mrs. Hope lived here in 1919. Rear-Admiral Herbert W. W. Hope and Mrs. Hope lived here in 1919-66. In April 1919 Admiral Herbert W. Webley Hope was awarded the D. S. O.. In 1923-25 Captain & Mrs. Hope were living away from Glanhelyg. In May 1924 Mrs. Saunders-Davies lived here. On 21st December 1927 the butler, William Nerrison, died aged 67. In August 1929 Rear-Admiral Herbert W. W. Hope’s daughter, Elen Hope, married David Heneker, composer. He later composed the music for ‘Half a Sixpence’ and other musical shows. In 1934 Benji Rees was the head gardener. By November 1941 Admiral H. W. W. Hope was the President of the local branch of the British Legion.
Rear-Admiral H. W. W. Hope and Mr. G. Davies-Jones lived here in 1950. On 9th July 1951 Mrs. Jacqueline Elizabeth Douglas, daughter of Admiral & Mrs. Hope, died tragically in Cyprus. On 8th May 1953 a Memorial Window was unveiled at St. Tydfil’s Church, Llechryd, in her memory. On 17th June 1966 Mrs. Katherine Hope, wife of Admiral Hope since 1905, died. On 26th April 1968 Admiral Henry Willes Webley Hope died aged 89.
In 1971 the property passed to Peter Heneker, son of David & Elen Heneker. Peter Heneker was an executive of London Weekend Television and became the first organiser of CAFOD Wales and was honoured with the Knights of St. Gregory Medal by Pope Paul II. He married Josephine Ann Lewis-Bowen, daughter of James William & Kathleen Lewis-Bowen of Clynfiew. The Heneker family built a new residence on the estate and sold the mansion. The house became a listed building in 1994. The late porch was removed towards the end of the decade. In June 2000 the 8 bedroom property was advertised for sale.
The property was described by CADW in 1994:
“…EXTERIOR – 1859-60 small country house built for the Misses Webley-Parry of Treforgan. Built oh hollow red terracotta blocks, L-plan in section, subsequently painted, slate roof and two red brick axial ridge stacks, 4-shaft to left, three-shaft to right. Two-storey three-window front with two projecting bargeboarded gables. Stone plinth with chamfered step, walls with raised rusticated quoins and similar rusticated first floor window surrounds. Raised string course. Front recessed centre has pent slate hood over half-glazed door with narrow window each side, and first floor narrow 4-pane sash breaking eaves under small gable. Gable bays have 4-pane first floor sash and bay window below, canted to left with slate hipped roof and square to right with pent slate roof. Large gabled glazed porch is added in front on painted plinth. W end has ground floor canted bay and first floor pair of narrow sashes. E side has gable to right with window above and two below. Rear centre gable with stairlight and varied windows, NE service range.
INTERIOR – Central passage to offset rear stairs, plain, painted…”
Census Returns 1861; 1871; 1881; 1891; 1901
The History of Cilgerran, John Roland Phillips 1867
Cardigan & Tivy-Side Advertiser 1868; 1894; 1896-99; 1901; 1903; 1905; 1907-08; 1911; 1919; 1922-24; 1927; 1929; 1933-41; 1944-45; 1951; 1953; 1957; 1965; 1968; 1998; 2000-01; 2006 Kelly’s Directory of South Wales 1875; 1926
Report – Llechryd Auxiliary Bible Society 1899; 1901
Annual Report – Llwynadda C M Chapel, Llechryd 1901; 1902
Llangoedmor Parish Jury List, 18/08/1902
Telephone Directory – South Wales District 1940
Post Office Telephone Directory 1950; 1955
Programme – Penyparc Young Farmers’ Club Athletic Sports 08/08/1950
Programme – Cardigan Civic Festival 1986
Buildings of Architectural or Historic Interest – Llangoedmor, Julian Orbach, CADW
Historic Cardiganshire Houses & Their Families, Frances Jones 2000
The Phone Book 2003.
(c) Glen K Johnson 24/06/2013