The name means ‘On the Bank of the River Pool’. Reference was made in 1600 to “Capell Cranog” – a mediaeval chapel dedicated to St. Caranog stood here. Reference was made on 23rd June 1612 and in 1665 to “Cappell Crannog”. In 1768 the property, referred to as “…Clan Pwwll Avon, otherwise Cappall Crannogg, otherwise Tyr John Bowan Anthony, otherwise Thomas John Anthony’s Lands…” was occupied by Jonathan Thomas. On 6th April 1771 “Glanpwllafon alias Capel Cranog alias Tir John Bowen Anthony” was leased by Marmaduke & Frances Gwynne of Noyadd Trefawr, Llandygwydd to Ellue Thomas, widow, of St. Dogmaels, for 21 years at £5. 5s. per annum, plus suit of mill. On 12th October 1779 the Noyadd Trefawr estate offered to sell Glanpwllafon as part of the former Plas Newydd estate. It comprised “…good Houses and Outhouses…in the Possession of Elliwe Thomas, Widow, under a Lease for 21 years, of which 13 are unexpired, containing 11A, 1R 16P, at £5. 5s. per annum…” On 4th April 1780 Glanpwllafon was due to be sold by auction as part of a larger estate, together with 27 acres of land. In 1780 Thomas Williams purchased it. In 1786 the Land Tax assessment shows that Glanpwllafon was assessed at 10d, with Madam Gwynn the owner and Elliw Jenkins the tenant until 1791. On 1st February 1793 “chapel Crannog” was referred to when it was leased by Frances Gwynne to Alice Thomas, widow, for 3 lives at £7.7s. per annum, plus suit of mill. In 1793-96 Ellyw Thomas was the tenant. On 29th December 1799 Eilu Thomas of Glanpwllafon died aged 97. On 19th November 1800 Eleanor Thomas of Glanpwllafon died aged 60. In 1801-16 Elizabeth Thomas was the tenant. On 6th November 1816 Elizabeth Thomas of Glanpwllafon died aged 74. On 6th October 1818 Griffith Edward of Glanpwllafon died aged 46.
Thomas Williams, currier, son of cordwainer Stephen Williams and his wife Mary Williams of Cardigan, bought Glanpwllafon by June 1806 and remained resident until 1823. In 1813 Thomas Williams of Glanpwllafon was a collector of the Land Tax. In 1815 Thomas Williams became a church warden. On 14th January 1823 he wrote his Will. He referred to his eldest daughter Mary Williams; second daughter Elizabeth Richards; daughter Margaret Griffith; grandson Thomas Edwards; John Thomas, a tenant at Glanpwllafon; son Stephen Williams; grandson Owen Edwards; and son-in-law Thomas Griffiths of Glynhenllan Ucha, Cilgerran. His second daughter, Margaret Williams, married a Thomas Williams (!). The eldest daughter, Mary Williams, lived here with her first husband, Thomas Edwards. On 12th February 1823 Thomas Williams of Glanpwllafon died aged 73.
In 1827-71 Thomas Edwards lived here. In 1827-91 Margaret Edwards lived here. In 1827 Thomas Edwards owned shares in the ship ‘Margaret’, 93 tons. The property is shown as “Llanpwllafon” on a map of 1834 and Glanpwllafon on the 1838 tithe map. In 1835-95 Thomas William Edwards lived here. In 1835-42 Thomas Edwards was a burgess of Cardigan. In 1841 the following persons lived here: Thomas Edwards, 35, currier; Margaret Edwards, 30, his wife; Griffith Edwards, 13, their son; Thomas Edwards, 7, son; William Edwards, 5, son; Elizabeth Edwards, 6, daughter; Mary Edwards, 2, daughter; Mary Jones, 20; and Rees Elias, 15. In 1851 the following persons lived here: Thomas Edwards, 49, farmer of 72 acres; Margaret Edwards, 41, his wife; their sons Griffith Edwards, 22, Thomas Edwards, 17 and John Edwards, 6; daughters Mary Edwards, 13, Elizabeth Edwards, 11, Margaret Edwards, 3 and Anne Edwards, 5 months. Also Anne Evans, 26, servant. By 1860 Thomas William Edwards was a member of Penuel Baptist Chapel, Cilgerran. In 1861 the following persons lived here: Thomas Edwards, 59, farmer of 144 acres; Margaret Edwards, 52, his wife; Thomas William Edwards, 27, their son; Margaret Edwards, 12, daughter; Anne Edwards, 10, daughter; Richard Edwards, 6, son; and two servants – Lydia John, 21, dairy maid; and John Gwynne, 18, carter. In 1862 Thomas William Edwards became a trustee of Penuel Baptist Chapel, Cilgerran. On September 14th 1866 a case of cholera was reported from this address by Dr. Mathias. In 1871 the following persons lived here: Thomas Edwards, 69, farmer of 86 acres; Margaret Edwards, 62, his wife; Thomas William Edwards, 37, her son; Margaret Williams, 22, her daughter; Ann Edwards, 20, their daughter; Mary Phillips, 32, daughter; Margaret Phillips, 6, grand-daughter; Jonathan Phillips, 4, grandson; and Anne Phillips, 2, grand-daughter.
In 1881 the following persons lived here: Margaret Edwards, 72, farmer; Thomas Edwards, 47, her son; Mary Phillips, 42, daughter, servant; Anne Edwards, 30, daughter, servant; Jonathan Phillips, 15, scholar; Anne Phillips, 12, scholar; and David Williams, 50, servant. In 1891 the following persons lived here: Margaret Edwards, 82, widow; Thomas Edwards, 59, her son; Ann Edwards, 35, daughter; Anna Phillips, 21, servant; and Samuel Rees, 28, servant. On 20th September 1895 Thomas William Edwards was still a trustee of Penuel Baptist Chapel, Cilgerran. In 1901 the following persons lived here: Margaret Edwards, 92, widow, farmer (b. Mydrim); Thomas Edwards, 67, her son (b. St. Dogmaels); Anne Edwards, 50, daughter (b. St. Dogmaels); Mary A. Edwards, 56, daughter-in-law (b. St Dogmaels); and Anne Phillips, 32, niece (b. Swansea, English-speaking). Except where noted otherwise all were bilingual. On 14th October 1905 Mrs. Margaret Edwards of Glanpwllafon died aged 96.
On 30th November 1906 Mrs. Mary Phillips of Glanpwllafon, daughter of the late Thomas Edwards, died aged 52. In 1911 Mrs. Ann Edwards, 60, farmer, and Miss Ann Phillips, 40, her niece, lived here. Both were St. Dogmaels born. On 2nd October 1918 Miss Anne Edwards, daughter of the late Thomas & Margaret Edwards of Glanpwllafon, died aged 67.
On 14th February 1925 Glanpwllafon was offered for sale by auction with 55 acres and was sold to Jonathan Phillips of Walhamstow. In 1930-35 David Edwards lived here. On 7th February 1935 Margaret Edwards, wife of David Edwards of Glanpwllafon, died aged 70. On 13th March 1935 there was a sale of stock and effects here, as David Edwards was selling the property. On 18th May 1935 the 4 bedroom property was sold by auction with 65 acres.
In 1937-75 William Davies Phillips (b. 1911) lived here. On 30th November 1939 William D. Phillips, only son of Mr. & Mrs. R. Phillips of Glanpwllafon, married Margaret Elizabeth Thomas (b. 1916) of Nevern. Mrs M. E. Phillips lived here until 1987. In 1940 Alwyn Phillips and Mr. W. Phillips lived here. In May 1946 Mr. R. Phillips lived at the farm. On 16th January 1947 Rachel Phillips, wife of Richard Phillips of Glanpwllafon died aged 68. On 17th June 1952 Richard Phillips of Glanpwllafon died aged 68. On 6th August 1975 William Davies Phillips died aged 63. Mrs M PHILLIPS lived here in 1976. In 1982 Mrs. M. E. Phillips and D. C. Phillips were farming here. On 14th February 1987 Margaret Elizabeth Phillips died aged 71.
Glanpwllafon Farmhouse became a listed building in 1992.
The farmhouse was described by CADW in 1992:
“…Earlier C19 farmhouse in blue lias square stone with grouted slate roof and stone stacks to main range, brick S end stack. Two storey with main house and service range under continuous roof, 3-window main house door and one-window range to service wing. 12-pane sashes with cambered blue lias cut stone voussoirs and slate sills throughout. Centre door to main range and service door with similar heads, C20 half-glazed main door with overlight, service door in C20 rendered lean-to porch. Rubble end walls. Outshut rear…”
NLW Eaton, Evans & Williams MS 1206; MS11072.
NLW Noyadd Trefawr MSs 601; 602; 898; 907; 909; 917; 986.
Unpublished Bill relating to William Webley, 1773.
St. Dogmaels Parish Register – Burials 1813-52.
Pembrokeshire Record Office: Port of Cardigan Shipping Registers.
Map of Cardigan, John Wood, 1834.
NLW Minor Deposit 490-9B
Tithe Map for St. Dogmaels Parish, 1838.
Census Returns 1841; 1851; 1861; 1871; 1881; 1891; 1901; 1911.
Parish Registers of St. Mary’s, Cardigan.
Cardigan & Tivy-Side Advertiser 1905; 1925; 1935-43; 1946; 1951; 1958; 1975.
Register of Subscribers – Tabernacl CM Chapel, Cardigan, 1883
St. Dogmaels Parish Register – Marriages 1837-1970
Accounts – Rebuilding Blaenywaun Chapel, St. Dogmaels 1891
Occupiers List of Voters – St. Dogmaels, 30/07/1894.
Abstract of Accounts – Cardigan Union, 02/08/1901.
Penybryn Baptist Chapel Annual Report, 1911
Register of Electors – Cardigan, 1912.
Hanes Eglwys y Bedyddwyr Penuel, Cilgerran, W Morris & Rev. D J Michael, BA, 1935
Annual Report – Capel Mair, Cardigan 1952.
Post Office Telephone Directory, 1955.
Elizabethan Pembrokeshire, George Owen, ed. Brian Howells, 1973.
Official Programme – National Eisteddfod 1976.
Programme – Cardigan Fat Stock & Poultry Show 1982
Buildings of Architectural or Historic Interest – Cardigan, Julian Orbach, CADW, 1992.
The Place-Names of Pembrokeshire, B G Charles, 1993.
The Phone Book 2003.
Monumental Inscriptions, Blaenwaun Chapel cemetery
© Glen K Johnson 21/06/2013