Glenroy is shown on John Wood’s 1834 Map of Cardigan. In 1836-71 Catherine Baynes lived here. In 1836 Catherine Baynes, widow, owned shares in the ship ‘Fame’, 78 tons. In 1837 she owned shares in the ship ‘Expedition’, 37 tons. In 1841-81 David Richard Baynes lived here intermittently. In 1841 Catherine Baynes, 40, lived here, with her sons William Baynes, 9, and David Richard Baynes, 7. The following persons may have lived here in a separate unit: Catherine Griffiths, 20; Catherine Richards, 85, independent; David Jones, 35, carpenter; Elizabeth Rees, 15, servant; and Hannah Thomas, 40, servant. In 1842 Catherine Richards wrote her will. She referred to a house on Quay Street formerly occupied by John Davies, smith, now Benjamin James, mason, which she left to her grand-daughter Hannah Jones, wife of master mariner Thomas Jones; Catherine Baynes, her daughter, widow of the late William Jones Baynes; two houses “…in or near Quay Street…” occupied by David Owen, servant, and Martha Evans, spinster; Anne Edwards, daughter, wife of Llewelyn Edwards; three houses in Quay Street occupied by David James, tea dealer, David Jones, smith, and Catherine Griffiths, widow; Parkypis, St. Dogmaels; shares in the brig “Fame” (master Owen Lewis) and “Speedwell” (Master David George; and Tabernacle Chapel, Pendre. In the late 1840’s, three rooms at Mrs. Catherine Baynes’ house were occupied by the ‘Mechanics’ Institute’. In 1851 the following persons lived at No. 6: William Jones, 80, retired merchant (b. Clydach); Mary Jones, 43, his daughter, housekeeper (b. Llechryd); Henry G. Jones, son, 32, rope maker (b. Cardigan); Louisa Jones, 30, daughter, milliner (b. Cardigan); and Mary Thomas, 17, general servant (b. Cardigan). In 1860 Thomas Phillips, shipwright, possibly of No. 6, owned shares in the 153 ton Cardigan ship ‘Hermione’.
In 1861 No. 6 was occupied by the following persons: Catherine Baynes, 60; Catherine Griffiths, 30, her daughter; Ann Edwards, sister; Mary Edwards, 30, niece; Catherine Baynes, 78, relation (all b. Cardigan); David Palmer B. A., 28, lodger, master of an academy (b. Llanfallteg); and Margaret Jenkins, 19, a servant (b. St. Dogmaels). A separate unit was home to Thomas Phillips, 29, shipwright; Ann Phillips, 27, his wife; and Margaret Ann Phillips, 2, their daughter (all b. Cardigan). In 1871 the following persons lived here: Catherine Baynes, 76, widow; Catherine Griffiths, 54, her daughter; David Richard Baynes, 37, son; Margaret Baynes, 37, daughter-in-law (b. Tregibby); Catherine Baynes, 11, grand-daughter; Maud Mary Baynes, 10, grand-daughter; David William Baynes, 2, grandson; Henry Stanhope Baynes, 9 months, grandson (all b. Cardigan); and Margaret John, 19, servant (b. St. Dogmaels). Two visitors – Anne Edwards, 68, merchant’s widow; and Mary Edwards, 45, her daughter, were also resident. On 26th August 1879 John Davies, 28, of No. 6 St. Mary Street married Sarah Phoebe Rees of No. 6 Bridge Street.
In 1881 the following persons lived here: No 5) David Richard Baynes, 47, Relieving Officer; Margaret Baynes, 47, his wife; Catherine Baynes, 21, their daughter; Maud Mary Baynes, 20, daughter; David William Baynes, 17, son; Henry Stanhope Baynes, 10, son; Evan Lewis Baynes, 8, son; and Mary Francis, 15, domestic servant. No 6) Jane Thomas, 32, milliner; Margaret Thomas, 30, her sister; and Marianne Thomas, 24, sister. In 1881-1908 Miss Margaret Thomas, milliner, lived here. In 1884 Margaret Thomas, milliner, and Duncan Maclean, supervisor of Inland Revenue, occupied No. 6. In 1891 the following persons lived here: Jane Thomas, 39; Margaret (“Mag”) Thomas, 37, her sister; and Marianne Thomas, 28, sister. All were born in Cardigan and were Welsh/English bilingual. In 1895-1909 Miss Margaret Thomas, milliner, had a shop here. In 1901 Glenroy was occupied by the following persons: Jane Thomas, 49; Margaret Thomas, 47, her sister; John W. Thomas, brother; and Mary Anna Thomas, 37, sister. All were bilingual and born in Cardigan. On 21st November 1902 Captain John W. Thomas of Glenroy died aged 46. In 1904 Catherine Thomas of Glenroy sold No. 9 William Street to her former tenant there – Jenkin Jones. On 8th September 1905 Miss Jane Thomas of Glenroy died aged 57. In September 1908 Miss M. L. Griffiths, milliner, formerly of Bayvil, took over the business of Miss Thomas of Glenroy. On 28th April 1909 Cyril George Jeffs was born here – the son of Wyndham Jeffs & Ivy Agnes Jeffs of No. 6. Wyndham Jeffs was a hairdresser. In 1910 D. D. Griffiths, builder & contractor, traded here. In 1919 the Misses Thomas lived here.
In 1924-38 Hugh Ladd lived here. In July 1926 the 4 bedroom and attic property was advertised for sale. On 16th November 1927 Gladys Winifred Wadley, 21, of Glenroy married Victor Henry Reed, gardener at Castle Green (Cardigan Castle).
In April 1929 the 4 bedroom property was advertised for sale or let. On 17th June 1932 Miss Lilian Davies opened a draper and milliner’s shop here. In 1938 Mrs. Ladd lived here. In 1940 Mr. & Mrs O. L. H. Jones lived here. In 1943-46 William Davies lived here. On 15th January 1943 Mrs. Elizabeth Davies, wife of William Davies, died aged 73. On 20th January 1944 Vera May Davies, youngest daughter of the late Mrs. Elizabeth Davies and William Davies, married Staff Sgt. Clarence Jenks of the U. S. Army. In January 1945-55 John Lynn Davies lived here. In August 1946 William Davies of ‘Glenroy’ died. In 1949 Mrs. Jones lived at Glenroy. In 1955 David G. Davies, John Lynn Davies and Lillie H. Davies lived here.
In 1971-2003 Robert and Eileen Lloyd-Jones lived here. On 12th March 1971 Dafydd Lloyd-Jones was born, son of Eileen & Robert Lloyd-Jones. In March 1974 Councillor David John Gray of No. 6 Bridge Street died aged 71. He left a widow and a married daughter – Eileen Lloyd-Jones. In 1984 No. 6 Bridge Street was ‘The Music Shop’. In May 1985 Cllr. Eileen Lloyd-Jones became the Mayor of Cardigan. Cllr. Eileen Lloyd-Jones became the Mayor of Cardigan again in May 1992. In 1992 No. 6 became a listed building. In 1998-2003 Elsie (“Eileen”), Thomas Robert and Edward Lloyd-Jones lived here. In late summer 2003 Glenroy was sold to builder Paul Edwards.
Work began on refurbishing No. 6 in December 2004. In January 2005 the interior was gutted. Work continued into 2006. On 3rd July 2006 the ground floor became the premises of “Snowdrop Care & Mobility” a supplier of mobility cars. They were located here in 2006-08. The shop closed in November 2008. In September 2009 Cardigan Women’s Aid opened an office here and were based here in 2009-13.
Glenroy and Dudley were described by CADW in 1992:
“…Earlier C19 pair of houses in blue lias rubble stone with imitation slate roof and brick end stacks. Three-storey, 4-window range, hornless sashes to right, hardwood replacement to left, 6-pane to upper floor, 12-pane to first floor, with cambered heads, cut blue lias stone voussoirs and slate sills. Bracketed eaves. Ground floor has two centre doors and outer shop fronts. Left late C20 shop window with slate pent roof, carried over door. To right, original 6-panel door with overlight and late C19 or early C20 shop front with plate glass window, recessed door and overall fascia and cornice. Original timber lintel over most of ground floor.
Rubble stone end walls. Rear wall 4-window with inner windows at half level as stair lights…”
ADDITIONAL (2007) – Following 2003-05 renovations, all windows are hornless sash. Both shop fronts replaced with Georgian-style fascia boards and tripartite plate glass windows. Interior gutted. First floor front room formerly had reeded stucco cornice. Mid C19 staircase also removed.
Map of Cardigan, J Wood 1834
Pembrokeshire Record Office: Port of Cardigan Shipping Registers
NLW Minor Deposit 490-9B
Pigot’s Directory 1844
Census Returns 1851; 1861; 1871; 1881; 1891; 1901
Slater’s Directory 1868
Post Office Directory 1871
Parish Registers of St. Mary’s, Cardigan
Kelly’s Directory of South Wales 1884; 1895; 1914; 1926
O. S. Map 1887 etc.
Bill-Head – M Thomas, Glenroy, 1889
Bill-head – D D Griffiths, 6 Bridge Street 1910 (Cardigan Heritage Centre)
Cardigan & Tivy-Side Advertiser 1893-95; 1898-99; 1902; 1905-06; 1908; 1912; 1916; 1918-19
1923-27; 1929; 1932-35; 1937-38; 1940-46; 1949; 1968; 1971; 1974; 1976; 1985; 1991-92; 2000
Statement of Account – St Mary’s Church 31/12/1938
Treasurer’s Accounts – Cardigan Auxiliary Bible Society 1949
Electoral Register – Cardigan 1955; 1998
Election Address – Eileen Lloyd-Jones 11/11/1982
Cardigan Civic Week Programme 1989
Buildings of Architectural or Historic Interest – Cardigan, CADW 1992
Caring For Cardigan 1998
The Phone Book 2003.
© Glen K Johnson 02/06/2013