‘Greystone’ was underway by 12th June 1858 – along with Broyan House, the first new houses of the street. In 1891 Lizzie Jones, 31, lived here with Anne Jenkins, 19, servant; and John Mitchell, 60, boarder, retired surgeon. On 10th September 1891 a son was born here to the widow of Mr. T. Felix. On 31st March 1892 Miss Lizzie Jones opened a millinery establishment here. In April 1893 Miss Lizzie Jones transferred her millinery business at ‘Greystones’ to her sister – Mrs. Mary Anna Felix. On 27th April 1893 Miss Lizzie Jones, 2nd daughter of Mrs. Jones of Graystone House, married postmaster Jonathan Evans of No. 26 High Street. In 1894 Willie P. Jones, youngest son of Mrs. Jones, lived here. In 1893-1903 Mrs. Mary Anna Felix, widowed daughter of Mrs. Jones of Greystones, kept a milliner’s shop here. She announced the closure of her business in February 1898, but appears to have continued trading. On 16th May 1898 her only child, Thomas Douglas Felix, died aged 6. On 27th April 1900 Mrs. Jones of Greystone House died. On 5th February 1903 Mrs. Mary Ann Felix, widow of Thomas Felix, married David Bowen Davies, draper, of New Manchester House, Bridge Street. In 1905 J. Jones lived here. On 29th March 1907 Greystones was advertised for sale. In 1906-14 David Bowen Davies, draper, lived here. On 11th April 1907 a son was born here to Mrs. & Mr. David B. Davies. In 1911 the following persons lived here: David Bowen Davies, 55, draper; Mary Anna Davies, 40, his wife; H. Owen Bowen, 4, their son; and nieces, boarder and servants. In May 1911 Greystones, occupied by David Bowen Davies, was advertised for sale.
On 1st February 1918 Mary Elizabeth Williams, 27, of Greystones, married David Jones Mulrain of No. 3 Greenfield Row. On 14th May 1918 Lily Williams, 24, of Greystones married Jacob Griffiths of Cilgerran. On 31st July 1918 Mrs. Mary Anne Bowen Davies of Greystones married David Williams of Drefach Felindre.
In 1920-42 Dr. Selby Clare lived here. In 1922 Dr. Selby Clare was a member of the staff at the new Cardigan & District Memorial Hospital. In 1935-41 Miss Mabel Marie Clare was resident. In 1938-39 Henry Richard Clare lived here. On 4th July 1939 Henry Richard Clare, father of Dr. Selby Clare, died aged 87. On 7th November 1942 Dr. Selby Clare died aged 62. He had moved to Cardigan in 1914. In January 1943 Dr. C. B. Brownlie lived here. On 2nd April 1943 Greystones was advertised for sale with tenants there on a 5-year lease.
On 11th June 1945 Mrs. Sarah Mary Bowen of Greystones died aged 33. She left a husband, Clifford Bowen, and children Keith Bowen, Eirian Bowen and Maxwell Bowen. In November 1948 Elwyn Michael lived here. In 1949 the Hunt family lived here.
In 1950-55 Mr. J. E. Thomas had a veterinary surgery here. In 1950-51 accountants ‘Howard Williams & Partners‘ traded here. In 1952 Stephen Evans and Mrs. M. Evans lived here, as did D. A. Jones. In April 1952 Samuel David Stephen Evans of Greystones, veterinary surgeon, youngest son of Mr. & Mrs. J. Evans of Greystones, married Miss Barbara Ann Thomas of Napier Gardens. In 1953-55 ‘Howard Williams & Partners’, Chartered Accountants, had an office here. In 1955 Mary Evans, David Archibald Jones, Orville Lyndon Jones, Ruth Jones, and Jennifer Myfanwy Price lived here. On 31st May 1957 the 3 ground floor rooms were advertised to let. On 3rd May 1958 Ken Phillips, tailor, opened a shop here.
On 11th April 1970 ‘The Shoe Tree’ was opened here by Mr. & Mrs. Cyril Jones, formerly of ‘Turner’s (Cash & Co.)’, High Street. In 1970-76 ‘Shoe Tree’ traded here. In 1975 Mr. M. W. O’Connor traded here as a heating and plumbing engineer. On 6th September 1980 Greystones was sold by auction. In 1982 permission was sought for a ground floor flat here by Mr. J. A. Thomas. In 1983-84 this was ‘Grey Stones Antiques’. In 1985 Max Davies opened a shoe shop here. In 1985-2003 Max Davies kept a shoe shop here. In 1988 ‘Chapel House Antiques’ may have been trading here. In 1992 the building was listed. In 1998 the upper floor were rented flats. In 2001-07 ‘Huw James Property Management’ property agent, rented the corner shop. Max Davies announced the forthcoming closure of his shoe shop in July 2003. In 2004 there was a fruit & vegetable shop here. In January 2006 a refurbishment began. In 2007 Catrin Davies opened a flower shop here called “Pink Orchid” which traded here in 2007-10. In January 2008 ‘Huw James’’ former office became a baby clothes shop called ‘Baby Den’ which traded here in 2008-10. In 2010 ‘Pink Orchid’ moved to Pendre. In early 2012 both shops were vacant.
The building was described by CADW in 1992:
“…Circa 1870 house and shop in squared stone with some banding in red brick and blue lias, slate roof and stone end stacks, that to east large, 5-shaft with vertical incisions between shafts.
Three-storey, 3-window range with chamfered north west corner and south west rear wing. Blue lias capped plinth, pairs of red brick bands between blue lias bands below sill levels of upper floors and blue lias eaves course. Hornless sashes with flush blue lias sills and cambered heads. Blue lias voussoirs. Six-pane upper windows and 12-pane to first floor, matching one-window range to north west angle. Ground floor has centre arched doorway with fine blue lias arched head and radiating bar fanlight. Two-panel door. Similar doorway at northwest angle but without original door or fanlight. Each side of main door is shopwindow, that to left C20 plate glass, that to right C19 4-light, the lights with thin transoms and ogee pointed heads. Side piers with incised decoration, brackets over, framing fascia and cornice.
West end wall has full-height basement with one broad window and blocked ground floor window above. Rear wing has stone end stack, basement door and window, first floor window, stair light and second floor window all with blue lias stone voussoirs
Old photographs show tripartite 4-12-4 pane sash to right of door and timber shopwindow surround to west end window, now blocked…”
ADDITIONAL (2001)- Old photographs show marginalised sash window left of N door.
Cardigan Observer 1891
Census Return 1891; 1911
Cardigan & Tivy-Side Advertiser 1892-98; 1900; 1902-03; 1905-07; 1909; 1911-12; 1914; 1918; 1935; 1940-43; 1945; 1948-49; 1950-52; 1957-58; 1963-64; 1970-72; 1974-75; 1980; 2001; 2003;
Kelly’s Directory of South Wales 1895; 1914; 1920; 1926
Annual Report – Tabernacl C M Chapel, Cardigan 1901
List of Voters – Cardigan 25/07/1910
Register of Electors – Cardigan 1912; 1955
Parish Registers of St. Mary’s, Cardigan
Statement of Account – St Mary’s Church 31/12/1938
Telephone Directory – South Wales District 1940
Post Office Telephone Directory 1950; 1953; 1955
Annual Report – Capel Mair, Cardigan 1952
Planning Decision – Greystones 11/10/1982
Cardigan Civic Festival Programme 1986
The 1992 Cardigan Guide
Buildings of Architectural or Historic Interest – Cardigan, CADW 1992
The 1993 Guide to Cardigan
The Cardigan Guide 1994
The Phone Book 2003.
© Glen K Johnson 15/06/2011