On 14th April 1848 money was being collected towards building a boys’ schoolroom for Llangoedmor. On 8th December 1848 the new building was almost finished, complete with Master and Mistresses House. It was probably designed by William Jenkins, Blaenbarthen. In 1861 Albert D. Parkin, 20, was the headmaster of the National School and lived in the Master’s House. Also resident was John Richards, 17, pupil teacher. In 1871 William Williams, 53, was the teacher and lived at the school house with his mother – Ann Williams, 81. In 1875-81 the Master of the National School was William S. Jenkins. In 1881 the following persons lived here: William M. Jenkyns, 40, certificated schoolmaster; Mary A. Jenkyns, 40, his wife, schoolmistress; Basil Jenkyns, 14, their son; Ambrose Jenkyns, 13, son; Lucy Jenkyns, 8, daughter; Thoedora Jenkyns, 6, daughter; Helena Jenkyns, 4, daughter; Spyridon Jenkyns, 2, son; Christine Jenkyns, 9 months, daughter; and Elizabeth Jenkyns, 67, widowed mother, retired cook.
In September 1890 Anne Davies died here aged 80. In December 1890 Edgar James Davies died here aged 3 months. In 1891 the following persons lived here: William Davies, 39, schoolmaster; Anne Davies, 35, his wife; John George Davies, 9, their son; Thomas William Davies, 7, son; and David Arthur Davies, 5, son. On 22nd February 1902 David Davies died here aged 65. In 1902 Mr. E. Thomas was the master. In February 1903 the schoolmaster’s house was advertised to let. In 1911 Arthur Evans lived at the school house. In November 1912 the school house was advertised to let. On 26th May 1922 it was proposed to close the close the school – a move opposed by the parishioners. A report that year stated:
“…Buildings very clean. Playground very small. Needs extra windows. Water supply nil, a “pistyll” 200 yards away is used. As cattle drink from the supply it should not be used for drinking…”
The water was obtained from another source by the time the report was published. In 1925 B. Joshua lived in the school house. The school had a capacity for 60 pupils, and in 1926-43 Miss Mary Evans was the Mistress. In November 1935 Anne Joshua of this address died aged 70. On 16th October 1943 Miss Mary Evans, headmistress, married John D. James of Trewindsor Farm, Llangoedmor. In February 1944 Mrs. Mary James, recently-married, was the headmistress.
On 16th January 1945 James Joshua of the School House died. On 9th December 1949 the school was threatened with closure. Closure was confirmed on 4th August 1950. In December 1954 Miss Eileen Holt, daughter of Mr. & Mrs. F. Holt of the School House, married John A. E. Griffiths of Cilgerran. The old school and schoolhouse were listed in 1994.
In 1994 the property was described by CADW:
“…1848-9 former school (now Church Hall) and teacher’s house, built and probably designed by William Jenkins of Blaenbarthen, Llangoedmor. Rubble stone with slate roofs. Former school is two-storey with three-window range of C20 stained wood casement-pairs, the surrounds chamfered with cut Cilgerram stone voussoirs and slate sills. Door to left with chamfered surround and triangular Cilgerran stone head. Two ventilators on roof ridge.
School house is one and a half storey, with gabled centre broken forward, C20 bargeboards on timber corbels, first-floor stained wood casement pair with top-lights, ground floor triple casement with top-lights, both windows with cut stone voussoirs to flat heads, and slate painted sills; C20 half-glazed door to left with cambered head and stone voussoirs. A rear wing has brick ridge stack and C20 metal windows in end gable. To front right is single storey outbuilding, former stable with centre door and stone voussoirs…”
Carmarthen Journal 1848
Census Returns 1861; 1871; 1881; 1891
Kelly’s Directory of South Wales 1875; 1926
Llangoedmor Parish Registers
Bye-Laws – United School District of Llangoedmor 29/07/1902
Occupiers’ List of Voters – Llangoedmor 1911
Cardigan & Tivy-Side Advertiser 1902-03; 1912; 1922; 1925; 1927; 1938; 1943-45; 1949-50; 1955
Buildings of Architectural or Historic Interest – Llangoedmor, Julian Orbach, CADW
The Phone Book 2003.
(c) Glen K Johnson 26/06/2013